ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLOGY: NCAA TOURNAMENT ANALYSIS 2/10

no I wouldnt like it either. Not that I am afraid of them, to me if we are going to the tourney, I dont want to play a local rival, the NCAA shouldnt be matching teams up like that but they like to. I would put this matchup as 50/50 given RU is showing up in the 6 and 7 range while SHU is showing up in the 10/11.

One bracket I've seen has us matched up with Drake, Id rather have something like that, although they should have their best player back by then

My preference among the 11s I have are Oregon, North Carolina and St Bonaventure

if RU is a 6 note that Indiana and Minnesota are coming up as 11s in alot of brackets now and those are schools RU will not face in the first round, likewise if RU is a 7 and those schools are 10s

Would love the bonnies. Revenge factor, and I don't think they are playing well of late either.

Florida State going to shoot up in seedings as predicted. Guessing UVA will not fall much but just wonder about their psyche. Nova should drop a few. WVA? Missouri. Still not sold on Houston. After the Big 4, Gonzaga, Baylor, Michigan and OSU maybe now FSU, seedings could be anybody.

I think we are bound for a matchup with SHU if not St. John's or UConn.

Virginia’s resume seems very overrated to me. Their only win over a sure tourney team came at Clemson in the game Clemson came off pause. They’ve been blown out in every other game against a good team.

Virginia’s resume seems very overrated to me. Their only win over a sure tourney team came at Clemson in the game Clemson came off pause. They’ve been blown out in every other game against a good team.

agree and they lost their shot at a 2 seed for now...they can get there by basically winning out but their resume is trash. I cannot believe how far the ACC has fallen.

Florida State going to shoot up in seedings as predicted. Guessing UVA will not fall much but just wonder about their psyche. Nova should drop a few. WVA? Missouri. Still not sold on Houston. After the Big 4, Gonzaga, Baylor, Michigan and OSU maybe now FSU, seedings could be anybody.

I think we are bound for a matchup with SHU if not St. John's or UConn.

I think FSU is straddling the 3/4 line right now, will see after I numbers crunch

fsu is definitely a trendy final 4 pick, and if I was a 1 seed, I wouldn't want to see them in the sweet 16. They have length, athleticism, and can defend their ass off. Also, have a very good coach.

agree and they lost their shot at a 2 seed for now...they can get there by basically winning out but their resume is trash. I cannot believe how far the ACC has fallen.

I find it mind boggling that they are a projected 3 seed while Oregon (another 4 loss team) is hanging on the bubble. I get that Oregon lost their rivalry game at home by 11 to a bad Oregon State team, but that’s where the quad system seems to fail a bit. Virginia’s neutral loss to SF (Oregon beat them by double digits) seems just as bad to me. Also - Oregon’s other losses are by 3 (WSU isn’t as bad as their record), 7 (Colorado is a tough place to play because of the altitude) and 8 points (Neutral loss to Missouri). There were no blow outs. The neutral SHU win seems almost as good as the post pause Clemson win. What am I missing here? I mean - one team is a 3 seed while the other is in danger of not making the field. That seems like a wild disparity.

fsu is definitely a trendy final 4 pick, and if I was a 1 seed, I wouldn't want to see them in the sweet 16. They have length, athleticism, and can defend their ass off. Also, have a very good coach.
I just noticed an amazing stat: Florida State is 12-3 and have only played three road games (1-2). They won at Louisville; lost at Georgia Tech and at Clemson. Road games scheduled at Pitt, Boston College, and Virginia Tech were all postponed. They still play at Miami, at UNC, and at Notre Dame.

I think Oregon is comfortably in. Sweep ofArizona put them in. Rest of schedule is manageable.. No more USC/UCLA. Colorado and Utah at home. A bunny at Cal. Stanford is up and down and rivalry game at Oregon State. Looks like playing for seeding. After USC some PAC 12 schools are getting in. UCLA is the one who should perhaps be nervous. I wouldn't mind playing them, don't impress me.

Last edited:
I just noticed an amazing stat: Florida State is 12-3 and have only played three road games (1-2). They won at Louisville; lost at Georgia Tech and at Clemson. Road games scheduled at Pitt, Boston College, and Virginia Tech were all postponed. They still play at Miami, at UNC, and at Notre Dame.

Not exactly Murderer's Row.

While a 7 seed would be great, don't really want the added pressure of a matchup with Seton Hall.

We all know it would be a war and then to turn around and play another game a day later, you have to worry about emotional toll.

no I wouldnt like it either. Not that I am afraid of them, to me if we are going to the tourney, I dont want to play a local rival, the NCAA shouldnt be matching teams up like that but they like to. I would put this matchup as 50/50 given RU is showing up in the 6 and 7 range while SHU is showing up in the 10/11.
I know you literally don't think it is 50%.....

I think there is a very good chance that both schools won't stay at their current position.

Looking at brackets is real fun to do AND I am very happy we are, but let's be honest we are way to early. There is so much season yet to be played.

People are talking Michigan as a 1 seed. They still have to play....
RU
OSU
Iowa
Illinois

They are 9-1 so far and we know how hard B1G is. Let's give them ton of credit.

56-81 is the combined B1G record of the 10 games they have played.

