Big Ten Network - Basketball Ratings Up 11% This Season

Discussion in 'Men's Basketball' started by Mr_Twister, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Mr_Twister

Mr_Twister Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

2. HeavenUniv.

HeavenUniv. Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

I will go with almost all.

gringo, RutgHoops, RW90 and 9 others like this.
  3. ColonelRutgers

ColonelRutgers All American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Not sure, but the league was ultracompetitive with only Northwestern and Nebraska, neither storied basketball schools, sucking.

ILikePike likes this.
  4. RUKnights86

RUKnights86 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The league was just competitive night in and night out from top to bottom. Even Nebraska and NW had their moments of scaring teams including us. I know I found myself most nights watching BIG games more so than any other games due to that level of parity.

5. RU82

RU82 Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

It was an absolutely amazing year for B1G basketball. Night after night after night, matchup after matchup after matchup, went down to the last minute before the outcome was decided. I’ve never seen anything like it.

6. Beancounter88

Beancounter88 All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, the B1G Network studio show is very good. Never watched it before this year. Dave Revsine is good host and the commentators are very good - Andy Katz, even had John Beilein. Second only to Rangers pre/post game.

7. ecojew

ecojew All American
    Expand Collapse

So many nail biters all season long makes for great entertainment. RU certainly did its share to add to the fun and to the ratings!

satnom likes this.
  8. richthedentist

richthedentist All Conference
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If you go by me it was definitely Rutgers as since we were finally good I found myself watching games almost every night and in the years past when we were bad I had no reason to watch other games

RUPete, RU848789, ScarletDave and 4 others like this.
  9. Mr_Twister

Mr_Twister Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

A competitive then successful Rutgers football team will have a similar effect.

10. HeavenUniv.

HeavenUniv. Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Wait, when was Northwestern Oklahoma State admitted into the Big Ten ???!!!

11. RUonBrain

RUonBrain All American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

11% increase.

I’ll say 12% increase due to Rutgers fans offsets an otherwise 1% drop.

You’re welcome, B1G.

12. ejgonz

ejgonz Senior
    Expand Collapse

I’d love to see NYC ratings increase vs rest of the country

RUsojo likes this.
  13. RutgersNYCB1G

RutgersNYCB1G Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Us Rutgers fans tend to overrate our TV ratings power but in this case, it's probably justified. I know several fellow alums who were (at best) casual Rutgers basketball fans that stopped what they were doing to watch almost every RU game down the stretch this season.

vilo, RUReadyD, shields and 3 others like this.
  14. srru86

srru86 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

Yup. Let someone prove otherwise.

Loyal-Son likes this.
  15. ecojew

ecojew All American
    Expand Collapse

I think you're right about this. IIRC, in 2014, our first year in the B1G, didn't our night home games vs. PSU and Michigan set ratings records for BTN?

ScarletDave likes this.
  16. hoquat63

hoquat63 All Conference
    Expand Collapse

I know I watched a lot more monRU B1G games this season

17. KevH

KevH All Conference
    Expand Collapse

I'm the same way. When my team sucks, my interest level in other teams is cut in half.

Scarlet83 and RutgersRaRa like this.
  18. RUfromSoCal?

RUfromSoCal? Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

99.9% obvs.....

19. rutgersdave

rutgersdave Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

The Big Ten should want Rutgers to win the football and basketball championships. They might be able to gat an extra 29% from TV,

20. Scangg

Scangg All American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Always watch Rutgers games. This year watched a bunch of non Rutgers B1G games since we were relevant and the league was good

RutgHoops and Arizona Knight like this.
  21. Tango Two

Tango Two Moderator
    Expand Collapse

MEN'S BASKETBALL ON BTN DELIVERS MOST-WATCHED REGULAR SEASON IN NETWORK HISTORY

Several Big Ten programs experienced dramatic individual year-over-year growth for conference game broadcasts, including a +51% increase for Illinois, a +47% increase for Indiana, a +43% increase for Maryland, a +34% increase for Penn State, a +30% increase for Rutgers and a +15% increase for Iowa.

No top 10 games for Rutgers:

https://btn.com/2020/03/11/mens-bas...st-watched-regular-season-in-network-history/

RUsojo likes this.
  22. G- RUnit

G- RUnit All American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Love to see the NYC metro area viewers.

23. Fighter of the Nightman

Expand Collapse

Was gonna say, I’d assume we (Illinois) played at least a small part in this ... big fan base that has been absolutely starved for success for 15 years (and was quite accustomed to it before that). My other guess was RU!

RutgersRaRa and patk89 like this.
  24. ScarletDave

ScarletDave All American
    Expand Collapse

Percent doesn’t tell the story. A 50% increase for Illinois could be less people than a 30% increase for Rutgers .. in fact it probably is

25. srru86

srru86 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

Boom

26. srru86

srru86 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

True.

It's astounding that so many middle america old school big ten fans, and journalists, don't get just how much vaster (and richer) the NYC media market is than some of their comparison points.

For example 1% of NYC market is larger than 5% of the Indianapolis market which is the 25th largest in the country.
    TV Households:
    NYC = 6,824,120
    Indianapolis = 1,053,830

That doesn't take into account that a large portion of the #4 market in the country, Philadelphia, is actually South Jersey.

26 srru86, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    KevH and TRU2RU like this.
  27. RUHouston

RUHouston All Conference
    Expand Collapse

28. Fighter of the Nightman

Expand Collapse

That would be a fair argument for Purdue or Iowa, but Illinois is a state of 13 million (4.5 million of which is Downstate IL, completely separate from Chicago or its suburbs) and UI has 220,000 alumni in the Chicago area, not to mention it’s a decent draw in St. Louis, as well. This is to take nothing away from your broader point about RU’s market potential ... just to point out that IL isn’t the best example here. Indiana, MSU, Illinois, Michigan and OSU might be from “Middle America,” but they have very large followings.

29. RU848789

RU848789 Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. When we suck, I grit my way through our games and don't watch much other teams much, but this year, I watched tons of games, as I liked knowing our opponents and seeing who was doing well and not, since it took a long time to finally feel like we had secured our elusive NCAA bid. I'll always miss not getting to see us make the Sweet 16 (only half kidding), but this might've been my favorite hoops season ever.

30. RUsojo

RUsojo Heisman Winner
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

BTN just puts out a great product in terms of coverage. Consistent tip off times. Consistent pre game coverage. And does a really great job of building the casual viewers knowledge of the whole leave during the 2.5 hours that person might tune in for their teams game - making them more likely to tune in for other games.

Personally I have always been a regional college sports fan. I am more likely to watch St Johns v Deleware than Arkansas Ole Miss.

For me, I watch BTN every night during the season and I watch nearly all the games they air. And I will watch Minnesota Ohio St over Baylor Texas Tech.

Programming is key

31. RUnTeX

RUnTeX All American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Hey UIUC guy, thanks for sharing. NJ is a rather small state so only two large TV markets (both located beyond its borders) cover the entire state and its nearly 9M population. Illinois is about 6-7x larger in area so population density is much greater in NJ. NYC to Philadelphia is about 90 miles center to center as the crow flies (even shorter if measuring southern tip of Staten Island in NYC to northeastern city limits of Philly). In between those two points are 3-4 NJ counties (one of which includes Rutgers-NB). Southern NJ is about 2M+ of the state's population so in that respect it's similar to what you mentioned about downstate IL, but note that all of that population is contained in Philly's TV market. A big difference is that NJ has not a single city within its borders greater than a measly 280K (one tenth of Chicago) in population, yet Northern and Central NJ have a combined population of nearly 7M, all of which is contained in NYC's TV market and metro area population of 20M+.

Just the single county (Middlesex) in central NJ in which Rutgers-NB is located is 3-4x times more populous than the Urbana-Champaign MSA comprising 3 counties. You mentioned UI has 220K alumni in Chicago area. As a point of comparison, Rutgers probably has about 350K in greater NYC metro since much of that metro area includes highly populated NJ counties (of course some alumni also live in the multiple NY counties incl. NYC itself and out on Long Island, even up in CT).

By virtue of being in the B1G, with increased visibility from athletics success, Rutgers' following has the potential to grow with only minimal further penetration of the NYC DMA/market. The question remains whether Rutgers athletics can fully capitalize on its location but it's poised to potentially do so. Definitely Illinois can regain market share in Chicago area with further success too, especially since it helps to have such a massive city within your own state. Rutgers just has to try to capture more the NJ portion of the market, since it's much more challenging across the river in NY State (NYC proper).