ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Build Fund has $54.3M of $100M

That is remarkable. Hobbs is killing it!

You are kidding a article just today about Texas HS stadiums raising more money then us.
Remove the mirror/smoke of the NJ tax credit and you raised 1/3 of what you need. Sorry no one is killing anything. But I am impress Hobbs was able to get as much as he did considering the RU Alum situation.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
You are kidding a article just today about Texas HS stadiums raising more money then us.
Remove the mirror/smoke of the NJ tax credit and you raised 1/3 of what you need. Sorry no one is killing anything. But I am impress Hobbs was able to get as much as he did considering the RU Alum situation.
What do you mean by the "RU Alum situation?"

Relative to where we were, this is a tremendous achievement. He hasn't even been here 6 months, and we've raised close to $30 M. Hobbs truly is killing it. When we build this thing up, it'll be much easier to raise money.

You might consider a career in politics with the way you were able to contradict yourself so completely in four sentences.

Considering the annual fundraising numbers, and past efforts at raising funds, this is a job well done so far.

Reactions: Leonard23
"The Big Ten Build will provide state-of-the-art practice centers for men’s and women’s basketball"

Forgive my confusion but does this mean the RAC stays the same and they are just building a practice center?

You do realize that you are comparing us to an organization that is unfettered by the requirements of educating young people. They may have a football stadium but you can get a better education from a prison library than a Texas high school.

Reactions: CNJKnight
"The Big Ten Build will provide state-of-the-art practice centers for men’s and women’s basketball"

Forgive my confusion but does this mean the RAC stays the same and they are just building a practice center?
Correct the RAC is not being touched in phase 1.

Yes, it will also house wrestling, volleyball and gymnastics. Besides the actual practice courts, it will also have S&C, upgraded lockerrooms, meeting and study rooms....

Correct for phase 1, which is the $100M campaign to build (i) the multisport practice/training facility for wrestling, basketball & gymnastics on Livingston, (ii) the LAX, soccer & tennis practice/training facility on Busch & (iii) upgrade the Hale Center for FB only. Hobbs mentioned today that after we raise the $100M we'll have a phase 2 for things like upgrading the RAC.

Since the RAC is often mentioned as a negative, wouldn't it make more sense to put this initial money towards either a new basketball facility or a renovated RAC?

With 13K post you need to hear this again
RUTGERS ALUMs R CHEAP MFs
Al killing it would have been 50% or above in alum money (the NJ tax credit is not Alum funds)
The way you bitch is truly an art form. Our new AD raises 55 mil in 5 months (yes. Tax credits count because HE had to secure them) and all you can do is whine? You must be a miserable individual. Wow. Please just go away.

Couldn't think of a better way for you to portray yourself as a 14 year old hormonal girl

Last edited:
Another Putz heard from

Since the RAC is often mentioned as a negative, wouldn't it make more sense to put this initial money towards either a new basketball facility or a renovated RAC?

1) we're not building a "new" basketball facility. For a damn, damn long time. Move on from this line of thinking.

2) we're building a NEW basketball practice facility, desperately needed for a variety of reasons, however

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
More good news. Barchi's (ballsy) termination of Julie, quickly followed by the hire Hobbs, may go down as the greatest event in Rutgers athletic history.
Absolutely agree. Hobbs has been terrific--organized, focused, communicates well and he's made two excellent hires.....

Good job Hobbs and the rest of the athletic department and university!

Question: Did anybody ever get around to asking why they don't just clean or paint the outside of the RAC? (I remember some people in the past having fun photoshopping the outside of the RAC to show what it could look like.)

While I get your point about the Texas high school stadium and fundraising. I just read the same article. And 100% of the money for that high school stadium was raised through bonds, not fundraising. So I don't know how you can possibly compare the two.

In one situation some politicians are spending other people's money. In the other Our AD is convincing people to reach into their own pockets and give cash.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevH
In a matter of months, Hobbs has blown away the fundraising done by his predecessors, who were on the job for years. There's still a long way to go, but the future appears to be bright.

Reactions: CNJKnight
No because you have to make space to make improvements basically. You have sports that need their own facilities to reduce crowding.

Good job Hobbs and the rest of the athletic department and university!

Question: Did anybody ever get around to asking why they don't just clean or paint the outside of the RAC? (I remember some people in the past having fun photoshopping the outside of the RAC to show what it could look like.)

This question came up today and Hobbs mentioned a facelift to the RAC would probably come along with Phase 2. Also planned is a plaza in front of the RAC.

Here are naming rights that have progress since the last update on 2/18/16 (compared old and new file)...

Funded:
Multisport Training Complex Lobby $1 million
Soccer Meeting Room $250,000
Wrestling Assistant Coach Office #1 $150,000

Tentative:
Wrestling Lounge $250,000
Rutgers Leadership Academy Director's Office $250,000
Men's Basketball Assistant Coach Office #2 $125,000
Men's Basketball Assistant Coach Office #3 $125,000

Reactions: RUskoolie
So all this funding started after Hobbs was hired and none left over from the Pernetti or Hermann eras, right?

No matter if some was left over and add with the new donations to make the amount raised, Hobbs seems to begetting the job done by getting wallets opened lot easier that RU's past ADs have been able to do when trying to get boosters to open their wallets and give a little more than they usually do.

So all this funding started after Hobbs was hired and none left over from the Pernetti or Hermann eras, right?

No matter if some was left over and add with the new donations to make the amount raised, Hobbs seems to begetting the job done by getting wallets opened lot easier that RU's past ADs have been able to do when trying to get boosters to open their wallets and give a little more than they usually do.
That thought did cross my mind and I'm sure there must have been some pledged donations from previous admins but I still figure Hobbs must have raised in the vicinity of 20M at least. To me that's still a very big figure for us and a nice feather in his cap.

His confidence in raising the other half in addition to what has been done already is something I put some stock in and not it just being hot air. So to me this isn't just piggybacking past admins. I like his comments from the Politi article. It echos what I always say about expanding the pool to previously disinterested alums, local businesses/people etc.

A couple things to note too. At least to date, we haven't heard about any large business contributions so that's always a possible pool that hasn't been tapped yet. Minnesota had a few large donations from local corporations for their big athletic project. Second I'm not sure if all of the other 50M or so will need to be raised privately. I've always said I thought a project like this would get done with a combination of private donations in the 10s of millions and athletic revenue bonds. As we get deeper into the revenue share period I think the idea of athletic revenue bonds becomes more feasible.

From the Politi article:
Hobbs has never used the word if when talking about this campaign. From the beginning, it's been when. He was asked if there really are enough deep-pocketed (and willing) alumni to bring this campaign over the finish line, and his answer was telling.

"We're finding more every day," he said. "Our expectation is we will blow through that ($100 million) number and be able to get all our projects off the ground. This will be successful."

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT