ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball this weekend

True, but it still sucks for those who go to the games and contribute to our home court advantage. It will definitely be more difficult to make the weekday games. I hope they have exhausted all other options before deciding on this.
This. It is a big deal logistically on weekdays for me to get to the Rutgers Club and the game with my seat guests. And we lose our home court advantage.

Let’s get this renovation done while we still play at Jersey Mike’s!!!

What other teams have arenas in the area? Monmouth has a pretty new one but I think it's like 4k seats

Doesn't the Big10 have a minimum seating capacity requirement? I'd be shocked if you could just move conference games to the Barn, or Big East games to Walsh in Seton Hall's case.
Give it up. Barclays would be a HORRIBLE venue for us, and would easily be a 2-hour commute for a majority of our fan base. It’s not even in the conversation. It’s The Rock, Trenton, or Jadwin.
Or it’s Jersey Mike’s. Let’s not give away our home court advantage!

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Nobody who posts here uses a bathroom or orders a drink or food?
I’ll bet not many season ticket holders here get food.

Bathroom is a different story.

There is no doubt the RAC isn’t a place I could take most clients right now and that would change with the renovations. However I have ZERO interest in taking a client to a game.

This is the reality

1.) we are not playing home games in Barclays …period

2.) if we are going to be without the RAC for a season , then we need to have as many home games on the weekend as possible

-schedule every out of concrence game home game on w weekend in November -December

-make sure the big ten gives us 5 of 10 home games minimum during the weekends …and maybe ask for 6 or 7

This is ludicrous that they cannot stage the work for renovations to keep the RAC open …even if the work has to be staged over two seasons (which I find absurd)

Agree with last 3 points. There would absolutely be some (emphasis on some) travel from NJ to Brooklyn though, and a fair amount from NYC, especially for weekend games.

Barclays is about the same amount of time from Newark as the RAC, and is closer to Hoboken and Jersey City.
What??? No friggin way dude. Plus you can easily take the train to Newark OR Trenton. The PATH goes to Newark in minutes from JC.

Agree with last 3 points. There would absolutely be some (emphasis on some) travel from NJ to Brooklyn though, and a fair amount from NYC, especially for weekend games.

Barclays is about the same amount of time from Newark as the RAC, and is closer to Hoboken and Jersey City.

You’re giving way too much credit to our alumni and fans in NYC and even Hudson County.

Rutgers doesn’t even have an established go/to bar in NYC where fans gather and pack regulatory to watch football or basketball. To be honest, we should be filling multiple bars considering the amount of alumni we have in NYC.

Also, the alumni in these areas probably aren’t season tickets holders at the RAC, so while they may go to a game or two in Brooklyn they’re not the die hard type fans who are going to be making the trek for multiple games.

Have more than 1-2 games in Brooklyn would be a disaster. Even having more than a few games at MSG would be silly, as we don’t have the fanbase who can pack arenas like that on a consistent basis.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
the harsh reality is that very few season ticket holders will make the trip to Brooklyn on a regular basis, for a 18 game home schedule.

the bottom line for me, coming from North Jersey
if a season in Brooklyn, I will not renew when assured it will not affect my longevity pts....I probably attend no games either

If in Newark, I prefer not to renew, but it is not entirely out of the question....I would rather buy tickets for big games now and then, but again, need assurance longevity is not affected

i still don’t get that if they start renovations by February 20th they couldn’t finish by January 1. That’s almost 11 months.

Hopefully , it will be just one venue as it gives our guys a chance to kinda get comfortable with the place and routine throughout the season .

• Love
i still don’t get that if they start renovations by February 20th they couldn’t finish by January 1. That’s almost 11 months.

Hopefully , it will be just one venue as it gives our guys a chance to kinda get comfortable with the place and routine throughout the season .
Despite all the speculation otherwise, if I were a betting man, I'd bet on that window being enough to get it done or at least the first phase.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
You know that’s not what he meant by that, and if he did it just makes the subway the same as every other method of transportation out there. Nobody’s driving to work because they want to either
I personally love the hand to hand combat I experience on my daily Rt. 1 commute. In fact, everyone I know loves sitting in traffic and dealing with tailgaters and road ragers. Traffic - it's the best thing about our great State! And I'd hate to trade that uplifting bumper to bumper commute for reading a book or doing some work on a laptop if I were to take the train. That would surely suck. And all those people packing into NYC, paying that extra rent...so they can have a walking lifestyle....clearly they hate it. Someone must be forcing them to live there.

Last edited:
Reactions: GORU2014
A couple games at Barclays would make sense to me. If we can't play in the RAC (and I hope we can) we should take the opportunity to move around and get exposure to new fans and recruits in the footprint of the State of Rutgers. But no more than one or two games there. The current fanbase should be prioritized and, while it's not as bad as some here are making it sound, it will be less convenient for the majority of RU fans and current season ticket holders than other options.

A couple games at Barclays would make sense to me. If we can't play in the RAC (and I hope we can) we should take the opportunity to move around and get exposure to new fans and recruits in the footprint of the State of Rutgers. But no more than one or two games there. The current fanbase should be prioritized and, while it's not as bad as some here are making it sound, it will be less convenient for the majority of RU fans and current season ticket holders than other options.
Very few regular season ticket holders would go. Imo

Very few regular season ticket holders would go. Imo
I assume that many season ticket holders make the decision to get season tickets in part because they live close to the RAC. That's certainly true for me. Barclays is definitely more convenient for many many RU alums than some other options. And just like many Big Ten teams that like their away game at RU because it gives all their NYC area alums a chance to go to a game, the same could be true for a game at Barclays because there are definitely many many RU alums in NYC. I hope, and assume, that the athletic department is doing more research on this, to get some real data to inform their decisions, than the average fan speculating on a message board.

Last edited:
Reactions: GORU2014
I can't be late for games....I know if I leave my house at 605PM (20 miles) there is no way I won't be in my seats at least 5 minutes before the start. I am always home 30 minutes after the game. I average less that 1 missed game per year.

The math completely changes playing somewhere else. I'll do it as a one off, but am not interested in going multiple times to a foreign place. It is so easy watching on TV.

This isn’t a knock, but our fan base for basketball is generally on the older side given how long we were bad. We’ll probably have a similar issue for football (hopefully less severe, but we’re already seeing some effects). To your point, games in the NYC area could be a good opportunity to engage some of the fan base that might have graduated in that 1995-2015 dead zone.
Good point .
Dead zone was really 92 to 2018.
gotta add 5 more years, which is a whole college experience.

Good point .
Dead zone was really 92 to 2018.
gotta add 5 more years, which is a whole college experience.
Nah. I was a big RU bball fan from starting in 96 through 02 and those were some great years, memorable players, exciting games, etc. Those years definitely carried me during the years since, when I attended at least 1 game each year when life was super busy and the team mostly stunk. I was fully on board early on in pikes tenure as we very quickly saw a difference.

Nah. I was a big RU bball fan from starting in 96 through 02 and those were some great years, memorable players, exciting games, etc. Those years definitely carried me during the years since, when I attended at least 1 game each year when life was super busy and the team mostly stunk. I was fully on board early on in pikes tenure as we very quickly saw a difference.
There were some decent moments . But the Plum overall analysis those teams stunk . We had some nice moments at the RAC and MSG, but none of those teams even had a winning record in conference .

There were some decent moments . But the Plum overall analysis those teams stunk . We had some nice moments at the RAC and MSG, but none of those teams even had a winning record in conference .
We were 1 victory away from dancing in 1998-1999!

For the "State of New Jersey reasons", the Prudential Center will be the hub for home games. It offers mass transit, a shorter commute for fans in northern NJ and a chance to eat some wings pregame, grab a beer or burger and deal with it for a year.

I don't see the big deal, it's not going to change the integrity of the RAC....relax folks, there are bigger things to worry about.

Reactions: sct1111
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT