ADVERTISEMENT

Band Question: The Whistle

RUforester72

All Conference
Jul 23, 2014
Bend Oregon
I have a recording of the RU marching band performing a medley and on occasion you can hear a whistle in the background. What's the purpose? Is it related to marching? Does it signal the next song? And who has the whistle?

How old is the recording?

Sometimes you will have signals to indicate when to march and when to perform a maneuver. However, if it's a halftime show you should never need a whistle to indicate anything other than to start the performance or to march off the field at the end.

Usually it's the drum major who is blowing the whistle, although with the current director he's taken over some of the responsibilities of the drum majors, so who knows.

How old is the recording?

Sometimes you will have signals to indicate when to march and when to perform a maneuver. However, if it's a halftime show you should never need a whistle to indicate anything other than to start the performance or to march off the field at the end.

Usually it's the drum major who is blowing the whistle, although with the current director he's taken over some of the responsibilities of the drum majors, so who knows.

I believe that the recording is dated 2001. It is titled "Men of Rutgers, The Bells Must Ring, and Colonel Rutgers Medley". I downloaded it from the web. THANKS for the insights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT