ADVERTISEMENT

Beat Nebraska...

LETSGORU91

All American
Jan 29, 2017
...and this football program gains some instant credibility, especially in their stadium. Nebrraska is smarting and will be looking to make a statement against Rutgers next week. My wish is for Ash/Kill/Rutgers to come out firing on all offensive cylinders and not pussy foot around with this game.

It is certainly a game we should consider winnable. I don't care how pissed off they might be.

I'd love to win this game, and I'm not saying we can't, but please let's temper expectations here as we go to Lincoln and have to play in front of 100,000 people screaming against us following the lost to a MAC team.

There's still a considerable difference between these two programs, and these two teams on the field right now, case in point from Sagarin (updated):

Nebraska – 58th
Rutgers - 106th

That being said they have issues, however, they run a gimmick offense and that worries me with our defense right now.

Rutgers isn't beating Nebraska. Think about how up they'll be after yesterday's embarrassing loss. Ash can't beat a mediocre Big Ten team at home you think he's going to get a win in that place? It's ok to dream though.

My wish is for Ash/Kill/Rutgers to come out firing on all offensive cylinders and not pussy foot around with this game.

I'd love to see some very aggressive calls on offense and defense.. and, to flip the script here.. that is what I expect Nebraska to do.. to play like they have nothing left to lose. Balls-to-the-wall just like Texas just did. We have to be ready to match that intensity... and I don't think our guys came out vs Morgan State with any intensity... add EMU to that example also.

Rutgers isn't beating Nebraska. Think about how up they'll be after yesterday's embarrassing loss. Ash can't beat a mediocre Big Ten team at home you think he's going to get a win in that place? It's ok to dream though.

They have been embarrassed their first 3 games! They are not a very good football team this year. Does this mean we beat them? No! But the chance is absolutely there to do so!

Reactions: eceres
I'd love to win this game, and I'm not saying we can't, but please let's temper expectations here as we go to Lincoln and have to play in front of 100,000 people screaming against us following the lost to a MAC team.

There's still a considerable difference between these two programs, and these two teams on the field right now, case in point from Sagarin (updated):

Nebraska – 58th
Rutgers - 106th

That being said they have issues, however, they run a gimmick offense and that worries me with our defense right now.
gimmick offense. they run a pro style offense. they throw it more than most pro style college teams put that is what it is

getting pressure on the qb is the key. nebraska oline is not very good niu was in the backfield all game long. under pressure nebraska qb throws to the other team. 7 int last 2 weeks. acutally should have picked off 4 more times this year.

Reactions: arigoldrutgers
gimmick offense. they run a pro style offense. they throw it more than most pro style college teams put that is what it is

Actually true, my bad, BUT my concern standsl. I'd be throwing back shoulder passes all week long at practice if I were a Husker QB.

I'd love to see some very aggressive calls on offense and defense.. and, to flip the script here.. that is what I expect Nebraska to do.. to play like they have nothing left to lose. Balls-to-the-wall just like Texas just did. We have to be ready to match that intensity... and I don't think our guys came out vs Morgan State with any intensity... add EMU to that example also.

That is my worry as well. Let's see what the coaches and players can do come Saturday.

I don't think we win this game, either, but with Nebraska's performances thus far, the players should think they have a shot. That alone makes this game pretty intriguing. We have to go in there with the intention of adding to their woes and not think any other way.

While I think it is still a tough task beating them on the road, if at HPSS, maybe a different story, I always wonder why everyone thinks every other team that loses an embarrassing game means that they are going to come out the next week 20 lbs heavier, half a second faster, much stronger and playing a a NC level. It could just mean they aren't all that good.
Nebraska hasn't played a good game yet. (I'll concede the Oregon game if the Ducks continue playing well) but they only got by Ark St but a score and obviously lost last week.
With that said...we need to dial some pressure on their QB. I think we will have to either have a trick play work or get ourselves a ST or D TD as well. I tried figuring out Neb by looking at the stats of each of their game and it is almost impossible to tell what they are good at vs what they are bad at.

Reactions: RUaMoose
While I think it is still a tough task beating them on the road, if at HPSS, maybe a different story, I always wonder why everyone thinks every other team that loses an embarrassing game means that they are going to come out the next week 20 lbs heavier, half a second faster, much stronger and playing a a NC level. It could just mean they aren't all that good.
Nebraska hasn't played a good game yet. (I'll concede the Oregon game if the Ducks continue playing well) but they only got by Ark St but a score and obviously lost last week.
With that said...we need to dial some pressure on their QB. I think we will have to either have a trick play work or get ourselves a ST or D TD as well. I tried figuring out Neb by looking at the stats of each of their game and it is almost impossible to tell what they are good at vs what they are bad at.
Because that's what a segment of this board likes to do! And sunshine pumpers get mocked and berated.
The narrative of them is NIU is a good or great team and EMU sucks. We have not seen enough to make an informed judgment on either team. However, EMU went to a bowl last year, has an effective senior QB and they are well-coached. NIU went 5-7 last year, had ZERO wins against teams with a regular season winning record (they beat EMU in over time), and lost to FCS Western Illinois. What do "they" harp on? That EMU never beat a P5 team, and that means RU is an epic disaster. Maybe EMU is on the upswing like RU was in the early-mid 2000's. Again, we don't know until more of the season unfolds. Onward and upward.

Did u watch the nu game
Can you explain what your deal is?
1. Do you hate Rutgers?
2. Do you hate Chris Ash or the Chris Ash hire?
3. Who would you have liked to see as HC?
4. Can you say 3 positive things about Rutgers football?
5. Have a nice day. Not flaming you, just trying to see what you are about.

Reactions: RUDutch
They actually talked about this over the radio on Sunday. They used to have a gimmick offense, but know they run a standard pro set, and as a result their tackles are getting exposed a little.

There sure are a lot of Negative Nancys on this board! I say we definitely have a shot!

Go RU!!!!
Nah, some of us are realistic and knowledgeable whereas many fans here get by on pure emotion. one guy here posted 35-21 RU...lol

We lost to EMU because they had the better qb. This week we will determine which transfer qb is the superior one. hopefully, Bolin can have a breakout game. If he does, we have a real chance. if not, we lose.

Watching the Nebraska - NIU game a few observations:

Tre Bryant didn't play and their run game was not the same. I like Wilbon/Ozibgbo (Ozigbo only in for 1 series), however, Bryant is dynamic and a difference maker.

Tanner Lee is a bit of a standing statue (not my words, the announcer's words). He does hold onto the ball a little too long and has almost no mobility. This is not an Eastern Michigan DL strategy where you realize you can't get to the QB and drop back. If Rutgers doesn't generate a pass rush and put pressure on Lee, this game is over. If 4 doesn't do the job, they need to blitz (a foreign word for Rutgers). A pass rush against a statue who's prone to hold onto the ball and throw INTs is mandatory.

Thought the Blackshirts did a nice job against the NIU offense with the exception of the TD drive in the 4th Q. I also think they did a nice job against the high powered Oregon offense in the second half after adjustments. The first half against Oregon was a nightmare. In addition, the Arkansas State offense ate them alive.

There sure are a lot of Negative Nancys on this board! I say we definitely have a shot!

Go RU!!!!

Me thinks we win this by 9 points over Nebraska.
Stay tuned ....will give you updates from Lincoln.

Hey guys Iowa fan here. Just some things to consider. Nebraska is not good this year. (Arky state had 2 shots at the end zone from 12 yards out and Nebraska would be 0-3 assuming ot momentum win) Oregon destroyed them. OR let off the gas and coasted but could have put up 60+. NIU beat them at their place and yes it took some luck but you guys are better than NIU. NIU couldn't put up 60 points on a middle school team if they had 12 quarters. They got defensive touchdowns. Also. If You guys can get ahead or even make it close at the end the stadium is going to turn on its team, they booed at halftime. They don't respect you so if you can make them fight for it that "100k" fan base could turn intonyour best friend. Good luck, hope you guys win.

Ps. Thanks for the NJ to Iowa pipeline.

Per Riley press conference, Newby is out. Both Tre Bryant and Josh Kalu are questionable. Farniok has a broken bone in his wrist, however, may see some action. He replaced Knevel at RT for the NIU game. Some thought of going with a talented freshman at RT against Rutgers

Last edited:
If we can withstand an early burst by NU who I expect to come out fired up we have a chance. Keep it close into the 4th quarter and anything can happen. Sooner or later we are bound to get some breaks.

Hey guys Iowa fan here. Just some things to consider. Nebraska is not good this year. (Arky state had 2 shots at the end zone from 12 yards out and Nebraska would be 0-3 assuming ot momentum win) Oregon destroyed them. OR let off the gas and coasted but could have put up 60+. NIU beat them at their place and yes it took some luck but you guys are better than NIU. NIU couldn't put up 60 points on a middle school team if they had 12 quarters. They got defensive touchdowns. Also. If You guys can get ahead or even make it close at the end the stadium is going to turn on its team, they booed at halftime. They don't respect you so if you can make them fight for it that "100k" fan base could turn intonyour best friend. Good luck, hope you guys win.

Ps. Thanks for the NJ to Iowa pipeline.

Thanks for the endorsement! Not sure I want to welcome you to that pipeline, but it's all good.

...and this football program gains some instant credibility, especially in their stadium. Nebrraska is smarting and will be looking to make a statement against Rutgers next week. My wish is for Ash/Kill/Rutgers to come out firing on all offensive cylinders and not pussy foot around with this game.
With the way their QB throws completions to the other team this is the perfect game
For our secondary to prove the pre season hype was right and be the difference in this game...look for a few game changing turnovers from our experienced defensive backs which does make this a winnable game...still don't trust our offense against B1G defenses but our defense should keep this close unless we have been sold a bill of goods

Rutgers must put quick two TDs on the board to demoralize Nebraska fans. Do I see a win here?
Has Rutgers ever won a game like this---ever? Have zero expectations and would not be surprised if we lose big.
A win, however, would make this an interesting year.

Nebraska – 58th
Rutgers - 106th

Mike Riley is mainly a pro style offense guy.

I like our chances, but I can't let myself get too excited about it. We have a couple of good pieces, but we're still not a very good football team.

ADVERTISEMENT