7. Purdue
8. Rutgers
9. Michigan State
Maryland
Indiana
Northwestern
13. Penn State
14. Nebraska

So its been hard to decipher in the early going what is going on in the Big 10. What is so great about the league is on any given night probably any of 12 schools can beat each other. Everyone faces the gauntlet and there are no nights off. Getting wins in bunches is huge. Getting losses in bunches is equally huge. The past week or so though has made it a little easier to break things into some groupings. Michigan after pummeling Wisconsin, looked like they were emerging as a clear leader but suffered the trap game blues to a rapidly improving Minnesota. For now though they and Iowa look like they might have a bit of separation on the rest. Iowa has performed quite well of late. These two giants unfortunately only meet once and that is not until the last week of the season.

While Wisconsin had been touted as a conference title contender. I think their play in the past 2 weeks has shown they are cut below the top 2. They lost to middling Maryland and then were decimated at Michigan. They got the win at Rutgers but looked very unimpressive throughout. Ohio State has surprised somewhat where you really have to say they have moved into the top 5 of the league with their 3 win streak. Illinois still considered top 5 but the bloom is off somewhat. Probably the biggest surprise is their uneven performances even within the same game. No problem being very tough on them because they had extremely high expectations. Their schedule is extremely challenging ahead so we will know soon if they can get things going again.

Then you have Minnesota, biggest surprise in the league thus far IMO. They have 3 gigantic wins...Michigan and Iowa which are feather in their cap wins for NCAA tourney purposes. Also have a beatdown win over Michigan State. Yet they also have been blowout by double digits 4 times. Which way do they go? Honestly their schedule isnt exactly the toughest in the next month. Purdue another surprise and have picked up a bunch of impressive wins, 3 in a row. Defense will keep them in most games

Rutgers biggest enigma. Went from possible top 10 to hard to watch in a snap of the fingers. Almost impossible to gauge right now.

I would say there is a grouping of 4 schools that at this time are extremely tough to seperate Tough to place Michigan State. Underperforming for sure. Conference wins just Nebby and Rutgers but its hard to count an Izzo team out and now the Covid setback presents an issue going forward. Maryland has beaten Wisconsin and Illinois but looked rather average in its other games. Indiana has talent but not putting it together at all. Northwestern got those 3 great wins early but have absolutely been hammered in its 5 game skid and I think turning out to be a fraud.

Penn State covid issues were a major setback so I do not know how they recover their season

Nebraska looks awful and now Covid infecting virtually everyone, best to just shut them down.

The way Rutgers has performed the last two weeks is disturbing because they have loss the ability to score even 65 points a game. Number 8 ranking is generous based on earlier success .Michigan State always defeats Rutgers and Indiana and Northwestern will be tough on the road.The season for Rutgers has now reached must win games which only adds pressure on the players.

yeah it is but the problem is the teams below them have not done anything of note either. On trend alone RU is headed to the bottom 4 in league play however Penn State and Indiana are clearly 2nd tier teams. If Rutgers is for real they beat both

This is a pretty accurate list. Think Maryland might even get a bump over Michigan state with wins over Illinois and Wisconsin on the road ...their schedule gets a “little weaker”...so be interesting to see if they can make up
Some ground in the standings

Reactions: RUJMM78
1, Iowa
2. Michigan
3. Wisconsin
4. Ohio State
5. Illinois
6. Minnesota
7. Purdue
8. Rutgers
9. Michigan State
Maryland
Indiana
Northwestern
13. Penn State
14. Nebraska

So its been hard to decipher in the early going what is going on in the Big 10. What is so great about the league is on any given night probably any of 12 schools can beat each other. Everyone faces the gauntlet and there are no nights off. Getting wins in bunches is huge. Getting losses in bunches is equally huge. The past week or so though has made it a little easier to break things into some groupings. Michigan after pummeling Wisconsin, looked like they were emerging as a clear leader but suffered the trap game blues to a rapidly improving Minnesota. For now though they and Iowa look like they might have a bit of separation on the rest. Iowa has performed quite well of late. These two giants unfortunately only meet once and that is not until the last week of the season.

While Wisconsin had been touted as a conference title contender. I think their play in the past 2 weeks has shown they are cut below the top 2. They lost to middling Maryland and then were decimated at Michigan. They got the win at Rutgers but looked very unimpressive throughout. Ohio State has surprised somewhat where you really have to say they have moved into the top 5 of the league with their 3 win streak. Illinois still considered top 5 but the bloom is off somewhat. Probably the biggest surprise is their uneven performances even within the same game. No problem being very tough on them because they had extremely high expectations. Their schedule is extremely challenging ahead so we will know soon if they can get things going again.

Then you have Minnesota, biggest surprise in the league thus far IMO. They have 3 gigantic wins...Michigan and Iowa which are feather in their cap wins for NCAA tourney purposes. Also have a beatdown win over Michigan State. Yet they also have been blowout by double digits 4 times. Which way do they go? Honestly their schedule isnt exactly the toughest in the next month. Purdue another surprise and have picked up a bunch of impressive wins, 3 in a row. Defense will keep them in most games

Rutgers biggest enigma. Went from possible top 10 to hard to watch in a snap of the fingers. Almost impossible to gauge right now.

I would say there is a grouping of 4 schools that at this time are extremely tough to seperate Tough to place Michigan State. Underperforming for sure. Conference wins just Nebby and Rutgers but its hard to count an Izzo team out and now the Covid setback presents an issue going forward. Maryland has beaten Wisconsin and Illinois but looked rather average in its other games. Indiana has talent but not putting it together at all. Northwestern got those 3 great wins early but have absolutely been hammered in its 5 game skid and I think turning out to be a fraud.

Penn State covid issues were a major setback so I do not know how they recover their season

Nebraska looks awful and now Covid infecting virtually everyone, best to just shut them down.

I think you got everything right except Rutgers. I just don't know how you can put Rutgers ahead of MSU after the shellacking Sparty put on us. I think we belong in that group with MSU, MD, NW, and IU unless and until we can get out of this funk.

Right now, if Minny is the biggest surprise team (in a positive way), we are the biggest disappointment at 3-5 and looking anemic.

I think you got everything right except Rutgers. I just don't know how you can put Rutgers ahead of MSU after the shellacking Sparty put on us. I think we belong in that group with MSU, MD, NW, and IU unless and until we can get out of this funk.

Right now, if Minny is the biggest surprise team (in a positive way), we are the biggest disappointment at 3-5 and looking anemic.

tough call but then I looked at Sparty...win over RU and Nebby and then shellacked by Minny, Northwestern. To be fair RU did beat Illinois and Purdue so those are better wins than what Sparty has. I think RU based on totality has done more than those teams behind them. Northwestern gets dinged because they have been routed in their last 5 games so their wins are long forgotten. I do think RU is one loss away from joining those 4 or even entering the bottom 4

This is a pretty accurate list. Think Maryland might even get a bump over Michigan state with wins over Illinois and Wisconsin on the road ...their schedule gets a “little weaker”...so be interesting to see if they can make up
Some ground in the standings

I tried to do one last week and threw my arms up in the air as I couldnt seperate much. It was a bit easier this week, more games gets played the more we start to see the tiers. The Covid issues are keeping the full evaluations of teams from being done. Maryland has some upside because they have two quality wins but need to play more games

I tried to do one last week and threw my arms up in the air as I couldnt seperate much. It was a bit easier this week, more games gets played the more we start to see the tiers. The Covid issues are keeping the full evaluations of teams from being done. Maryland has some upside because they have two quality wins but need to play more games

agreed.

1, Iowa
2. Michigan
3. Wisconsin
4. Ohio State
5. Illinois
6. Minnesota
7. Purdue
8. Rutgers
9. Michigan State
Maryland
Indiana
Northwestern
13. Penn State
14. Nebraska

Nice analysis. I think I’d put Iowa and Mich in a tie for 1st, and would put us in 9th behind MSU in 8th.

1, Iowa
2. Michigan
3. Wisconsin
4. Ohio State
5. Illinois
6. Minnesota
7. Purdue
8. Rutgers
9. Michigan State
Maryland
Indiana
Northwestern
13. Penn State
14. Nebraska

Nice balanced list. Agree pretty much. I would argue that Rutgers should still be ahead of Purdue as we beat them without Ron , their wins have been okay , with a little luck at MSU after being down 15 . Do not think this is one of Painter’s better teams but that tells you what a good coach he is. Our close losses to Iowa and Wisconsin , that it can easily be argued should have been wins, is worth more to me. No one home or away is staying within 15 of Iowa , besides us, except the Minnesota home game they lost in OT when Johnson hit 8of 9 threes late . Minnesota has those 4 ranked high double digit home wins but no road wins and double digit road losses. So the Rutgers , Purdue, Minnesota order is up for debate.

based on current play Minny and Purdue are clearly ahead of Rutgers, I dont think its a debate. I gave RU the benefit of the doubt by keeping them ahead of Michigan State.

Minnesota has wins over the top 2 teams in league. I will let that speak for itself

yeah it is but the problem is the teams below them have not done anything of note either. On trend alone RU is headed to the bottom 4 in league play however Penn State and Indiana are clearly 2nd tier teams. If Rutgers is for real they beat both

Indiana will eat our offense up if we play the the same minute distributions/rotations we have of late.
Unfortunately, we are teetering on that thin line we discussed and If the coach doesn’t make a marked change to the offense I don’t see how this gets righted.

oh Indiana can easily beat us and will be a clear favorite....and that is disappointing given how Indiana has been middling all year long

Reactions: RUsojo
Things can flip real quick in a week.

look at our week ahead. We are a bad week away from being in the Bottom four...and writing our season of....

but a very good week from being 5-5, likely tied with that Ohio state in 7th...and 1 game behind Purdue who would be 5th at 6-4 with a loss to Michigan,(and we own the tie breaker with) and 1/2 game behind minny who we have two games with

so much Time is left ...just need to right the ship NOW and not crumble in a big way ....

Have not dived into these threads, there are so many moving parts on a lot of these teams, literally 1 game at a time.

Ohio State is missing a starting guard CJ Walker...yes they have won without him a couple of times, eventually tonight, that catches up to you.

Purdue, seemingly dead in the water twice on the road at Sparty and Ohio State, pulls out 2 wins....add to that a 8 game series winning streak vs Indiana and that's 3 road wins...can their freshman and RS frosh continue to develop??

It is really impossible to evaluate RU without Cliff Omoyuri playing in all of their games...same with Caleb McConnell...I could easily argue BOTH are starters on more than half the B1G rosters if they're 100% healthy, yet RU fans somehow act as if both players not playing all season doesn't matter. I don't even want to speculate on what Jaden Jones could expand upon in a few minutes per half, once he's up to speed....anyone with his shot making ability, should land on the court sooner rather than later.

The teams that don't consistently play good defense, will eventually give ground in the standings. That bodes well for teams that can improve on defense as the season moves forward (RU, MSU, Purdue all have size inside or a defense 1st mindset).

The teams that find bench points or points and playmaking from their frosh or underclassmen will make the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT