ADVERTISEMENT

Best RU dunker of all time ?

ScarletKid2008

All American
Sep 8, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
Was curious about what player the board feels was the "best dunker" ever at RU.

Defining best dunker by having all of the following: in-game, power & acrobatic, frequency, and crowd respsonse/ momentum shifting.

Reactions: DECKRU
I'd vote for Steve Worthy hands down. Dixon may have created The Main Event persona after RU but I don't recall him having nearly as many dunks not to mention big, game changing explosive dunks. Worthy had many monster slams against the likes of Temple in big games not to mention his tomahawk jam to seal a game at Jadwin.

If we're going to consider post RU then have to mention Roy Hinson since he did get selected for the NBA Slam Dunk Contest. Didn't see him in person on the banks though.

Really, this is a joke ... I know Dixon won that contest, but Bailey is the choice, in another world from any other RU player. In fact, you might argue that Bailey was one of the "best" dunkers in the history of the NCAA (I will not say the best, but one of the best).

Measuring RU's best, or any best, dunker by performance in the artificial environment of a dunk contest is ridiculous. In-game is the only measure.

It is true that Copeland, Worthy, Savage and a few others had some great dunks in games: Acrobatic, crowd-pleasing, and huge plays. But really ... there is only one, the one and ONLY James, "Jammin' James" Bailey.

He had just SO many dunks, it was ridiculous ... and in some ways he had so many dunks in games that him getting dunks seemed commonplace, and not extra-ordinary. But only because he was just ridiculously prolific, and because it was a long time ago, his dunks are discounted, and Dixon's dunks, which were few in real games - and hardly relevant since RU was not that good, is elevated since he was more current, and because he won a contest.

Perspective: In the 1977-1978 season the Louisville Cardinals (and I believe they were national champs that year) were nick-named the "Doctors of Dunk." They had Daryl Griffith and the McCray brothers leading the way, I think. As a team they had about 80 dunks - which seemed HUGE to the world. In fact, St. Johns had to play Louisville in the NCAA tourney, and Louie Carnessecca was asked if he and St. Johns would be intimidated by Louisville's dunking reputation (interviewed on TV, and in the print media). He literally laughed, and said something like, "Not at all ... we played against James Bailey, who by himself had almost twice as many dunks as the entire Louisville team."

The above was true: In the 1977-78 season, Bailey had around 310 made FG's. Of those, 130 (that is right, to spell it out ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY) were dunks. He AVERAGED 4 dunks PER GAME during a 1st team All American season. I was unable to find career or single season stat records, but that has got to be a top 10 season dunk performance ALL TIME in the NCAA.

Part of the reason he was so prolific was he was simply better than every other player he faced (he WAS the best Center in the country his last 2 seasons, and he WAS one of the top 5-7 players in the country each of those years also). He could essentially get a dunk against almost any player, at almost any time, he wished. He got dunks in the regular offense, off offensive rebounds, off steals, off fast breaks, off passes, off his own dribble drives, off drop steps. Any way you can imagine a dunk being created, Bailey did so.

All other RU players were essentially amateur dunkers compared to Bailey. Period, end of discussion.

What jellyman said. He nailed it

Though the best single dunk in a game I ever saw was sam sanders take off from the foul line dunk in the February 1998 upset win over nationally ranked Syracuse

It was right in front of me in section 105 row b and I had to go home and watch the recording to make sure my eyes were not wrong

Literally, his last step where he took off was 4 inches over the foul line ...and he slammed it home

A literal dunk contest dunk IN GAME

Plus ...JB redefined the athleticism of the alley oop. Some of his reverse dunks off the alley oop were jaw dropping

And he really missed Rodney Duncan his senior year ...who Tom Young kicked off the team early in the year ....and was amazing at throwing the alley oop to JB

Steve worthy exclamation point slam in jadwin gym in early December 1991 breaking their 30 game home winning streak though remains the best POWER dunk in RU hoops history

I thought he was going to take the rim and blackboard down

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
I am a Linden grad and Dixon was great but he only player one season for RU. Bailey was definitely our best dunker ever. He was amazing with 130 in his junior year. There were so many dunks on lob passes where he was about two feet above the rim. Many fans today never saw him play. He was first team All American and was one of the top picks in the NBA draft. He was on another level. Some guys might have had a better dunk but one dunk doesn't put these guys above Jamming James (in my opinion).

Really, this is a joke ... I know Dixon won that contest, but Bailey is the choice, in another world from any other RU player. In fact, you might argue that Bailey was one of the "best" dunkers in the history of the NCAA (I will not say the best, but one of the best).

Measuring RU's best, or any best, dunker by performance in the artificial environment of a dunk contest is ridiculous. In-game is the only measure.

It is true that Copeland, Worthy, Savage and a few others had some great dunks in games: Acrobatic, crowd-pleasing, and huge plays. But really ... there is only one, the one and ONLY James, "Jammin' James" Bailey.

He had just SO many dunks, it was ridiculous ... and in some ways he had so many dunks in games that him getting dunks seemed commonplace, and not extra-ordinary. But only because he was just ridiculously prolific, and because it was a long time ago, his dunks are discounted, and Dixon's dunks, which were few in real games - and hardly relevant since RU was not that good, is elevated since he was more current, and because he won a contest.

Perspective: In the 1977-1978 season the Louisville Cardinals (and I believe they were national champs that year) were nick-named the "Doctors of Dunk." They had Daryl Griffith and the McCray brothers leading the way, I think. As a team they had about 80 dunks - which seemed HUGE to the world. In fact, St. Johns had to play Louisville in the NCAA tourney, and Louie Carnessecca was asked if he and St. Johns would be intimidated by Louisville's dunking reputation (interviewed on TV, and in the print media). He literally laughed, and said something like, "Not at all ... we played against James Bailey, who by himself had almost twice as many dunks as the entire Louisville team."

The above was true: In the 1977-78 season, Bailey had around 310 made FG's. Of those, 130 (that is right, to spell it out ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY) were dunks. He AVERAGED 4 dunks PER GAME during a 1st team All American season. I was unable to find career or single season stat records, but that has got to be a top 10 season dunk performance ALL TIME in the NCAA.

Part of the reason he was so prolific was he was simply better than every other player he faced (he WAS the best Center in the country his last 2 seasons, and he WAS one of the top 5-7 players in the country each of those years also). He could essentially get a dunk against almost any player, at almost any time, he wished. He got dunks in the regular offense, off offensive rebounds, off steals, off fast breaks, off passes, off his own dribble drives, off drop steps. Any way you can imagine a dunk being created, Bailey did so.

All other RU players were essentially amateur dunkers compared to Bailey. Period, end of discussion.
We all look back at our formative years with some rose colored perspective. Thank you jelly for backing up your observations with data. Well done. I barely remember him in 79. It's when I began to follow ru athletics. ..a scarlet R I've had to wear on my chest ever since

When a man is nicknamed Jammin James I would tend to cast my vote for him. As a matter of fact my memory from that time which remains clear remembers almost nothing BUT slams by the big boy from Boston

He was not our best dunker, but i remember anthony duckett had one vs. big time cuse team at the rac, along base line a amongst trees..

Waliyy in high school, some pretty impressive dunks. But I know that wasn't the question.

Waliyy by a mile and a half and I saw all those guys.

However, I will concede that if you are talking about doing it in games, critical moments, crowd-rallying, etc., then it would be Bailey.

But nobody could dunk like Waliyy. Nobody.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
And was it Charles Johnson (not sure of name) who played at the same time who always used to slap his head when he scored? We had some unusual players back then.

I remember Bailey well and he was a monster. IMO, it depends on the definition of best RU dunker. No doubt, Bailey's dunks were way more numerous and impactful. He wasn't even in the same league as Dixon as a player and Dixon's RU career was a bust in comparison. However, if there was an NBA-type slam dunk contest, I'd take Dixon.

What jellyman said. He nailed it

Though the best single dunk in a game I ever saw was sam sanders take off from the foul line dunk in the February 1998 upset win over nationally ranked Syracuse

It was right in front of me in section 105 row b and I had to go home and watch the recording to make sure my eyes were not wrong

Literally, his last step where he took off was 4 inches over the foul line ...and he slammed it home

A literal dunk contest dunk IN GAME

I remember that one well. Ridiculously awesome.

Sammy could elevate as well as anyone.

However, I will concede that if you are talking about doing it in games, critical moments, crowd-rallying, etc., then it would be Bailey.

The definition/criteria provided by the original poster in the initial post in this thread:

"Defining best dunker by having all of the following: in-game, power & acrobatic, frequency, and crowd respsonse/ momentum shifting."

Dixon only qualifies for 1/2 of the 2nd criteria of the 4 criteria provided: "acrobatic."

Bailey dominates versus all other RU players in all the other aspects of the original poster's criteria.

I agree. For style points and freakish athleticism it's Dixon by a mile. Bailey was a prolific dunker and at big moments in a game, but he did not do those highlight reel dunks that Wally did. Although, admittedly, Dixon's greatest work came after RU.

The definition/criteria provided by the original poster in the initial post in this thread:

"Defining best dunker by having all of the following: in-game, power & acrobatic, frequency, and crowd respsonse/ momentum shifting."

Dixon only qualifies for 1/2 of the 2nd criteria of the 4 criteria provided: "acrobatic."

Bailey dominates versus all other RU players in all the other aspects of the original poster's criteria.
Dixon easily. Bailey could not throw them down like Waliyy could. End of story. OP got the criteria wrong. Dixon was a huge disappointment as a player, but dunkability? Waliyy.

Loved Jamming James. Probably our best player ever (EDIT: Nah, Phil Sellers). And, as I said, in games, no comparison. Arguing that he was the best center in the nation his last two years is looking at the situation through Scarlet-colored lenses. He was about #4 or #5 at center during that stretch, and maybe top 15 nationally overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal_2RU
The funny thing is that Waliyy Dixon will probably be remembered most for his time at Rutgers for a missed dunk attempt.

Playing against George Washington late in the game (think under 30 seconds) Rutgers is up. Waliyy Gets the ball on the right wing. Yinka Dare for GW under the basket. We should just run out the clock as much as possible, but Waliyy's eyes light up and he attempts a leaning left handed jam over Dare. Dare gets a hand on it and blocks it. We ended up losing the game at the end.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Jamin James Baily by a mile. He was much better as a Freshman and Soufmore, being thinner and more agile. His Junior Year he put on weight for the NBA and after that he wasn't that impressive with the dunks.

Who is the best dunker on the current team?

Who is the best dunker from the:
70's (Bailey)
80's - Roy Hinson
90's - Waliyy Dixon
00's - ?
10's - ?

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Dixon easily. Bailey could not throw them down like Waliyy could. End of story. OP got the criteria wrong. Dixon was a huge disappointment as a player, but dunkability? Waliyy.

Loved Jamming James. Probably our best player ever (EDIT: Nah, Phil Sellers). And, as I said, in games, no comparison. Arguing that he was the best center in the nation his last two years is looking at the situation through Scarlet-colored lenses. He was about #4 or #5 at center during that stretch, and maybe top 15 nationally overall.

Bailey was the 6th pick in the '79 Draft and 2nd Center after Bill Cartwright.

Plus ...JB redefined the athleticism of the alley oop. Some of his reverse dunks off the alley oop were jaw dropping

And he really missed Rodney Duncan his senior year ...who Tom Young kicked off the team early in the year ....and was amazing at throwing the alley oop to JB

Tom Brown was better than Duncan.

Spot on! Jamin James in a LANDSLIDE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT