ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten aims to have new media rights deal, worth up to $1 billion, in place around Memorial Day

Well personally, I always like posting stories/tweets I come across as soon as I see them if I think there would be interest in the info and conversation/debate can be had on it.

Timelines though, if you're not in the room or know someone in the room it's hard to pinpoint without somewhat wide margins and just at best educated guessing.

On another tangential note about "breaking news," and realignment, I've read nothing about an "early release" of Texas/OU from their B12 GORs that many were thinking they would find a way to wriggle out of by the end of this season at the latest. I've always said I have to see it to believe it that GORs don't have enough teeth and at most maybe a year early but that's about it. Swarbrick's quotes above only lend support to the idea that GORs are prohibitive and a big roadblock to movement until the contract is up.
Agree about the possibility of an early release. Lots of contracts to break plus Texas isn't going to give up the Long Horn Network one second early.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Agree about the possibility of an early release. Lots of contracts to break plus Texas isn't going to give up the Long Horn Network one second early.
It was already assumed but became official about a month ago that LHN would cease as soon as they move to the SEC.

Reactions: WhiteBus
On another tangential note about "breaking news," and realignment, I've read nothing about an "early release" of Texas/OU from their B12 GORs that many were thinking they would find a way to wriggle out of by the end of this season at the latest. I've always said I have to see it to believe it that GORs don't have enough teeth and at most maybe a year early but that's about it. Swarbrick's quotes above only lend support to the idea that GORs are prohibitive and a big roadblock to movement until the contract is up.
Looks like the AAC teams have negotiated their way out and will join the B12 next year along with BYU.

Ha, ha. Houston/Cincy/UCF have better lawyers (or maybe better facts?) than the Longhorns and Sooners.
I don’t think the AAC had any GOR just an exit fee and a wait period. (27 months?) to leave so they negotiated to get out a little early.

I don’t think the AAC had any GOR just an exit fee and a wait period. (27 months?) to leave so they negotiated to get out a little early.
Yeah, that's what I was implying with better facts, and I thought Mandel's comment about the lawyers earning their money was kind of funny. Don't tell anyone that I am a lawyer. 😜 But when we look at court decision (mostly on patents), we sometimes say that the best lawyers were not going to win that case for their client, because the facts were totally against their client. There's a saying- when the facts are against you, argue the law, and when the law is against you, argue the facts. But sometimes, the facts and law both work against your client. Sounds like the AAC expats had an easy exit, and they just go waved through the Big 12 gates. Good for them, and while not the same stature of the teams leaving, they are solid teams.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
As stated a number of years ago, at the end of the day GORs mean nothing as it relates to keeping teams in a conference. The Acc is going to find this out soon too.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Both. SEC will gobble up Clemson and Fla State.

Uva and UNC have long been looked at by the B1G

Some of the others like Syracuse, Pitt, WF, well good luck.

Both. SEC will gobble up Clemson and Fla State.

Uva and UNC have long been looked at by the B1G

Some of the others like Syracuse, Pitt, WF, well good luck.
seinfeld-kramer.gif

Reactions: mdh2003
They fit the B1G bill in most every way. Academics and new markets.
Only 3 states have been growing faster than NC. Heck, I think I'd be happy there if it weren't for the kids living close by here.

They'd make the B1G Lacrosse even tougher right? Ya sure you want that?😀

UNC ain’t going without Duke. Like it or not, they’re tied at the hip no matter how much money is thrown around. The presidents won’t budge.

I wouldn’t rule out two NC schools tho. Both are national brands and carry a basketball deal on their own. B1G also already has double schools in Indiana, Michigan, and Illinois. Duke helps you get Stanford.

UVA & GTech probably more practical. But Charlottesville less desirable than NC’s growing research triangle (ie Chapel Hill & Durham). They’re also not a national brand.

Pac12 programs are the no-brainer.

UNC ain’t going without Duke. Like it or not, they’re tied at the hip no matter how much money is thrown around. The presidents won’t budge.

I wouldn’t rule out two NC schools tho. Both are national brands and carry a basketball deal on their own. B1G also already has double schools in Indiana, Michigan, and Illinois. Duke helps you get Stanford.

UVA & GTech probably more practical. But Charlottesville less desirable than NC’s growing research triangle (ie Chapel Hill & Durham). They’re also not a national brand.

Pac12 programs are the no-brainer.
Ga Tech makes no sense. They're dwarfed by Georgia. I doubt expansion would include the #2 team in it's own state.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Ga Tech makes no sense. They're dwarfed by Georgia. I doubt expansion would include the #2 team in it's own state.

GTech is AAU, in Atlanta market, research institution, growing state, and was on Delaney’s targer list.

UVA isn’t #1 most popular team in VA either…

Additionally, my point wasn’t even that. After UNC (who won’t go without Duke), who could you pick from ACC that would go and fit B1G profile? GTech

Reactions: rubigtimenow
GTech is AAU, in Atlanta market, research institution, growing state, and was on Delaney’s targer list.

Additionally, my point wasn’t even that. After UNC (who won’t go without Duke), who could you pick from ACC that would go and fit B1G profile? GTech
Ttech would be out on an island. Do they draw 35.000 even with ACC visitors in much closer proximity?

I get and agree with what you say about the school but have to repeat they're an afterthought in their own state. I don't think the B1G would change that. As a matter of fact it may hurt.

Ttech would be out on an island. Do they draw 35.000 even with ACC visitors in much closer proximity?

I get and agree with what you say about the school but have to repeat they're an afterthought in their own state. I don't think the B1G would change that. As a matter of fact it may hurt.
Does not appear so, but they are in the decline until they fire their head coach or he turns it around. Only game at home that had more than 50,000 was against UGA. Seem UNC consistently sells 50,000 for their home games.

Yeah, they wouldn’t be my top choice either. Honestly, with SEC likely going to a mega conference — I just hope we think proactive too. Ideally, building an academic/prestigious/AAU/research conference with big money.

I like 6 from Pac-12:
- USC
- Stanford
- UCLA
- Oregon
- Cal
- Wash or U of A

And 4 from ACC:
- UNC
- Duke
- UVA
- GTech

4 pods of 6 teams. If Nebraska can’t retain AAU status, drop them for next best from Pac12. If ND wants in, they can have one of the spots as long as they don’t want any special privileges

I just see SEC making a play for Nebraska, who’s become a better fit there, and that move could get some Pac12 schools to jump. We need to beat SEC to that

Yeah, they wouldn’t be my top choice either. Honestly, with SEC likely going to a mega conference — I just hope we think proactive too. Ideally, building an academic/prestigious/AAU/research conference with big money.

I like 6 from Pac-12:
- USC
- Stanford
- UCLA
- Oregon
- Cal
- Wash or U of A

And 4 from ACC:
- UNC
- Duke
- UVA
- GTech

4 pods of 6 teams. If Nebraska can’t retain AAU status, drop them for next best from Pac12. If ND wants in, they can have one of the spots as long as they don’t want any special privileges

I just see SEC making a play for Nebraska, who’s become a better fit there, and that move could get some Pac12 schools to jump. We need to beat SEC to that
You throw shit out there that makes NO sense…classic fan board BS

At no point has the sec mentioned going mega conference…that, like pods, is just forum fantasy…PERIOD!

the sec is not going after Nebraska…ever..like ever. Nebraska is in the B1G and thats where they’ll stay.

Uva is by far the most popular school in the state and sees the most support.

You throw shit out there that makes NO sense…classic fan board BS

At no point has the sec mentioned going mega conference…that, like pods, is just forum fantasy…PERIOD!

the sec is not going after Nebraska…ever..like ever. Nebraska is in the B1G and thats where they’ll stay.
If the SEC reached out and took Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Clemson and Florida State (throw in Notre Dame, too) - it becomes the one and only mega conference and effectively destroys the Big 10, Pac12 and ACC (the TV money would dry up overnight). I'm not saying they are trying to do it, or that they are capable of doing it ... but if they did do it, it would reshape college athletics and put them (the new SEC mega conference) in the premier position for the next 50 years. They'd be fools if they weren't trying to accomplish it right now. And they aren't fools.

If the SEC reached out and took Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Clemson and Florida State (throw in Notre Dame, too) - it becomes the one and only mega conference and effectively destroys the Big 10, Pac12 and ACC (the TV money would dry up overnight). I'm not saying they are trying to do it, or that they are capable of doing it ... but if they did do it, it would reshape college athletics and put them (the new SEC mega conference) in the premier position for the next 50 years. They'd be fools if they weren't trying to accomplish it right now. And they aren't fools.

The SEC can reach out to Ohio State and Michigan, just like the Big 10 can reach out to Alabama and Georgia.
But neither is leaving.

The SEC can reach out to USC and UCLA and they will come asking the BIG 10, Will you take us instead, shit smells down there.

If we took multiple teams and go over 20........ i suspect.

6 from Pac-12:
- USC
- UCLA
- Oregon
- Cal
- Washington
- Colorado or U-Arizona
No Need for a 4th Cal School so Stanford out. No Need for a 3rd Either, but USC might request it if there are 6 teams.

And 2 from ACC:
- UNC
- UVA

Duke is Private. NC will play their OOC games with Duke in a Conference with Pitt and Syracuse....
They are joined at the hip like OK was with OK ST until they weren't. Only way Duke comes in is that the SEC tells NC, we'll take Duke as well.

This is where shit hits the fan..... if one conference is willing to make more concessions, like taking a team they really don't want. That is where we could lose teams from the ACC.

I feel we might get 2 more from the ACC, but i suspect if we do, it will be more methodical.

Article in the Athletic:

From the artice:

According to an industry source with knowledge of the negotiations, a decision and public announcement could happen by mid-July. Fox will extend its top-tier Big Ten package, which includes its highly rated Big Noon Kickoff coupled with a weekly game on FS1.

None of the other networks could be classified as a favorite quite yet, and the number of years on any contract remains undetermined. The league’s 14 presidents and chancellors will have a role in approving the final package.

The wild card is ABC/ESPN, which owns the SEC Network and just signed exclusive rights to the SEC. Big Ten football has appeared on ABC annually since 1987 with ESPN coming aboard in 1989. With the largest platform in sports television, ESPN owns exclusive College Football Playoff rights through 2025-26. But according to one league source, ESPN officials have made it clear the network is all-in with the SEC and ACC, conferences to which ESPN will own exclusive rights.

Two league sources have reiterated that ESPN is at the table.

“(ESPN is) still a very, very big part of this negotiation process,” according to the industry source. “They’re still firmly in the mix for everything that we’re talking about here.”

Another industry source said the prevailing expectation is that Fox and ESPN will remain primary partners, but that the league is tempted by that exclusive afternoon window on CBS, which already holds some of the conference’s men’s basketball rights.

Also just a retweet by Auerbach. I've said I think keeping a toe in ESPN is a good idea. I suppose you could spread inventory across 3 broadcast networks but I think Fox, ESPN and game a week to CBS and maybe one to Amazon on Friday is a better idea.

From the article:

MLS has sold all of its global media rights exclusively to Apple, becoming the first major U.S. sports league to go all-in with a digital media company. MLS still is negotiating with linear TV networks, including ESPN and Fox. However, those games would not be exclusive to the broadcasters; they would simulcast with Apple. MLS execs said that Apple is not paying a straight rights fee for the package of rights.

Rather, Apple is paying a minimum guarantee that sources say is worth $250M per year starting in ‘23. MLS will start to bring in more revenue as Apple sell subscriptions for a newly launched MLS subscription offering. “What's different here is traditionally media companies pay rights fees, and you sell ads,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. “This is a partnership. And that partnership's core is a subscription business that we're going to build together, and we're going to get a guarantee against the revenues that will be achieved on the subscription business. Then, we go over those guarantees, we'll have the opportunity to make more money, which is really unique in sports media.”

Article in the Athletic:

From the artice:

According to an industry source with knowledge of the negotiations, a decision and public announcement could happen by mid-July. Fox will extend its top-tier Big Ten package, which includes its highly rated Big Noon Kickoff coupled with a weekly game on FS1.

None of the other networks could be classified as a favorite quite yet, and the number of years on any contract remains undetermined. The league’s 14 presidents and chancellors will have a role in approving the final package.

The wild card is ABC/ESPN, which owns the SEC Network and just signed exclusive rights to the SEC. Big Ten football has appeared on ABC annually since 1987 with ESPN coming aboard in 1989. With the largest platform in sports television, ESPN owns exclusive College Football Playoff rights through 2025-26. But according to one league source, ESPN officials have made it clear the network is all-in with the SEC and ACC, conferences to which ESPN will own exclusive rights.

Two league sources have reiterated that ESPN is at the table.

“(ESPN is) still a very, very big part of this negotiation process,” according to the industry source. “They’re still firmly in the mix for everything that we’re talking about here.”

Another industry source said the prevailing expectation is that Fox and ESPN will remain primary partners, but that the league is tempted by that exclusive afternoon window on CBS, which already holds some of the conference’s men’s basketball rights.

Also just a retweet by Auerbach. I've said I think keeping a toe in ESPN is a good idea. I suppose you could spread inventory across 3 broadcast networks but I think Fox, ESPN and game a week to CBS and maybe one to Amazon on Friday is a better idea.

Also:
"According to an industry source with knowledge of the negotiations, a decision and public announcement could happen by mid-July." Mark your calendar @WhiteBus !

Also:
But when asked specifically about dedicating a football game to The Alliance every year, Warren said, “We do have a lot of things on our schedule with Alliance members from a scheduling standpoint. I just think that we live in a fluid society. We live in a fluid environment.”

On Feb. 16, Smith told reporters, “We thought that conference contests, from a TV partner point of view, were just as valuable. We decided to kind of walk away from that a little bit.”

Also:
"According to an industry source with knowledge of the negotiations, a decision and public announcement could happen by mid-July." Mark your calendar @WhiteBus !

Also:
But when asked specifically about dedicating a football game to The Alliance every year, Warren said, “We do have a lot of things on our schedule with Alliance members from a scheduling standpoint. I just think that we live in a fluid society. We live in a fluid environment.”

On Feb. 16, Smith told reporters, “We thought that conference contests, from a TV partner point of view, were just as valuable. We decided to kind of walk away from that a little bit.”
I'll go with the over July 15th.

• Haha
Again, throwing shit out there for the sake of forum banter. No current B1G ADs will be in the SEC and no SEC ADs will be in the B1G. The SEC is not trying to destroy the B1G, Pac or ACC…nor can it…it is not the Death Star.

there is still an absolute need for conferences in the western US and northern US and the SEC cannot and will not blend into either of those regions. Some additional reshuffling will take place but all this draconian gamesmanship just smells like the sad pods discussion (which the sec is not using.)

jesus the off season sucks! 😂

Again, throwing shit out there for the sake of forum banter. No current B1G ADs will be in the SEC and no SEC ADs will be in the B1G. The SEC is not trying to destroy the B1G, Pac or ACC…nor can it…it is not the Death Star.

there is still an absolute need for conferences in the western US and northern US and the SEC cannot and will not blend into either of those regions. Some additional reshuffling will take place but all this draconian gamesmanship just smells like the sad pods discussion (which the sec is not using.)

jesus the off season sucks! 😂
I think you're being terribly naive. Was the ACC trying to destroy the Big East when it poached Miami, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Boston College and Pitt?

I think you're being terribly naive. Was the ACC trying to destroy the Big East when it poached Miami, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Boston College and Pitt?
The landscape was different back then. There were plenty of power teams outside of the current power conferences. ESPN coordinated conference movements to control things and fatten its bottom line. ESPN was powerful back then, but today, they don't carry the weight.

The landscape was different back then. There were plenty of power teams outside of the current power conferences. ESPN coordinated conference movements to control things and fatten its bottom line. ESPN was powerful back then, but today, they don't carry the weight.
I disagree. I think ESPN would be more than happy to have one "Major College Sports" conference that they pay a ton of money to, rather than 5 conferences they pay a ton of money to. If they can get major college sports down to one conference, then they effectively own a pro-football and pro-basketball league.

I disagree. I think ESPN would be more than happy to have one "Major College Sports" conference that they pay a ton of money to, rather than 5 conferences they pay a ton of money to. If they can get major college sports down to one conference, then they effectively own a pro-football and pro-basketball league.
The problem is ESPN doesn't have the same power anymore. ESPN is about to lose control of college playoffs by 2025, which was their ace in the hole to dictate to conferences. Also, ESPN is finding out they are not the only network around. There will be an effort by CBS, NBC, FOX, etc. to break the stranglehold on college football. Fox is able to give the B1G money on par with the SEC, so I doubt a team will jump ship to another conference. Look for Pac 12 to improve their financial situation as their media deal is next up. Whichever network doesn't get in on the B1G deal will likely throw money at the Pac 12. Live content is king. Also, Disney is exploring the idea of spinning off ESPN as a separate company.

What you're forgetting is college football is not a pro sport and if they do go down that path it changes everything that protects them from certain financial situations. ESPN may be willing to risk it, but I doubt colleges can afford to risk their necks.

From the article:

MLS has sold all of its global media rights exclusively to Apple, becoming the first major U.S. sports league to go all-in with a digital media company. MLS still is negotiating with linear TV networks, including ESPN and Fox. However, those games would not be exclusive to the broadcasters; they would simulcast with Apple. MLS execs said that Apple is not paying a straight rights fee for the package of rights.

Rather, Apple is paying a minimum guarantee that sources say is worth $250M per year starting in ‘23. MLS will start to bring in more revenue as Apple sell subscriptions for a newly launched MLS subscription offering. “What's different here is traditionally media companies pay rights fees, and you sell ads,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. “This is a partnership. And that partnership's core is a subscription business that we're going to build together, and we're going to get a guarantee against the revenues that will be achieved on the subscription business. Then, we go over those guarantees, we'll have the opportunity to make more money, which is really unique in sports media.”

Apple now has MLB Friday nights and MLS Wednesdays/Saturdays. I doubt they are done. And Amazon will be buying up sports content as well. All of this bodes well for the new B1G contract. Streaming rights will be a big part of the deal.

The problem is ESPN doesn't have the same power anymore. ESPN is about to lose control of college playoffs by 2025, which was their ace in the hole to dictate to conferences. Also, ESPN is finding out they are not the only network around. There will be an effort by CBS, NBC, FOX, etc. to break the stranglehold on college football. Fox is able to give the B1G money on par with the SEC, so I doubt a team will jump ship to another conference. Look for Pac 12 to improve their financial situation as their media deal is next up. Whichever network doesn't get in on the B1G deal will likely throw money at the Pac 12. Live content is king. Also, Disney is exploring the idea of spinning off ESPN as a separate company.

What you're forgetting is college football is not a pro sport and if they do go down that path it changes everything that protects them from certain financial situations. ESPN may be willing to risk it, but I doubt colleges can afford to risk their necks.

Just one comment on the Pac 12 - they've got to find a way to get the Pac 12 Network into more homes. I think one of the bigger Pac 12 issues is visibility. I also think the Pac 12 needs to expand and have come to the conclusion that UNLV and San Diego State may be the best options. Unless, Texas A&M and (say) Kansas or Oklahoma State could be convinced to join.

ADVERTISEMENT