ADVERTISEMENT

Big Refs(All Refs) Home Cooking?

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
I just saw the foul disparity for the Northwestern/Illinois game; In fouls Illinois had 29 and Northwestern 17; The foul shooting disparity was even greater Northwestern shot 40 free throws to Illinois 10!!
Now we all know about Rutgers Purdue so my question is why should the home team get the calls so to speak!!
Shouldn't the games be refereed without any bias home court advantage; this is totally empirical and I have no stats but it sure seems like this more often than not and to me that is just wrong; these refs are getting paid a lot of money and there should not be this type of bias

It’s human nature to please so it makes sense that unintentionally there is probably a bias towards appeasing the crowd on all 50 / 50 calls. If your not sure - instinct probably slants towards the calls those around you will agree with.

Refs are human beings and know every time they call a foul on the home team they get booed and cheer for, for fouls on the visitors
Somewhere along the line it influences calls

I do remember a game we played, even before the A10, that our crowd booed a few early calls and the official went even more biased against us in retaliation, it seemed

• Wow
Reactions: RU205
There is always unintentional but natural home bias.

But also, sometimes one team really does foul more than the other. Sometimes by a shitload. The refs are in the business of calling the fouls they see not keeping track of FTs per team and trying to make it even.

ADVERTISEMENT