ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten football “expected” to return

This is going to get interesting. A student at B10 school in the Eastern conference this week has died from COVID. It’s a little complicated as he tested positive but was in a brawl prior that sent him to the emergency room. They don’t know cause of death yet but he did test positive. My sense is that this will get out whether it is formally announced or not by the University.

This is going to get interesting. A student at B10 school in the Eastern conference this week has died from COVID. It’s a little complicated as he tested positive but was in a brawl prior that sent him to the emergency room. They don’t know cause of death yet but he did test positive. My sense is that this will get out whether it is formally announced or not by the University.
So they aren't sure yet whether he was murdered or died of Covid?

Money won't even be the deciding factor, despite several Big Ten schools citing possible $100-million losses if the Big Ten doesn't play football.
At Michigan State, football generates nearly $80 million of the athletic department's $140 million in revenues, with nearly $20 million coming from football ticket sales, nearly $35 million for football TV rights, and another $1.4 million from football game-day parking and concessions. At Michigan, football brings in more than $122 million of the department's $198 million in revenues, with about $46 million for ticket sales, $35 million for football TV rights, and $2.5 million for game-day parking and concessions.
Michigan State also brings in about $12 million in contributions, often from alums, and often tied to football tickets. At Michigan, that figure is about $29 million.
At Michigan State, football and basketball profit more than $51 million, subsidizing the $25 million in losses from all other sports. At Michigan, football and basketball profit more than $86 million, making up for the $44 million in losses for all other sports.

Reactions: Knightmoves

Money won't even be the deciding factor, despite several Big Ten schools citing possible $100-million losses if the Big Ten doesn't play football.
At Michigan State, football generates nearly $80 million of the athletic department's $140 million in revenues, with nearly $20 million coming from football ticket sales, nearly $35 million for football TV rights, and another $1.4 million from football game-day parking and concessions. At Michigan, football brings in more than $122 million of the department's $198 million in revenues, with about $46 million for ticket sales, $35 million for football TV rights, and $2.5 million for game-day parking and concessions.
Michigan State also brings in about $12 million in contributions, often from alums, and often tied to football tickets. At Michigan, that figure is about $29 million.
At Michigan State, football and basketball profit more than $51 million, subsidizing the $25 million in losses from all other sports. At Michigan, football and basketball profit more than $86 million, making up for the $44 million in losses for all other sports.
Cool. If they did RU, they would need to include Middlesex County Sheriff's Department citation revenue.

Done with this Rutgers sports if they don’t play this season while other schools in B1G do

Well that and add in whatever BLM support crap I find if I research the team's position on BLM and I'm afraid I might be with you.

At the least RU should get no payment. Worst case I could see us put on probation or expelled - maybe just for football(?)

The mitigating factor to that from the B1G's point of view is that if RU or worse the RU players vote not to play the B1G would likely be VERY reluctant to force them or use leverage becuaue of the very slim chance someone actually dies from the WuFlu on the RU FB team after they were "forced" by the B1G to play.

I could see RU vote to stay out and the B1G and RU agree to a reduced payment for this year. Compromise by idiots with cowards.

Reactions: bac2therac
Well that and add in whatever BLM support crap I find if I research the team's position on BLM and I'm afraid I might be with you.

At the least RU should get no payment. Worst case I could see us put on probation or expelled - maybe just for football(?)

The mitigating factor to that from the B1G's point of view is that if RU or worse the RU players vote not to play the B1G would likely be VERY reluctant to force them or use leverage becuaue of the very slim chance someone actually dies from the WuFlu on the RU FB team after they were "forced" by the B1G to play.

I could see RU vote to stay out and the B1G and RU agree to a reduced payment for this year. Compromise by idiots with cowards.
Don't know about RU's stance on BLM. I do know that punctuation matters as I got a headache trying to read this.

Reactions: Greg2020
"Playing this season may go against a president’s conscience and/or better judgment, but not playing could be a death penalty for that school’s football program.

Sitting out the fall, or even the entire 2020-21 academic year, is a tough pill to swallow for any program, to be sure. But at least all 14 Big Ten schools choked it down together, even if Warren had to hold Nebraska and Ohio State’s mouths shut like a dog taking heart worm medicine.

But if you’re the only Big Ten program swallowing that pill? It’s a stain your football program can’t wash off. If you’re sitting on the sideline while the rest of the conference is on TV every week? If your competitors are playing each week while your players go a full year without playing a game? It’s competitively devastating for your football program."

In a recent interview with our news partners at NBC4, OSU President Kristina Johnson said she's "very hopeful that we’ll be playing football this fall.”
“We want to make sure our athletes get a shot because they’ve worked really hard and they deserve a shot to play,” Johnson told reporters.

if a season happens I can see some upsets where schools like Rutgers or Maryland may win games they usually don't because of all the disrutions. We saw a couple of upsets in the B12 already.

The training camps are not what they usually are. You just don't know how covid will affect these players subconsciously if there is an outbreak on one's campus or the campus you are playing against.

If a season happens do you get at least 10 games in? If no, why should a B1G be considered for the playoff?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT