ADVERTISEMENT

Beer /Booze Sales at this Fall Football and Basketball games?

BlockR

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2015
https://raritanriverreview.wordpres...on-to-pass-alcohol-sales-in-rutgers-stadiums/

RUSA (Rutgers University Student Assembly) has recently passed a motion to begin allow the selling of alcohol during basketball games and football games in the fall of 2016. RUSA Athletics Affair Chair, Brain Nealon, said that the petition went into effect September of 2015. In RUSA’s petition, they arranged for the proceeds to fund the mental health and alcohol support services on campus.

“Serving alcohol in these facilities provides Rutgers with an opportunity to bring in revenue based off of an increase of attendance. Now the hardcore fans who attend every home game, the students with a track record for only attending black out games and the non-attenders can show more school pride and support a meaningful cause,” said junior Rutgers student, Jorge Ornendez.

RUSA’s efforts developed from seeing an opportunity where other schools implemented the proposal. This past football season, Maryland ran a trial of selling alcohol at their football games and made just under half a million dollars in alcohol sales and increased their attendance by 14 percent. RUSA believes that if the proposal plan is followed through at Rutgers, the university may have similar results.

Opposing students and faculty members of RUSA’s proposal feel that alcohol sales in the stadium and the Rutgers Athletic Center will increase alcoholism, rowdiness, and potentially cause more accidents and/or lawsuits.

The ref of this game, however, is President Robert Barchi. The proposal plan is still being discussed and revised. If the efforts of Rutgers Student Assembly succeed, the final call will be in favor of alcohol sales at sporting events, starting with a test trial period during the 2016-2017-basketball season.

So the Student Assembly wants alcohol sales at Rutgers sporting events. Not only does the Student Assembly have no authority on this issue, I don't think they have any influence either.

Reactions: RU22
Citing drunk fans is just low hanging fruit. Instead let's ask the question: How many people in YOUR row will be getting up to travel to the bathroom and how much of the experience of the game you are watching will be taken up with folks trying to get by, or worse, in front of you.

A few years ago, Rutgers played Temple at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia -- were beer sales allowed there? I don't remember any crowd control problem there.

Reactions: Underdogs88
IMHO, I think it will ultimately get passed. It's a way to generate much needed revenue and may open the door to future events, such as concerts. There will always be issues when serving alcohol...RU will be no different than any other venue serving it. RU Audi Club has been serving alcohol without issue since the expansion.

Go RU!
Diane

Reactions: BlockR
"they arranged for the proceeds to fund the mental health and alcohol support services on campus"

They are looking to designate a recipient of the potential revenues from an activity and venue they have no say over?

That's as dumb as the faculty thinking they should be able divert monies from Ash's contract to increase their salaries.

If we ever sell booze I suggest the proceeds go to replace the bench in my stadium seats with all weather La-Z-Boy recliners.

Reactions: Upstream and czxqa
He wants RU Athletics to be budget neutral then turns down an opportunity to increase revenues ?
-------
With the sale of alcohol It comes with a number of negatives.... I would wager there would be a lot more disturbances, incidents....... You would need to increase security...... The press will be waiting to report it, of course.

I personally think it would not be worth it......

"they arranged for the proceeds to fund the mental health and alcohol support services on campus"

They are looking to designate a recipient of the potential revenues from an activity and venue they have no say over?

That's as dumb as the faculty thinking they should be able divert monies from Ash's contract to increase their salaries.

If we ever sell booze I suggest the proceeds go to replace the bench in my stadium seats with all weather La-Z-Boy recliners.
Who do they think they are, Don Fanucci? Now these guys want to wet their beak from athletics too?
Don_fanucci_gf2_.jpeg

Went to many RU away games at the Carrier Dome ( Sadacuse) and Tampa (USF) and did not see any
alcohol problems at these venues. Only exception was at Tampa when RU fan Higgins got a little sloppy.

FWIW- the Labatt's at the Carrier Dome were reasonably priced as I remember.

Citing drunk fans is just low hanging fruit. Instead let's ask the question: How many people in YOUR row will be getting up to travel to the bathroom and how much of the experience of the game you are watching will be taken up with folks trying to get by, or worse, in front of you.

The older fans with prostate issues already get up too much

Went to many RU away games at the Carrier Dome ( Sadacuse) and Tampa (USF) and did not see any
alcohol problems at these venues. Only exception was at Tampa when RU fan Higgins got a little sloppy.

As well it should be. Syracuse is basically located in Canada so distribution costs are probably minimal.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

To be fair, this is EXACTLY what Maryland did this past year and there were no issues.

It also originated at the student government level... they made the recommendation, wrote a bill, and the university president approved it.

-------
With the sale of alcohol It comes with a number of negatives.... I would wager there would be a lot more disturbances, incidents....... You would need to increase security...... The press will be waiting to report it, of course.

I personally think it would not be worth it......
Agreed.

The Higgins game at Raymond James was classic...I was sitting right next to him and attempted to keep up with his chugging a beer after every score and we scored a lot that game. He got thrown out for spraying a small amount of foam on a nearby USF fan, i threw up in my seat but since I didn't get it on anyone, security let me stay LOL. That guy is a machine who can down a whole pint in under 4 seconds.

The Higgins game at Raymond James was classic...I was sitting right next to him and attempted to keep up with his chugging a beer after every score and we scored a lot that game. He got thrown out for spraying a small amount of foam on a nearby USF fan, i threw up in my seat but since I didn't get it on anyone, security let me stay LOL. That guy is a machine who can down a whole pint in under 4 seconds.
---------
I was a few rows behind and to the side of Higgins, witnessed the whole thing..... I think USF fans were just pissed that RU was delivering a beating on them and did not want to see Mr Higgins down any more beers....he might have splashed a tiny amount upon spiking the cup.

I have not seen Higgins in a while, I hope all is well with him.

It's inevitable, just like legal weed, sports betting, and driverless cars.
-------
I don't believe so..... the ONLY reason to have it is a money grab, the negatives outweigh the positive.... all it takes is for the administration to say
no, and that is that.

---------
I was a few rows behind and to the side of Higgins, witnessed the whole thing..... I think USF fans were just pissed that RU was delivering a beating on them and did not want to see Mr Higgins down any more beers....he might have splashed a tiny amount upon spiking the cup.

I have not seen Higgins in a while, I hope all is well with him.
I saw him a 3 of the bowl games since then, birmingham, orlando and one of the pinstripe bowls...he was chugging beers at all 3...but it has been awhile since i've seen him now too...for old times sake heres a link to him chugging a whole pitcher in 11 seconds

I saw him a 3 of the bowl games since then, birmingham, orlando and one of the pinstripe bowls...he was chugging beers at all 3...but it has been awhile since i've seen him now too...for old times sake heres a link to him chugging a whole pitcher in 11 seconds
--------
all of those have been a while, I did see him in birmingham and orlando..... regular home games, no....

the man is legendary

Let me see if I have this concept right: Maryland sells alcohol and makes substantial $$$ and increases attendance, so more people (maybe students) go to games because of beer sales. Doesn't sound like the ideal situation to me.
Semi responsible attendees will be drinking for 3-4 hours before walking in to the game and then a portion will buy more to drink. Strike 2 ! The beer police will have to oversee the point of sales to keep order. At least the students are all together and can bother each other, but what about the family experience for other fans ? Too many negatives with bad consequences. Don't know if a trial period would show anything either. Also, what happens to people who have too much and now drive home without a buffer period to stabilize ?
Just sounds too risky and I don't think more people will come because they can enjoy a beer or two. How bummed out will the drinkers be by the price along ?
I guess the parking lots will only open 2 hours before to compensate !

Let me see if I have this concept right: Maryland sells alcohol and makes substantial $$$ and increases attendance, so more people (maybe students) go to games because of beer sales. Doesn't sound like the ideal situation to me.
Semi responsible attendees will be drinking for 3-4 hours before walking in to the game and then a portion will buy more to drink. Strike 2 ! The beer police will have to oversee the point of sales to keep order. At least the students are all together and can bother each other, but what about the family experience for other fans ? Too many negatives with bad consequences. Don't know if a trial period would show anything either. Also, what happens to people who have too much and now drive home without a buffer period to stabilize ?
Just sounds too risky and I don't think more people will come because they can enjoy a beer or two. How bummed out will the drinkers be by the price along ?
I guess the parking lots will only open 2 hours before to compensate !
Students won't go to games because of beer sales. Students mostly want cheap beer. They'll sell crappy beer in the stadium, but it won't be sold cheaply.

I'm confused by your post. At first, it seems like you're advocating for selling beer. Then it sounds like you're opposed to it. Which is it?

I'm opposed to the sale of alcohol in the stadium. I think there are already enough people acting like jerks w/out adding more alcohol to the mix.

I remember you !,,,,, You were that skinny guy who threw up all over the place . The Higgins game was indeed a classic.
My Dad from Sebastian , FL came to the game and a great time. We were sitting down one row to the left of you guys. We sure did shut up that USF crowd ! RU rocked.

Students won't go to games because of beer sales. Students mostly want cheap beer. They'll sell crappy beer in the stadium, but it won't be sold cheaply.

I'm confused by your post. At first, it seems like you're advocating for selling beer. Then it sounds like you're opposed to it. Which is it?

I'm opposed to the sale of alcohol in the stadium. I think there are already enough people acting like jerks w/out adding more alcohol to the mix.
Not at all. I don't understand the Maryland logic, but they must have advanced statistics classes. Bad idea period !

Reactions: mildone
I remember you !,,,,, You were that skinny guy who threw up all over the place . The Higgins game was indeed a classic.
My Dad from Sebastian , FL came to the game and a great time. We were sitting down one row to the left of you guys. We sure did shut up that USF crowd ! RU rocked.

I am the skinny guy! That was not my finest hour (or maybe it was depending on how you view things).

Shouldn't turn down money makers. Beer and football is an obvious match.

I like the idea though of having "family friendly" sections at stadiums. Families don't want to sit next to drunk rowdy people but that's a two way street. Everyone would win

They'll sell crappy beer in the stadium, but it won't be sold cheaply.
You don't know that. The beer selection in the RAC hospitality area includes Pilsner Urquell, Guinness, Brooklyn Lager, and a craft IPA (but I don't remember which). But you are right about not being cheap. I think the price is $7, not outrageously expensive, but not cheap either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT