ADVERTISEMENT

Football BIG TEN CONFERENCE ANNOUNCES GROUNDBREAKING MEDIA RIGHTS AGREEMENTS

I disagree and I don't even think it's a close case (absent real evidence of collusion, like a witness or emails).
It is called circumstantial evidence. Do you always need emails and witnesses in price fixing cases and antitrust cases? Unfortunately, that train has left the station, the presidents and commissioner of a P5 conference, would never put at risk their current and future media contracts by acting unilaterally to disarm and become less competitive. Their current media partners would likely sue them, they paid for a conference that would compete against opposing conferences on other networks and provide top level competition. Nowhere can you point to a case in sports at any level that it went back to what it was, it only goes forward, sorry, the world is changing, maybe not for the better, but that is life.

According to Rutgers’ most recent Fiscal Year report filed to the NCAA, the athletics program had a $73.3 million shortfall in a $118.4 million budget that was made up by $27.6 million in support from the university’s operating budget, $10.5 million in student fees, a $21.5 million internal loan, an $8 million loan from the Big Ten and $4.7 million in state support.

If Rutgers has a budget of 118 million, what is the aggregate BIG budget? The. Multiply by 7. That the current expenses relative to this deal. Of course schools bring in other revenue but many remain in the red.

But but look at all of this money everyone is making on the backs of these kids.

The news of the Big Ten media rights deal came on a day when Rutgers’ finances were scrutinized in a NorthJersey.com report that Scarlet Knights football players ordered more than $450,000 through DoorDash during a 13-month period ending in June. The media outlet previously reported credit card bills by Rutgers coaches and staff for meals, trips and hotels that totaled nearly $10 million during a review of five years of charges in the athletics department.

“I think there’s a pathway (to financially sustainability),” Hobbs said. “It’s very difficult when you don’t know what future expenses are going to come. We’ll have additional travel costs going to the west coast. It’s a wonderful thing for our student athletes to get up to $5,980 a year for their performance but that’s an additional cost. We’re seeing what’s happened with head coaching salaries in football in just the last two or three years and that’s something that we have to pay attention to closely. When Greg (Schiano) came in he was in the median in the conference and now he’s not. And I have great confidence that we’re going to have to do something with Greg’s contract as we go forward.

But but look at all of this money everyone is making on the backs of these kids.

The news of the Big Ten media rights deal came on a day when Rutgers’ finances were scrutinized in a NorthJersey.com report that Scarlet Knights football players ordered more than $450,000 through DoorDash during a 13-month period ending in June. The media outlet previously reported credit card bills by Rutgers coaches and staff for meals, trips and hotels that totaled nearly $10 million during a review of five years of charges in the athletics department.

“I think there’s a pathway (to financially sustainability),” Hobbs said. “It’s very difficult when you don’t know what future expenses are going to come. We’ll have additional travel costs going to the west coast. It’s a wonderful thing for our student athletes to get up to $5,980 a year for their performance but that’s an additional cost. We’re seeing what’s happened with head coaching salaries in football in just the last two or three years and that’s something that we have to pay attention to closely. When Greg (Schiano) came in he was in the median in the conference and now he’s not. And I have great confidence that we’re going to have to do something with Greg’s contract as we go forward.

Every time expansion comes up/happens, BIG fans start talking about how ND can't 1) survive as an independent, 2) will miss their chance to join 3) will get cut out of the playoffs 4) won't be able to schedule anyone.

The biggest issue facing ND isn't getting left out. The biggest issue they are facing is how they trying to adapt to the NIL realities.
Ty,

I’ve read your posts on this board for quite some time and understand that you support ND big time but even you have to admit that if NBC did not entice the BIG for basically one night game a week and a significant amount of money to rationalize upping ND’s purse, ND football would most definitely be joining a conference asap. In a lot of ways, ND is hedging on joining the BIG with this deal until schools like FSU, Clemson, UNC, Miami, etc evaluate the pickle of a situation they are in being locked into the ACC GOR for another 14 years while schools in the BIG and SEC make significantly amount of more money than they are over that time.

ND’s grasp on independence and access to national title game is not secure by any means.

GO RU

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Let's put the farce about the value to the players of a free education aside and understand that P5 football has become a semi-professional minor leagues for the NFL. The players at these football factories have no real interest in pursuing a degree, they are there to impress the scouts and make their money at the next level. Thanks to media rights everyone connected to college football is making millions, now billions of $s, the players have a right to share in that revenue stream, and inevitably they will, whether it is next year, five years, or 10 years from now. At some point in the near future they will also unionize. For those interested in watching true student athletes play football I suggest they invest in season tickets to Princeton or Monmouth games.
Not really true---most. kids going to Monmouth to play football, lacrosse, bball are doing so for scholarship money. Many of those going to Princeton go for similar reasons tied to $ opportunities and by the way most are not typical Princeton students academically. Pure amateur atheletes, sorry not so in a large degree.

Radio interview with Brett McMurphy from about 47min-1hour mark.

Says he thinks Oregon/Washington/Stanford/Cal will get added and thinks they will be added within 2 years. Just get it all done with and setup one time rather than having to do it all over again later on down the line. Also said the schools understand that it could initially reduce the shares but they don't want to leave USC/UCLA out on an island and they could also have the 4 schools take smaller shares for some time before they get a full share. Also mentioned how it opens up the after dark window to bring in more revenue and then have the B10 on all day from noon til late night across 4 networks. PAC12 would probably die as the B12 would scoop up the 4 corners schools.

I think most of that info is kind of out there but the time table part is something that's somewhat new. I've always thought if things happens, including before USC/UCLA it would be in 2 years. It would make some sense to get it done and have them all join in 2024. Also makes sense to get it done before the PAC12 gets any new contract underway which could force the schools at least into a short term GOR. Either that or you tolerate USC/UCLA out on an island for at least 5-7 years and try again before the next contract.

Radio interview with Brett McMurphy from about 47min-1hour mark.

Says he thinks Oregon/Washington/Stanford/Cal will get added and thinks they will be added within 2 years. Just get it all done with and setup one time rather than having to do it all over again later on down the line. Also said the schools understand that it could initially reduce the shares but they don't want to leave USC/UCLA out on an island and they could also have the 4 schools take smaller shares for some time before they get a full share. Also mentioned how it opens up the after dark window to bring in more revenue and then have the B10 on all day from noon til late night across 4 networks. PAC12 would probably die as the B12 would scoop up the 4 corners schools.

I think most of that info is kind of out there but the time table part is something that's somewhat new. I've always thought if things happens, including before USC/UCLA it would be in 2 years. It would make some sense to get it done and have them all join in 2024. Also makes sense to get it done before the PAC12 gets any new contract underway which could force the schools at least into a short term GOR. Either that or you tolerate USC/UCLA out on an island for at least 5-7 years and try again before the next contract.

It’s hard to see these schools waiting 2 years for a life line.

I would agree with the addition of UW and Oregon (or Stanford and Cal.) as a means of placating USC and UCLA and not isolating them on the West coast a far distance from any other Big schools. But I would think that the media people who are ponying up for this expansion would like to cover all four time zones. That might induce the addition of an Arizona or Colorado to get in on the Mountain time zone.
Well what else are they going to do? They have no other options. To be ready for 2024 and to get in front of the PAC tv negotiations you’d think the announcements would come in the

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I would agree with the addition of UW and Oregon (or Stanford and Cal.) as a means of placating USC and UCLA and not isolating them on the West coast a far distance from any other Big schools. But I would think that the media people who are ponying up for this expansion would like to cover all four time zones. That might induce the addition of an Arizona or Colorado to get in on the Mountain time zone.
I suppose anything is possible for the 4th team if there are 4 additions. Before I was thinking if ND came it could've been 3-4 more from the west but without ND 1-2. With possible explicit escalator clauses in the contract, who knows maybe it is all 4 regardless of ND. I think it depends on how serious the B10 is about an after dark or Friday night window. If that want it they'll need more teams beyond just 1-2 that would help USC/UCLA with geography.

Reactions: Knight Shift
At some point in our lifetime P5 football players will be classified as employees of the university, at that point Title IX becomes irrelevant. Now I know some people say I only want to watch Rutgers student athletes play football, that is a legitimate point of view, so those people can pull up a chair and watch an intramural football game on campus. I don't think most people will care, they will still represent Rutgers and wear a Rutgers uniform. The faculty are employees, but if one of them wins the Nobel Prize everyone connected to the university is proud, celebrates, and brags about it. No real difference for sports, if our football team comprised of young men who are employees win the National Championship game against an Alabama team made up of young men who are employees of Alabama I guarantee those who follow and support Rutgers will celebrate the win.

If football players become employees, what happens to academics? If they are no longer student athletes, does that mean they no longer have to take classes or maintain a minimum GPA? What happens to the players that want to be students? I think NIL is the only way they can earn money. I don't see pro football sponsored by universities that have players that aren't students happening.

If football players become employees, what happens to academics? If they are no longer student athletes, does that mean they no longer have to take classes or maintain a minimum GPA? What happens to the players that want to be students? I think NIL is the only way they can earn money. I don't see pro football sponsored by universities that have players that aren't students happening.
You can be an employee of the university and take classes at the same time. Plenty of current students are employed by Rutgers in some capacity, no difference.

A lot of known info in the article but a mention of ESPN still possibly being involved for a smaller package of games not originally bid on and that's without mention of west coast teams for an after dark window. Also some charts included, including one with the social media followings of the teams in the P5.

Don’t know how much you can read I to this.

I'm sure there is more but this will drive another round and fear of missing out/left behind will take foot. I'd be really surprised if Big and ND haven't had talks already because we go 4 more, I can't see it being larger. ND window is getting smaller

Oregon, UW, Stanford, ND
Oregon, UW, xxxx, ND

I don't think the Big wants to be left out of the South either

I'm sure there is more but this will drive another round and fear of missing out/left behind will take foot. I'd be really surprised if Big and ND haven't had talks already because we go 4 more, I can't see it being larger. ND window is getting smaller

Oregon, UW, Stanford, ND
Oregon, UW, xxxx, ND

I don't think the Big wants to be left out of the South either
I think the B10 would always have a spot for ND. If hypothetically, they took 4 PAC and were at 20 and ND suddenly wanted in, I'm sure the B10 would take them and sit at 21 for the time being until ACC schools freed up.

I was thinking 1-3 more PAC schools with ND's status determining the number. If they didn't come 1-2 and if they did probably 3. Hearing possible explicit terms on escalators makes me think 2 w/o ND and 3-4 with them but we'll see.

I do think B10 will go into the south with some combo of schools out of UNC, UVA, FSU, Miami, GT. I do feel getting into Florida is probably important to them. I also think 24 total would be the limit.

Don’t know how much you can read I to this.

I appreciate all the work and time that everybody here puts into posting all this potential news...you guys are amazing. This stuff is really fascinating. But, has Brett McMurphy been shown to be an insider of any sort on any of the earlier conference expansion flurries? Doesn't it seem that when it is the most silent is when the stuff is most likely to hit the fan? Just interested if you feel that there are really a couple of guys that are most likely to actually know something in advance...even though I read my Conference Expansion Digest here thanks to you guys! It's like getting the Cliff Notes and Book review before actually reading the book! Go RU!

I appreciate all the work and time that everybody here puts into posting all this potential news...you guys are amazing. This stuff is really fascinating. But, has Brett McMurphy been shown to be an insider of any sort on any of the earlier conference expansion flurries? Doesn't it seem that when it is the most silent is when the stuff is most likely to hit the fan? Just interested if you feel that there are really a couple of guys that are most likely to actually know something in advance...even though I read my Conference Expansion Digest here thanks to you guys! It's like getting the Cliff Notes and Book review before actually reading the book! Go RU!
Well there are two ways to look at that. One is expansion stays quiet until boom it hits. Or this info is the leak and a sign that it's coming.

I tend to lean towards the former than the latter. I do think they will be adding schools from the west. I've thought that right from the start just from an overall strategy standpoint but the who exactly and the when is hard to predict. I do feel there's a good chance of it to be in the next 2 years before the PAC can get their deal done and before the B10 kicks off 2024 season with USC/UCLA but who really knows for sure. If it doesn't happen in that time frame then every time a tv deal comes up is another opportunity.

Without ND, I'd think closer to 2 than 4 but with that explicit escalator clause news who knows.

edit: P5 HC changes and sports business news (specifically related to CFB) get the juices flowing for me if you can't tell lol.

SBJ with some clarity on the escalators in the B10 contract. Only ND has an explicit unknown figure Fox/CBS/NBC would pay if they were to join. No other school is mentioned. So for the rest it's more like your typical escalator where there would be good faith negotiations, like Bob Thompson mentioned, in the case of additions.

If that be the case, then I'd stick with my lower end guess of 1-2 additional teams from the west. If it's not explicitly said then you have to worry about a little too much dilution if you go beyond 2.

SBJ with some clarity on the escalators in the B10 contract. Only ND has an explicit unknown figure Fox/CBS/NBC would pay if they were to join. No other school is mentioned. So for the rest it's more like your typical escalator where there would be good faith negotiations, like Bob Thompson mentioned, in the case of additions.

If that be the case, then I'd stick with my lower end guess of 1-2 additional teams from the west. If it's not explicitly said then you have to worry about a little too much dilution if you go beyond 2.

I think the B10 would always have a spot for ND. If hypothetically, they took 4 PAC and were at 20 and ND suddenly wanted in, I'm sure the B10 would take them and sit at 21 for the time being until ACC schools freed up.

I was thinking 1-3 more PAC schools with ND's status determining the number. If they didn't come 1-2 and if they did probably 3. Hearing possible explicit terms on escalators makes me think 2 w/o ND and 3-4 with them but we'll see.

I do think B10 will go into the south with some combo of schools out of UNC, UVA, FSU, Miami, GT. I do feel getting into Florida is probably important to them. I also think 24 total would be the limit.
I can't see how they can ever go to 24 without the distribution to teams going down. I don't see the conference allowing any add ons that lowers the take home

I can't see how they can ever go to 24 without the distribution to teams going down. I don't see the conference allowing any add ons that lowers the take home
I don't know if it'll get to 24, I just cap it at that number. There's something to be said for size and scale and the leverage you get for negotiation from it whether it's 20, 22, 24. Plus reaching all over the country and being the top quality national conference has its benefits too in terms of wide interest. Why are pro leagues in Nashville, Portland, Oklahoma City and the like? There must be some benefit to reaching these areas.

You also have the inventory to spread all over multiple media partners. Right now it's NBC, CBS, Fox. If the number of schools go up, it could be ESPN too and a streamer like Amazon or Apple in addition. The additions will also usually happen in the vicinity of tv contract time so the pinch or whatever you want to call it won't really be felt as much and the distribution amount will go up. Following the NFL model isn't a bad idea IMO. When it's all said and done I feel like 20 is the min and 24 is the max.

• Love
Ty,

I’ve read your posts on this board for quite some time and understand that you support ND big time but even you have to admit that if NBC did not entice the BIG for basically one night game a week and a significant amount of money to rationalize upping ND’s purse, ND football would most definitely be joining a conference asap. In a lot of ways, ND is hedging on joining the BIG with this deal until schools like FSU, Clemson, UNC, Miami, etc evaluate the pickle of a situation they are in being locked into the ACC GOR for another 14 years while schools in the BIG and SEC make significantly amount of more money than they are over that time.

ND’s grasp on independence and access to national title game is not secure by any means.

GO RU

One, you really have no idea what ND would have to do if the BIG hadn't signed a deal with NBC. Some of you have made a lot of predictions over the years as to what ND would have to do if this or that happened and it never actually came true.

Two, ND has been making less money than both the SEC and BIG teams for years now. ND has never been about making more than the SEC or BIG, it's been about making as much as they can while still controlling their own moves, etc. And again, despite predictions to the contrary, ND has navigated the last 20 years almost perfectly and made a lot of money in the process.

Three, ND seemingly has a better understanding of where their place is in terms of independence and the playoffs than fans do. Nothing is secure, and maybe ND has to join a conference in a few years. Who knows. But the reality is that ND has been way more right over the last 20 years or so since expansion has started than fans on a message board have.

CBS B10 season preview and prediction article. Seems like an ESPN like pump from CBS already. Every other phrase out of Danielson's mouth will have to be OSU now instead of Alabama lol.

All of their writers had RU either 6th or 7th in the East.

Some of their predictions:
  • Dennis Dodd: At some point during the season, the Big Ten will announce further expansion and revenue sharing with the players, thereby lapping the SEC not only in dollars but prestige and recruiting. These could be the checkmate moves commissioner Kevin Warren wants to make.
  • Tom Fornelli: Both Ohio State and Michigan will go into their annual rivalry game with 11-0 records. The winner of the game will go on to win the Big Ten title, while the loser will make the CFP as the No. 4 seed.
  • Chip Patterson: When the CFP Selection Committee makes its final rankings reveal at the end of the season, the Big Ten will have three of the top eight teams in the country and could put two in the playoff.
  • Barrett Sallee: The 2022 Big Ten Championship Game will serve as a defacto play-in game for the playoff. However, if Wisconsin is capable of springing the upset on Ohio State, both teams could get in depending how the landscape of the football season evolves.

What was the breakdown last year?
Or prior years?

That’s probably a good start to see if they actually avoid Big Ten schools going forward.
I think they were at Ohio st UM last year which was bigger than usual…they’ve been to Ohio st and state Penn and NW at Wrigley that I recall. I bet it averages to 1-2 per season? (TOTAL guess on my part)

Reactions: NickRU714
At the bagel shop and they have college gameday on.

They seem to be including Ohio State in every conversation with Alabama as the elite teams this year.

Don’t appear to giving the Big Ten the cold shoulder.

this is based on 5 seconds of looking

What was the breakdown last year?
Or prior years?

That’s probably a good start to see if they actually avoid Big Ten schools going forward.
Breakdown of CGD visits and the locations from last year. OSU is the team that has been visited most at 21, Alabama next at 16, Florida/LSU tied at 13.

They will be at the OSU/ND game next week at Columbus.

ADVERTISEMENT