ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Opens at #9 Miami

ruhoops21

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2004
The 2014-15 baseball club gets their inaugural Big Ten season underway this weekend with a four-game series against ninth-ranked, defending ACC Regular Season champions Miami. It's the fifth time in six seasons that the Scarlet Knights open in Coral Gables against the Hurricanes.

The pitching staff returns seven of its eight most effective pitchers from last season, and is expected to be the strength of the club this spring. Ace lefty Howie Brey (6-3, 2.36 ERA in 2014) returns to be the Knights' Friday starter, and will be followed by junior transfer Mark McCoy, sophomore Kyle Driscoll (3-2, 3.19 ERA, team-leading 58 strikeouts), and reigning American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year Gaby Rosa (6-3, 2.91 ERA). Senior Jon Young, who was named to the initial NCBWA Stopper of the Year watch list, given annually to the nation's best reliever, and sophomore Max Herrman (combined 13 saves and 3.10 ERA in 75.1 IP) return to anchor the bullpen.

Offensively, the Knights will be led by returning all-American Athletic Conference outfield honorees Vinny Zarrillo (.328 BA, team-leading 43 RBIs, team-leading 14 SB) and Mike Carter (.318 BA, team-leading 67 hits, 9 SB). Sophomore right fielder Tom Marcinczyk (.254 BA, 9 extra base-hits) is expected to add pop to the lineup. Two-year starter Joe D'Annunzio (.255 BA, 4 triples, 8 SB) transitions from the outfield to first base, and joins two-way player Gaby Rosa (second base), shortstop Christian Campbell (.263 BA, 45 hits), transfer third baseman Chris Suseck (.252 BA in 70 games at Coastal Carolina), and utility infielder John Jennings (.235 BA, .943 fielding percentage in 51 games) across the diamond. Catcher RJ Devish, who batted at a .480 clip last May, will take over full-time catching duties. Sophomore Chris Folinusz (.300 BA in 19 games) will also see time as another power source.

Rutgers will play four games this weekend at #9 Miami, before traveling to Knoxville for four games against #25 Tennessee. They look to get the season off on the right foot with Brey on the mound tonight.

The pitching staff looks like one of our better ones in recent memory. How does the team look overall? Are we expected to be competitive and possibly grab an NCAA bid? Or is our offense expected to struggle lacking a lot of power?

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
The pitching staff looks like one of our better ones in recent memory. How does the team look overall? Are we expected to be competitive and possibly grab an NCAA bid? Or is our offense expected to struggle lacking a lot of power?
IIRC we were fairly young last year and still are this season. I believe there are only 3 seniors on the roster? I love the way we came on late, last year, and think we can have a very nice inaugural campaign in the B1G. Next season, however, WATCH OUT for this club!

So the Big Ten poll came out and we're not even in the top 6. I find that a bit short-sighted but understandable. Only Nebraska, IU, and Mary, made the NCAA's last year and we're as good if not better than OSU, Michigan, and Illinois. Also, we don't have to face either Nebraska, or Mary, this regular season.

This post was edited on 2/13 10:24 AM by AreYouNUTS

Best pitching since the Brownlie/Egbert era. We did lose four starters from the starting eight, including our top three hitters. We should pitch well. Can we score? That is the question.

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
How you do in the Big 10 will have very little to do with whether you make a Regional. The Big 10 hurts your SOS compared to other conferences. The main thing Big 10 tams have to do is schedule like a couple of the series you have vs. Miami and Tennessee. However you have to take 2/3 in them to have it help. The Big 10 doesn't have many quality teams in it and so you really can't afford to lose any series. Of course being at a minimum of .500 overall is required but usually have to win 35+ games to make a regional. That is why NU has games against Texas, LSU, Texas A&M, Cal St. Fullerton, and UNLV. Teams that are always in the mix for Regional and beyond play to get their RPI(or whatever baseball uses) high enough to withstand the drop it will take in Big 10 play. Basically playing more than 1 series against a school that isn't top 25 OOC hurts when you have the Big 10 schedule. NU also started hosting a tourney out West with Erstads connections with the Angles that NU plays aganst good West coast teams.

Pitching is a huge strength, as our rotation and bullpen are stunningly deep. Brey and Rosa proved last season that they are capable of shutting down anybody on any given afternoon, and the return of Kyle Driscoll, who IMO probably has the most potential of anybody on the staff, adds value to the weekend rotation or the bullpen, depending on where Litterio ultimately sees him as a best fit. McCoy, the transfer from Wake Forest, is an intriguing prospect. He struggled at times with the Demon Deacons, but was drafted by the Brewers out of high school, and is a southpaw with 90+ on his fastball. That's a luxury we haven't had in a while.

I'm not sure if our offense will suffer too much. Since Patrick Kivlehan's marvelous season in 2012, we haven't exactly been a team that relies on the home run. Throughout the last two seasons, Nick Favatella and Brian O'Grady were able to provide some pop, but not that much. What this team brings to the table is a lot of speed and a lot of gap power. Our three most prolific returning offensive talents, Vinny Zarrillo, Mike Carter, and Joe D'Annunzio, combined for 35 extra base hits (including 7 triples) and 31 stolen bases last season. In that same sense, the hope is for sophomores Tom Marcinczyk and Chris Folinusz to become home run threats. Ultimately, though, this will likely be a team that plays small ball: stringing together a bunch of hits, working walks, stealing bases, sacrifice bunting, and manufacturing as many runs as possible behind the pitching staff.

For Rutgers to put themselves in contention for a regional bid, they have to win 37+ games. Breaking down their schedule, every series in B1G play is winnable. Taking two from the Hoosiers in Bloomington could be tough, but with our pitching staff there is no reason to think we can't compete in every game. We have an outstanding opportunity with eight games against Miami and Tennessee to begin the season. To start 4-4 would be a tremendous accomplishment and would get the club going in the right direction.

Ultimately, though, this is a very young team. But the pitching staff has the potential to be so good. We have not had this much depth on the staff in a very, very long time. That is why I am hopeful that a regional is within reach.

This post was edited on 2/13 1:10 PM by ruhoops21

Excellent breakdown hoops and, again, I really think the B1G pollsters are underestimating this team, plus I love that we don't have The Huskers or Twerps!

This is obviously tough for us, playing a top team like Miami that's been practicing outside for weeks.

Go get em boys!

Well i bought a one month BTN All Conference subscription (mainly for wrestling) I hope to see a few RU BB games on that site. Northern Schools definitely seem to be at a big disadvantage when playing the Southern schools this time of the year. If I'm an elite BB prospect,I'd have a hard time picking a Northern school just because of inability to be outside for a good portion of the late fall-early spring.

4 @ Miami
4 @ Tenn
3 @ FAU
3 @ ODU

Miami #13, Tenn #29, ODU getting votes. If we can come out of this stretch 6-9 (1 game with FDU as well...) I'd be very ecstatic. 5-10 would should make us feel good as well. Thoughts?

Originally posted by AreYouNUTS:
4 @ Miami
4 @ Tenn
3 @ FAU
3 @ ODU

Miami #13, Tenn #29, ODU getting votes. If we can come out of this stretch 6-9 (1 game with FDU as well...) I'd be very ecstatic. 5-10 would should make us feel good as well. Thoughts?
Well by my math with what you have posted 6-9 or 5-10 is impossible.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

With as poor as the Big 10 will be for SOS I think if you do go 5-9 or 4-10 in those games you will be watching the regionals on TV. Like I said in a previous post I think you need to be .500. JMO

Originally posted by huskersalways:
4 @ Miami
4 @ Tenn
3 @ FAU
3 @ ODU

3dgrin.r191677.gif

With as poor as the Big 10 will be for SOS I think if you do go 5-9 or 4-10 in those games you will be watching the regionals on TV. Like I said in a previous post I think you need to be .500. JMO
He was counting the one game with FDU as well

Originally posted by huskersalways:
4 @ Miami
4 @ Tenn
3 @ FAU
3 @ ODU

3dgrin.r191677.gif

I learned a long time ago to read the ENTIRE post.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

You know I can only follow things in a list. Don't be sneaking them in the jibber jabber part.
smile.r191677.gif

Tough loss. Breyer went 7 innings giving up 1ER with 9 K. We out hit Miami and blew numerous scoring opportunities. Had a runner thrown out at home. Type of game this season might be like. Good pitching, but can we hit enough?

Overall, not bad against a good Miami team n

Originally posted by GoRutgersGo:

Rutgers lost Saturday night doubleheader 9-5 & 9-3
I don't even want to post the score of the Sunday game against Miami. I took a quick look on Game Tracker and
said 'OMG we're in trouble'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT