ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Baker/Young on NBA Draft early entree list

Reactions: RUChoppin
It's the 7th.

A strange quirk in that NCAA and NBA have different deadlines.

NCAA is 10 days after end of Combine (7th) to return to college.

NBA has a deadline to witdraw of the 17th.
I believe NBA has a limit to number of times you can be in the draft (twice?) So they give a deadline to withdraw.
The player doesn't burn one of their chances in the draft.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-2021-nba-draft.216529/
Didn't realize there were two different dates for NBA vs NCAA. For what reason would someone withdraw between those two dates?

Reactions: NickRU714
I won’t be disappointed if Geo doesn’t come back, even though I expect him to be back.

Want to see what the young players can do, not the clubhouse lawyers.

A Geo focused on basketball is a nice keep. Especially with losing talent to Oregon.

The guy spouting off about the NCAA all the time being a social justice warrior, I'll pass on.

in fact, being on the list means you aren't likely to be drafted. No one outside of the 0.1% are likely to be drafted. only 60 spots, how many of those will go to international players too?
Well said. Both are back (Geo and RHJ) IMHO.

It seems like a bunch of kids are announcing combine invites. Would think we would hear soon if our guys were invited?

Looks like RHJ was a late add or left off earlier list?
Really weird.

Teams submitter on their list of 70 over the weekend.
Wonder if teams were asking why RHJ wasn't there?

Are you saying the post he replied to referencing social justice wasn't political?
It seems like some feel the need to put politics in every sports related thread they can.
Then replies base on that political entry start popping up.
So if the reply is chastised the poster who started the political BS needs to be complained about as well .

I feel Young got a quick assessment from the NBA that his draft status wasn't he best and Jacob decided going back to the college game was in his best interest and decided to play for a third program , one that his brother played for.

Geo, I feel, will get the same type of assessment, not ready for prime time and decide one more year at Rutgers is best for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Geo is not going to play for another college. Love him or hate him you can’t deny his commitment to the RU brand and Pike at this point.

He won’t get drafted this year either and at this point there’s more overall upside for him in returning to RU for a grad degree plus whatever connections he builds relating to the NIL effort than the potential lost year of revenue abroad. For these reasons I can’t see him not coming back.

It’s the worst kept secret ever.
Despite the literal crazy ramblings of a small few, neither have a great chance of even being a 2nd round pick.

If either stay in the draft, hoping for a slim chance at being a 2nd round pick - that actually be curious about the inner workings of the program.

It’s the worst kept secret ever.
Despite the literal crazy ramblings of a small few, neither have a great chance of even being a 2nd round pick.

If either stay in the draft, hoping for a slim chance at being a 2nd round pick - that actually be curious about the inner workings of the program.
They are definitely not getting drafted this year. Whether they return or not, remains to be seen.

Did they get Combine invites or not? Does anyone know?

Dont know yet.
They haven’t released the full invite list yet.
Just reports on a couple individual players.

Note - Mac McClung got an invite to the G-League camp not the actual Combine.
That’s better than nothing for him but not ideal.

We definitely need Ron back. Those 32 minutes would be very difficult to replace. If Geo left I’d bet there would be people calling Pike. There is a huge difference in the supply of 1/2s compared to 3/4s. When you look back at the past 15 years our biggest roster deficiency was wing players (3/4)

Reactions: Mr Magoo
We definitely need Ron back. Those 32 minutes would be very difficult to replace. If Geo left I’d bet there would be people calling Pike. There is a huge difference in the supply of 1/2s compared to 3/4s. When you look back at the past 15 years our biggest roster deficiency was wing players (3/4)
Agree with you completely. Definitely need Harper back. We would be ok without Geo and I think we’d be able to get a comparable replacement.

The thing with Ron is that unlike most guys, an amazing return senior season at RU would elevate his draft status as the son of a former NBA star. But you never know what’s being whispered in his ear about his chances right now. I think he would have hired an agent by now though if he was going to leave.

I just don’t see any way Geo isn’t back. If he was going to Europe he’d of done it already. Hes not on the radar to be drafted this year. I don’t think either of them would transfer to another college, but in Geo’s case there’s zero chance as it would kill his NIL earning potential. He’s branded to RU for better or worse. He loves RU too to be fair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT