ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball roster is cloudy

While it’s nice to have all these guys get drafted it shows why depth is so important at this level. Congrats to those players and hope they achieve all their dreams going forward. It will be interesting to see which ones pass up the chance for now and who actually signs . Pitching and catching are two big hits here.

Luckily, the current staff has been good about bringing transfers into the program

Did we have 6 people drafted?

Luckily, the current staff has been good about bringing transfers into the program

Did we have 6 people drafted?
Assembling talent!
Strong summer league numbers, Cape Cod League, MLB draft worthy.
Those 3 things equal 40 wins in our league.
Projecting the high school players progression is obviously the difficult part.

Last edited:
Assembling talent!
It’s not even difficult to see or assess along the way.
Strong summer league numbers, Cape Cod League, MLB draft worthy.
Those 3 things equal 40 wins in our league.
Projecting the high school players progression is obviously the difficult part.
Winning your midweeks will bring 40+ as well!

Coach Owens has done fabulous job in a few short years. I have no doubt we will continue on an upward trend towards the goal of a college WS spot.

The scheduling for mid week games will always be quite limited. You can only travel so much and there aren’t a ton of successful local programs to choose from. So for a northeastern team the pre-big ten becomes critical. This year the coach cut back from the impossible early season schedules of the past. But when a couple of western teams canceled out, the strength of schedule was reduced more than he anticipated. I am guessing he will find the right balance this year.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
The scheduling for mid week games will always be quite limited. You can only travel so much and there aren’t a ton of successful local programs to choose from. So for a northeastern team the pre-big ten becomes critical. This year the coach cut back from the impossible early season schedules of the past. But when a couple of western teams canceled out, the strength of schedule was reduced more than he anticipated. I am guessing he will find the right balance this year.
Mid week home and home series with Seton Hall, St. John’s, and UConn.

But as we've seen playing midweeks against the Sisters of the Poor doesn't get you into the NCAA's. Rutgers midweek schedule hurt as much as it helped.
You still have to WIN those games and that took us a long way this year. You're not going get a bunch of midweek games where you have to travel far or play multiple games. Just doesn't happen.

Coach Owens and staff have done wonders with the roster. Losing players to the MLB draft is a long-term positive.
They will do a good job rebuilding the roster.
When I think back to the previous regime, there were hardly any Rutgers players competing in the Cape Cod League.

Mid week home and home series with Seton Hall, St. John’s, and UConn.

Not sure if this would have helped RPI -- other than UConn.

Some of last year's final RPI:

42Rutgers
43UConn
54Columbia
55Penn
129Yale
147Army West Point

151Fairfield
161Marist
162Central Conn. St.
166Saint Joseph's
168Stony Brook
171Rider
174Delaware
175Villanova
192Seton Hall
196NJIT
226St. John's (NY)

What does anyone think the chances are that Nick Cimillo will return for our 2023 season? Who else might possibly go pro?

Not sure if this would have helped RPI -- other than UConn.

Some of last year's final RPI:

42Rutgers
43UConn
54Columbia
55Penn
129Yale
147Army West Point

151Fairfield
161Marist
162Central Conn. St.
166Saint Joseph's
168Stony Brook
171Rider
174Delaware
175Villanova
192Seton Hall
196NJIT
226St. John's (NY)
Does Fordham still have a team? I remember reading a few years ago they had more lifetime wins than any other college bb team. Don’t know if that’s still true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT