ADVERTISEMENT

B1G to keep divisions in 2023, will reconfigure in 2024

They probably would have to move to scheduling quads . And the championship game just becomes the two top teams based on conf record and CFP standings .

you play the other 3 in your quad every year and then maybe there has to be one rivalry outside your quad locked in so you keep competitive balance while maintaining annual rivalry games ?

what quads would you like to see ??
I’d like :

East - RU , MD, PSU, Mich St
North - OSU, Mich, Minn, NW
West - USC, UCLA, Neb, Illinois
Central - Indiana, Purdue, Wisc, Iowa

had to switch Illinois and Iowa to balance it out even through geographically isn’t perfectly aligned. But that doesn’t matter all that much.
Assuming this is the lineup, it would work to play the 3 in your pod every year and 2 from each of the other pods. That means you would play every team outside of your pod every two years with rotating home team.

That’s doesn’t mean it’s not more manageable.
On paper? Sure.

In reality, we are still 0-for vs the schools I mentioned since joining the conference. We beat Illinois and Purdue twice a piece (4 wins).

We have more than double the amount of wins vs the eastern division schools since joining. That’s a fact.

pods or 1 division...i don.t see any future scheduling were RU plays 4 teams .(TOSU, UM, MSU and PSU) that are consistently in the top 6 teams in the league...At the end of the day PSU,RU,MD and Indiana will benefit by not having to always play those 4 teams. each year....

Also, more conference games may mean more tv money; but will lessen the odds of more teams being in the expanded playoffs.

Honestly I don't think it matters for 2024 because I think in 2026 you will see at least 2 more teams added.

As I said, there’s a definite downside and why I said it won’t happen but there perks not being mentioned:

- 11 conference games would allow for another tier of inventory. Probably talking $20M more for each school, via a streamer like Amazon or Apple. That’s why it looks like we’re going to 10

- The parity is decreasing. Just look at how many teams lost to G5 or lower this year. And those losses devastate a program. Getting $20M more to play Northwestern instead of Appalachian State may be worth it

- Bragging rights to football and push on AP. Instead of B1G always playing nice guy, they could call out SEC’s weak as hell schedule. Air ads about it. “While other conferences fill their win totals with non-conference opponents — we play each other”. It would have been a total perception campaign, which can be done, but not easy

- Creating that distinction between SEC is important for establishing better conference. But prolly can’t be done until we win a playoff. Could happen this year…

- I still think we move to 20-24 and at some point, you’re more of a league than a conference. National identity, coast to coast, outside of NCAA authority for most part, except playoffs

In the end, I still very much don’t think an 11 conference schedule will happen. ESPN & SEC bias just too damn strong, and wins/loss determine rankings rather than more objective measurements. But I’d love to see it as a fan — a true conference experience where we play every single team at least once every 2 years
It is not creating new inventory and in fact it is decreasing the number of games that the networks can televise. With a 9 game conference schedule there is 72 conference games with 16 teams. Teams schedule 7 homes games meaning the OCC schedule is 3 home games when 4 home conference games or 2 home games and 1 road game when you have 5 home conference games. So using that you get 40 home out of conference games with 16 teams. So that a total inventory of 112 games that the network owns the rights to. With an 11 game conference schedule you have 89 conference games and 16 home OOC conference games. The end result is 95 games that the network owns the rights to.

So you are telling me the TV network is going to $320 million a year to show 17 less games per year? On top of that every two year cycle each school will lose a home game and all the revenue lost with that?

Reactions: Jimpeg
ADVERTISEMENT