Talk about being lucky, they double up
MD 5-9
MSU 4-8
NW 3-11
PSU 4-9
MIN 6-8
IU 6-7

WIS 9-6

I find it mind boggling that they are a projected 3 seed while Oregon (another 4 loss team) is hanging on the bubble. I get that Oregon lost their rivalry game at home by 11 to a bad Oregon State team, but that’s where the quad system seems to fail a bit. Virginia’s neutral loss to SF (Oregon beat them by double digits) seems just as bad to me. Also - Oregon’s other losses are by 3 (WSU isn’t as bad as their record), 7 (Colorado is a tough place to play because of the altitude) and 8 points (Neutral loss to Missouri). There were no blow outs. The neutral SHU win seems almost as good as the post pause Clemson win. What am I missing here? I mean - one team is a 3 seed while the other is in danger of not making the field. That seems like a wild disparity.

Oregon has no

because they are in first place in the ACC that is why

meanwhile Oregon has 2 Q3 losses at HOME....and beating SHU and Stanford are good wins but nothing great. Yes Virginia's win over Clemson is better than both. I think Oregon is hurt by playing only 16 games thus far. The ACC isnt good but neither is the Pac 10

I think Oregon is comfortably in. Sweep ofArizona put them in. Rest of schedule is manageable.. No more USC/UCLA. Colorado and Utah at home. A bunny at Cal. Stanford is up and down and rivalry game at Oregon State. Looks like playing for seeding. After USC some PAC 12 schools are getting in. UCLA is the one who should perhaps be nervous. I wouldn't mind playing them, don't impress me.

none of those Pac 12 schools are in YET besides USC and probably Colorado. Losing in the Pac 12 is all about landmines, there are some bad schools you can lose to

I know you literally don't think it is 50%.....

I think there is a very good chance that both schools won't stay at their current position.

Looking at brackets is real fun to do AND I am very happy we are, but let's be honest we are way to early. There is so much season yet to be played.

People are talking Michigan as a 1 seed. They still have to play....
RU
OSU
Iowa
Illinois

They are 9-1 so far and we know how hard B1G is. Let's give them ton of credit.

56-81 is the combined B1G record of the 10 games they have played.

Talk about being lucky, they double up
MD 5-9
MSU 4-8
NW 3-11
PSU 4-9
MIN 6-8
IU 6-7

WIS 9-6

we are pretty good for 6/7 and them for 7/11, I suppose we can slip to 8 but they could also rise to 9. I think there is a 50/50 chance they match us up with them.

Michigan isnt a lock for a 1 but I have no reason to think they will not at least split those games but most likely go 3-1

Oregon has no

because they are in first place in the ACC that is why

meanwhile Oregon has 2 Q3 losses at HOME....and beating SHU and Stanford are good wins but nothing great. Yes Virginia's win over Clemson is better than both. I think Oregon is hurt by playing only 16 games thus far. The ACC isnt good but neither is the Pac 10

I’m not saying Virginia isn't ahead of Oregon but one is a projected 3 seed vs a 10/11. SHU, Stanford and the Arizona sweep seem at least comparable with Virginia’s collection of best 4 wins even if winning at Clemson is the best of the stand alone wins for either school.

As far as the losses, you are right on paper about Oregon’s Q3 losses, but geez Virginia’s losses are nothing to brag about. All blow outs except SF (a team Oregon beat by 10) and despite the quads, SF isn’t good at all.

we are pretty good for 6/7 and them for 7/11, I suppose we can slip to 8 but they could also rise to 9. I think there is a 50/50 chance they match us up with them.

Michigan isnt a lock for a 1 but I have no reason to think they will not at least split those games but most likely go 3-1
Michigan could be good, but I don’t have enough evidence that they are. They have beaten good teams. They haven’t played any really good teams.

whoever gets Ohio State is going to lick their chops, they are beatable, in fact I could see a 8/9 beating them.
Doesn’t the Ohio State coach have a Tom Izzo-like reputation for his teams getting better as seasons progress?

Oakland takes them to OT
They beat PSU at home by 4
They lost by 18 to MIN

the 2nd best team they beat is Purdue

Rutgers 64
Michigan 53

so working through the update today, hopefully up maybe late afternoon or early evening

preview: MARYLAND IN....and not as a last 4 in

Our NET is 29, Q1 4-6 Q2 3-1, but 10 LoyolaChi Q1 1-2, 11 Colgate 0 Q1, 25 San Diego St Q1 0-3 and 28 BYU Q1 3-3 Q2 2-2 are behind our overall rank, We beat Purdue head to head, and LSU is Q1 3-5 Q2 1-1. We are 23rd in Lunardi.

7th line, 26th Arkansas(3-4,6-1) moves up W vs 27th Florida, 19 Missouri(5-4 1-2,NET 43) should drop below us with loss @ Ga, 3 straight losses. 25th Colorado(2-3,5-0) could move up @ Oregon, Feb 18th. 24th Purdue(3-7,6-0) beat MSU, yesterday.

Hypothetically, 23 RU win at Michigan, 5-6, 3-1, would move us to the 5 line with a very slim chance at top 16 on Saturday, 22 Kansas(4-7,3-0) @ Q3 Kansas St., 21 Va Tech(3-2,4-2) off til Sat., 20 Wisconsin will stay ahead of us win(4-5,5-2) or might drop below with loss(3-6,5-2) @ Iowa, they have a head to head win but RU would have wins over NET #3 and #4 and more Q1 wins, 2 losses to #6 and #7, 18 Creighton(Q1 3-1, Q2 7-1)off and barring losses by 17 USC(3-1,3-1) vs ASU, 16 Tenn(4-4,1-1) Vs USC, or 13 TTU(4-5,1-1) @ TCU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT