ADVERTISEMENT

Bad Weekend for RU Sports (Lacrosse & Womens Soccer)

ScarletKid2008

All American
Sep 8, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
Rutgers is still searching for its first Big Ten championship and it seems like another year is likely to go by without one.

Coming into this weekend both men's lacrosse and women's soccer were sitting in second place in the Big Ten standings and represented our best chances at perhaps clinching that illusive first Big Ten Championship. A win for lacrosse would've tied them with MD for first place. A win for women's soccer would've kept them in pace with Penn St, who they had beaten and were only 2 points behind.

Both teams unfortunately lost and seems like the distance now between them and first place is not going to be able to be made up. So it looks like the best chance in awhile has faded for two different programs in one single weekend.

Of course you have the Big Ten tournament for both teams (and others) .

I’ll give men’s lax AND Field Hockey much better odds of winning a B1G tourney title than women’s soccer. The guys are due to catch Maryland on “bad” day sooner or later. FH, while losing twice to Michigan on the road this weekend (1-0 in shootout, 1-0) Has close the gap tremendously and could beat these teams on any given night. Women’s soccer, unfortunately, is a relatively young side other than a few key pieces and when you can’t score, you can’t win, bottom line.

The team to watch out for, however, is women’s crew. Don’t sell them short. They could very well pull this off!

I’ll give men’s lax AND Field Hockey much better odds of winning a B1G tourney title than women’s soccer. The guys are due to catch Maryland on “bad” day sooner or later. FH, while losing twice to Michigan on the road this weekend (1-0 in shootout, 1-0) Has close the gap tremendously and could beat these teams on any given night. Women’s soccer, unfortunately, is a relatively young side other than a few key pieces and when you can’t score, you can’t win, bottom line.

The team to watch out for, however, is women’s crew. Don’t sell them short. They could very well pull this off!
Exactly. I'm not nearly as upset at MLax or FH losing to bonafide NC contenders as I am at women's soccer who are becoming perennial underachievers under O'Neill's watch.

Rutgers is still searching for its first Big Ten championship and it seems like another year is likely to go by without one.

Coming into this weekend both men's lacrosse and women's soccer were sitting in second place in the Big Ten standings and represented our best chances at perhaps clinching that illusive first Big Ten Championship. A win for lacrosse would've tied them with MD for first place. A win for women's soccer would've kept them in pace with Penn St, who they had beaten and were only 2 points behind.

Both teams unfortunately lost and seems like the distance now between them and first place is not going to be able to be made up. So it looks like the best chance in awhile has faded for two different programs in one single weekend.

Of course you have the Big Ten tournament for both teams (and others) .
We have had an individual B1G Championship before.

Huh? Tell me where his equates to 'becoming perennial underachievers:' https://scarletknights.com/sports/2017/6/11/sports-w-soccer-stats-html.aspx

We have a built in recruiting pipeline from PDA to RU that supports our program with some of the top talent in the NE without really having to work for it. We lost to Central Connecticut State on our home field in the first round of the NCAAs in 2019. Despite this high level of talent we cant put the ball in the net with any sort of consistency. Sum it up for you?

We have a built in recruiting pipeline from PDA to RU that supports our program with some of the top talent in the NE without really having to work for it. We lost to Central Connecticut State on our home field in the first round of the NCAAs in 2019. Despite this high level of talent we cant put the ball in the net with any sort of consistency. Sum it up for you?
Forget about putting the ball as I said in another thread we play not to lose; Wisconsin had 1 shot on goal the whole game and beat us!! The stats said we had 7 shots on goal the whole game but not 1 quality scoring chance; heck we barely know how to make quality corner kicks after Wisconsin scored the goal we got 2 corner kicks and the second one was 10 yards over the net and out of bounds!!

Forget about putting the ball as I said in another thread we play not to lose; Wisconsin had 1 shot on goal the whole game and beat us!! The stats said we had 7 shots on goal the whole game but not 1 quality scoring chance; heck we barely know how to make quality corner kicks after Wisconsin scored the goal we got 2 corner kicks and the second one was 10 yards over the net and out of bounds!!

I watched a good chunk of the game yesterday. The wind was a MAJOR factor in the game. Gusts of 25mph+ which took the ball all over the place. With that said - RU hardly even threatened when the wind was at our back. It was really disappointing, definitely a game RU should've come up with the W.

Agreed, that pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

I'm sick of hearing the excuses at this point honestly. Folks on here deflect and get defensive because they cant accept the truth or are resistant to change.

I see their point to some extent. Why would we change our coach now when we're a winning program. Honestly, I think we win most of time in spite of Mike's game plan. If you look at it from another perspective, there might not be a btr time to change than now. We have plenty of talent and a top class coming in so the list of candidates would be higher level compared to those interested in a rebuild. Just my 2 cents.

I watched a good chunk of the game yesterday. The wind was a MAJOR factor in the game. Gusts of 25mph+ which took the ball all over the place. With that said - RU hardly even threatened when the wind was at our back. It was really disappointing, definitely a game RU should've come up with the W.

This weekend was an absolute disaster for this team. Win- out and you share the league title with Penn state for the regular season. Instead we completely shit the bed. Combine it with the tie to Maryland - an absolutely awful program right now - in which we didn’t score a single goal in regulation, plus 2OT’s, and I don’t know how anyone can argue that this team isn’t under-achieving.

I’m gonna say this until I’m blue in the face but there is a very, very simple solution:

If I’m Pat Hobbs and I see the consistent winning and trips to the NCAA tournament, but the inability to score against far inferior programs or when it’s needed, I told Coach O’Neill that it’s time to hire an offensive- minded genius as his top assistant coach and I find him the funds to do so. We can recruit, nobody is denying that, but he does not develop players on that side of the ball nor does he coach it properly.

Crew has been improving ... and FH looks solid ... not impossible for either one to get it done, or another team step up and beat someone having a bad day. WSOCCER might come down to a lucky bounce, maybe RU is in the zone in Lacrosse like they looked vs OSU and UM ... you never know.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I’m gonna say this until I’m blue in the face but there is a very, very simple solution:

If I’m Pat Hobbs and I see the consistent winning and trips to the NCAA tournament, but the inability to score against far inferior programs or when it’s needed, I told Coach O’Neill that it’s time to hire an offensive- minded genius as his top assistant coach and I find him the funds to do so. We can recruit, nobody is denying that, but he does not develop players on that side of the ball nor does he coach it properly.

That's a decent bridge but he gets two years max to show substantial improvement otherwise he'll be relieved of his duties. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT