ADVERTISEMENT

Bernie Marcus Home Depot co-founder pledges to give away billions before he dies

The guy hates RU and has said it time and again. It's really pathetic but not much Hobbs or anyone can do to change the mind of an 88 year old.

Marcus isn't throwing away money. He's giving it to select charities to which he has an affinity...medical research, children's causes, Jewish causes, etc. He has no interest in having a football building named after him.

And unless his foundation is anonymously donating (doubtful), he hasn't given more than a thousand dollars to the University Foundation within the last decade.

Marcus isn't throwing away money. He's giving it to select charities to which he has an affinity...medical research, children's causes, Jewish causes, etc. He has no interest in having a football building named after him.
And maybe he'll support Rutgers' efforts in one of those areas. But even if does, half the posters on this board will be upset that he didn't support athletics.

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
And maybe he'll support Rutgers' efforts in one of those areas. But even if does, half the posters on this board will be upset that he didn't support athletics.

The guy really hates RU. I doubt he'd fund any cause related to RU. But if he does I would praise it bigly. Just not getting my hopes up.

I don't think most here expect every alum to be tied to athletics. RU needs money everywhere. Not like one part of the U is flush with cash.

The guy really hates RU. I doubt he'd fund any cause related to RU. But if he does I would praise it bigly. Just not getting my hopes up.

I don't think most here expect every alum to be tied to athletics. RU needs money everywhere. Not like one part of the U is flush with cash.
Right, probably safe to say no part of the U is flush with cash.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The Bernie Marcus Children's Hospital at RWJ" sounds nice to me.
They already have a corporate sponsor. RWJUH's Children's Hospital is the Bristol Myers Squibb Children's Hospital. Besides...RWJ is a completely separate legal entity from Rutgers so it should make no difference to us.

Now the School of Pharmacy which he graduated from would've been a nice target, but they too have already picked up a sponsor...Ernest Mario, former chair of the Alza Corporation.

If he wants to fund research related to PTSD of post 9/11 veterans or autism I really can't see the basis of complaints.

Maybe Mr. Marcus attended some games over the past three years and based upon what he saw he was disinclined to invest.

If he wants to fund research related to PTSD of post 9/11 veterans or autism I really can't see the basis of complaints.
I can complain that USC got that "school" after 9-11.. create.usc.edu.. Should have been in New York, New Jersey or DC area... the 3 areas pounded on 9-11.. heck, even PA would have been better... instead, somehow.. it goes to USC in LA.

I can complain that USC got that "school" after 9-11.. create.usc.edu.. Should have been in New York, New Jersey or DC area... the 3 areas pounded on 9-11.. heck, even PA would have been better... instead, somehow.. it goes to USC in LA.

Except that PTSD in the military was not concentrated to the Tri-State area.

Reactions: rufancoe00

Very worthy. The only issue is that he never gives anything to RU, which does a lot of good research and charity work.

now some will defend an alumnus who really doesn't give to RU in any meaningful way even though he is more than able ?--he can give to whoever he wishes but I fail to understand how those that complain, and whine about RU won't complain about that lack of giving --I guess some just have a need to attack RU no matter what

School of Pharmacy grad. School relocated from Newark to Piscataway after he graduated.
I believe there are quite a few programs that were at Rutgers Newark before moving to New Brunswick. I believe that the you needed to attend Rutgers Newark to get an accounting degree before the 1980.

I wish I knew the specific reason but if you read about him he loves crapping over higher ed and seems to have an ax to grind.

An alternative explanation is that his charitable focus is medicine, as shown by major gifts towards research related to cardiac disease and PTSD.

Reactions: RUSK97
An alternative explanation is that his charitable focus is medicine, as shown by major gifts towards research related to cardiac disease and PTSD.

Interestingly enough, RU now has a medical school. Yet I haven't seen his donation...

I wish you guys would drop this. I would think that Mr. Marcus has an internet "clipping" service that records all internet comments about him, and every negative post about it makes it even less likely that he will contribute.

He has zero intentions of donating to Rutgers. Evidently, he wasn’t catered upon enough for his liking.

I wish you guys would drop this. I would think that Mr. Marcus has an internet "clipping" service that records all internet comments about him, and every negative post about it makes it even less likely that he will contribute.
Bernie Marcus is a beautiful man and we love that you are fellow alum!

(better?)

I have seen others mention this. If we cannot speculate about donors what exactly should we be talking about in terms of so much going on at RU, lol.
We shouldn't be speculating about specific donors at all. There is no way for you to know what he is thinking or what his future plans are. Maybe he is in discussions with Rutgers regarding a future donation. Maybe he has already made a pledge to Rutgers. Maybe his will includes a donation to Rutgers.

You can't speculate about his future intent, any more than I can speculate about your future intent, or you can speculate about my future intent.

I was at a donor event last fall and spoke to someone whose uncle passed away and left an endowed chair to Rutgers in his will. The guy had no idea that his uncle was leaving the money to Rutgers. But apparently the uncle had been in previous discussions with Rutgers regarding the donation.

We shouldn't be speculating about specific donors at all. There is no way for you to know what he is thinking or what his future plans are. Maybe he is in discussions with Rutgers regarding a future donation. Maybe he has already made a pledge to Rutgers. Maybe his will includes a donation to Rutgers.

You can't speculate about his future intent, any more than I can speculate about your future intent, or you can speculate about my future intent.

I was at a donor event last fall and spoke to someone whose uncle passed away and left an endowed chair to Rutgers in his will. The guy had no idea that his uncle was leaving the money to Rutgers. But apparently the uncle had been in previous discussions with Rutgers regarding the donation.

That is a fair point but I do not blame people considering the school cites money for all its woes, fair or unfair of them to do so, and we have plenty of alums who seem able to engage but do not.

Rutgers Giving Day is 03/27/2019. I know a lot of people are pissed off, as am I, but there are tons of very deserving non-athletic causes at RU that need your support.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
now some will defend an alumnus who really doesn't give to RU in any meaningful way even though he is more than able ?--he can give to whoever he wishes but I fail to understand how those that complain, and whine about RU won't complain about that lack of giving --I guess some just have a need to attack RU no matter what

Or perhaps we're mature enough to realize that anyone can do whatever he or she wants with his or her money and we look stupid trying to tell him or her what to do with it. Has nothing to do with "attacking RU."

The guy went to college in Newark. I will not bash him for giving away money to anybody.

I prefer to celebrate those that help rather than yell at those who don't.

Or perhaps we're mature enough to realize that anyone can do whatever he or she wants with his or her money and we look stupid trying to tell him or her what to do with it. Has nothing to do with "attacking RU."

The guy went to college in Newark. I will not bash him for giving away money to anybody.

I prefer to celebrate those that help rather than yell at those who don't.

Spot on. I have a degree from NYU in addition to 2 from Rutgers. I will never give a cent to NYU. Its a great school, and the degree has helped my career tremendously, but I have no connection or affinity to the place whatsoever. I simply drove into manhattan 2 nights a week, went to class, and drove home. I never went to a single event, and other than professors and admin, I spoke to a grand total of about 4 other students in 3 years.... I was working long hours in addition to school, and just had no interest in participating socially. I was there for a very specific purpose. It was nothing like my time at Rutgers.

People have different experiences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT