ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball program wins this type of game

sct1111

All American
Nov 30, 2014
Pike wins this type of game. Game against an established program who is regularly ranked having a down year, our basketball wins this type of game at home. Football just doesn't have the same fearlessness as the basketball team.

They literally had 50k fans loud and on their side and they blew it. This was the most students I've seen at a game for years.

Just very disappointing.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Not if they turn it over like that. Shit happens. Pike doesn't come back from poor decisions and execution. Football has les opportunities to recover as well.

It's got nothing to do with fearlessness; it's entirely due to talent disparity. If you can't block the guy in front of you, it's not because you're afraid of him - it's because you're not talented enough. Same with throwing a pass or making a tackle. If someone told me that the five best players on the field tonight were on Iowa's defense, I wouldn't argue with them.

I know everyone is disappointed but there’s reason to be cautiously optimistic that we can be competitive in most remaining games once Vedral returns. Those of you dismissing him as the answer for the rest of this season need to go rewatch the Syracuse and Michigan games. We all know Noah has some limitations but this offense desperately needs his steady presence and veteran pocket presence. The silver lining from this game is that the run game was able to churn out positive yardage pretty consistently which we couldn’t do last year once the line got depleted. Being able to run for 3-4 yards consistently would make a big difference in opening things up for a QB with a skill set like Vedrals (I.e. game manager - not able to put zip on a long ball but able to use the whole field in the short and medium reads). when there’s no run threat at all like last year that type of QB is far less effective. Let’s see what happens when Vedral comes back and we mix in Gavin for change of pace run options.

Pike wins this type of game. Game against an established program who is regularly ranked having a down year, our basketball wins this type of game at home. Football just doesn't have the same fearlessness as the basketball team.

They literally had 50k fans loud and on their side and they blew it. This was the most students I've seen at a game for years.

Just very disappointing.

The same type of posters who melted down after Lafayette are the same people melting down after yesterday. Probably even some of the same people if i went back and checked.

Reactions: ScarletDave
It's got nothing to do with fearlessness; it's entirely due to talent disparity. If you can't block the guy in front of you, it's not because you're afraid of him - it's because you're not talented enough. Same with throwing a pass or making a tackle. If someone told me that the five best players on the field tonight were on Iowa's defense, I wouldn't argue with them.
There wasn't a big talent disparity. The moment was too big for our young football team. They shit the bed. None of the kids on that team have EVER played infront of an RU crowd that large.

Reactions: sct1111
Dumb comparison on too amny levels. How long has Pike been the coach? How many OL play on the basketball team? How many times has Pike had a first and second string point guard injured? Our fans are the worst.
In his 3rd year pike wins 7 games in conference with a bunch of underrecruited 3 stars.

Also let's be real Wimsatt does not throw for 300 yards in this game. Simon may be the best passer on the team. He's really not 3rd string.

In his 3rd year pike wins 7 games in conference with a bunch of underrecruited 3 stars.

Also let's be real Wimsatt does not throw for 300 yards in this game. Simon may be the best passer on the team. He's really not 3rd string.
I don't mean to be coarse, but I'm sick of the crap on this board. Please don't make comparisons to basketball. It's apples and oranges. Also, we just played one conference game. Can you let the season play out a bit more before declaring this one a failure? We have some real jump to conclusion message bard geniuses on our board. I mean no disrespect. But people need to calm down.

Reactions: shields
I don't mean to be coarse, but I'm sick of the crap on this board. Please don't make comparisons to basketball. It's apples and oranges. Also, we just played one conference game. Can you let the season play out a bit more before declaring this one a failure? We have some real jump to conclusion message bard geniuses on our board. I mean no disrespect. But people need to calm down.
I never said the season is over, I said basketball with this type of environment against a mediocre team wins these types of games, even in year 3.

Fans are allowed to be disappointed and are allowed to criticize the team and coaches.

Just very disappointing.
I think If we had all three QB’S healthy, then maybe
Factor in the third string qb usage
Simon probably would not be the starter, and, if the starter screwed up we would have the next guy up in with hopefully better results

We need better players. Very simple. I think the staff is doing a good job with what we have.
Play the young QB’s & see who the best one is for next year. It’s all about player development.
No reason to panic. Build that O-line. Sam Brown is a great talent & somebody to build around.I expected 4 to 5 wins realisticall. This is a 5 year process.

There wasn't a big talent disparity. The moment was too big for our young football team. They shit the bed. None of the kids on that team have EVER played infront of an RU crowd that large.
And they won't again this year. All those people who flew out of there after the last int. in the 3rd, yeah, most of them won't be coming back

Reactions: RUskoolie
I never said the season is over, I said basketball with this type of environment against a mediocre team wins these types of games, even in year 3.

Fans are allowed to be disappointed and are allowed to criticize the team and coaches.
Sure they are, but how is Iowa's defense mediocre? We knew our offense was challenged, and so was their offense. We each scored one TD and one field goal. Iowa got an additional field goal and two defensive TDs on great defensive plays. Iowa is not a mediocre team.

Sure they are, but how is Iowa's defense mediocre? We knew our offense was challenged, and so was their offense. We each scored one TD and one field goal. Iowa got an additional field goal and two defensive TDs on great defensive plays. Iowa is not a mediocre team.
And their td was a gift after the interference call on an uncatchable pass

I have mixed feelings about that and think that call was 50/50. The ball was not particularly catchable, but our DB was mugging their receiver.
If the DB is beaten on a play, better to let the receiver go without fouling and hope that the pass us uncatchable or not handled by the receiver

You panic, you foul, then you give them first and goal from the two
I only had the one look at it, ,but it seemed like he should have not mugged him

Reactions: Knight Shift
Basketball lost to Umass and Lafayette. You’re right, bball would have won this game but lost to BC and Temple ;) and probably win next week at OSU

I never said they had a mediocre defense. I would say they have an elite defense and a God awful offense. That equals mediocrity.

You are making a judgement based on 4 of 12 games. Where was RU basketball after 33% of the basketball schedule last year? Additionally football and basketball are not comparable. A few players in basketball make a huge difference. Not so in football, you need many good players and depth behind the starters, players get banged up and injured all the time.

Just very disappointing.
Pike didn’t win this kind of game in year 3. At least, not usually.

I never said they had a mediocre defense. I would say they have an elite defense and a God awful offense. That equals mediocrity.
Then, maybe we agree that last night's result should not be a huge surprise and a great source of disappointment? Going in, did we expect more than 10 points by the offense. That's a plus. I guess you could have expected our defense to score or generate some points, but Iowa played a fairly conservative game plan, throwing to TEs and RBs in addition to running a lot.

When Pike got a PG (qb) did things start to happen?

Because some would say we don’t have that in Football yet.

Then, maybe we agree that last night's result should not be a huge surprise and a great source of disappointment? Going in, did we expect more than 10 points by the offense. That's a plus. I guess you could have expected our defense to score or generate some points, but Iowa played a fairly conservative game plan, throwing to TEs and RBs in addition to running a lot.
I'm not surprised by the result at all. Neither was the rest of the crowd. Just very tired of it and disappointed that the team couldn't pull off a very manageable win at home, especially with all the fan support.

And yeah this is the type of game Pike wins. We obviously haven't seen the football team pull anything like this off.

The same type of posters who melted down after Lafayette are the same people melting down after yesterday. Probably even some of the same people if i went back and checked.

Probably some overlap as there's quite a few histrionic posters on this board.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I'm not surprised by the result at all. Neither was the rest of the crowd. Just very tired of it and disappointed that the team couldn't pull off a very manageable win at home, especially with all the fan support.

And yeah this is the type of game Pike wins. We obviously haven't seen the football team pull anything like this off.
With you second sentence I agree with the disappointment, but we fans can only do so much with the crowd interaction, which gets muted by the mickey mouse gameday ops people interrupting the flow. Anyway, the crowd factor is overrated, IMO. I'm done with basketball comparisons. Pike is year 15 or 20 or something like that. 🤣 And it's a 5 man team without having to compensate for overmatched OL play.

Since you mentioned basketball:

I know everyone is disappointed but there’s reason to be cautiously optimistic that we can be competitive in most remaining games once Vedral returns. Those of you dismissing him as the answer for the rest of this season need to go rewatch the Syracuse and Michigan games. We all know Noah has some limitations but this offense desperately needs his steady presence and veteran pocket presence. The silver lining from this game is that the run game was able to churn out positive yardage pretty consistently which we couldn’t do last year once the line got depleted. Being able to run for 3-4 yards consistently would make a big difference in opening things up for a QB with a skill set like Vedrals (I.e. game manager - not able to put zip on a long ball but able to use the whole field in the short and medium reads). when there’s no run threat at all like last year that type of QB is far less effective. Let’s see what happens when Vedral comes back and we mix in Gavin for change of pace run options.
I get the optimism . But like you said “once vedral returns “.
That’s kind of sad that we are depending on a bad 6th year quarterback during year 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT