ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 coming out like a Fox

Thanks for the link.

"In effect, we’re about to enter into a world where Rutgers and Northwestern are going to earn significantly more TV money than Florida State, Oklahoma, USC and even Alabama and Notre Dame."

Mentioning us is a bit of a jab but I love it anyway!

"Whether it’s a coincidence or not (and I tend to think “not”), the end of the 6-year deal term in 2023 is shortly before the expiration of the Big 12’s grant of rights agreement in 2025, which makes any possible damages for a Big 12 defector to be much lower and/or negligible compared to a Big Ten windfall. The same usual suspects of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas as Big Ten candidates."

Set your expansion timer for 6 years.

Reactions: LC-88
So this article says that each big ten school will receive $60 mil starting 2017 just from the Fox contract. Does Rutgers get this or does it go into the pool of money that Rutgers would eventually get?

So this article says that each big ten school will receive $60 mil starting 2017 just from the Fox contract. Does Rutgers get this or does it go into the pool of money that Rutgers would eventually get?

I would guess Rutgers would get 40-50% of that in 2017.

I think the $50-60 million per school per year figure represents the Fox contract, the contract for the other 50% of the games (ESPiN or NBC?) and the other revenues that come to the schools through the conference (bowl money, BTN earnings, NCAA tournament payouts, etc.). Since the Fox contract is about $250 million per year total, that would mean around $16 million on average per school for 14 schools, leaving some for the conference operations as well.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think the $50-60 million per school per year figure represents the Fox contract, the contract for the other 50% of the games (ESPiN or NBC?) and the other revenues that come to the schools through the conference (bowl money, BTN earnings, NCAA tournament payouts, etc.). Since the Fox contract is about $250 million per year total, that would mean around $16 million on average per school for 14 schools, leaving some for the conference operations as well.
Yes I would suggest a lot of it has to go into BTN stuff. .. which NewsCorp (Fox) owns a chunk of.

But we'd still do well eve after the politicians friends and family plan takes their cut.

It's not just from Fox. It's assuming the other half, in addition to BTN, will generate. It isn't a pool. $60MM is the amount each member will get, including RU after getting full shares.

Thanks for the link.

"In effect, we’re about to enter into a world where Rutgers and Northwestern are going to earn significantly more TV money than Florida State, Oklahoma, USC and even Alabama and Notre Dame."

Mentioning us is a bit of a jab but I love it anyway!

Well the NY and CHI markets help bring in such lofty numbers so they can jab at us and Northwestern all they want. The inclusion of NYC and DC markets helped this tremendously.

ADVERTISEMENT