ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Realignment Articles

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004

And for those who just can’t get enough expansion talk—

eh, the move was a package of Oklahoma + Texas, and maybe an additional duo of Kansas/Rice/Houston/Tech/SMU/Baylor back then if Texas insisted. Not worth it to expand at this point unless the ACC gets imploded.

This writer is bored and lazy…the idea of A&M in the B1G is idiotic. There’s no geographical fit, no cultural fit…no fit period. The fans / alums would revolt and hate the very ideal. A team from the state of Texas does not belong in the big ten…and never will. The big ten is a midwestern/eastern group. Makes as much sense as RU in the Pac.

KU…maybe?

This writer is bored and lazy…the idea of A&M in the B1G is idiotic. There’s no geographical fit, no cultural fit…no fit period. The fans / alums would revolt and hate the very ideal. A team from the state of Texas does not belong in the big ten…and never will. The big ten is a midwestern/eastern group. Makes as much sense as RU in the Pac.

KU…maybe?
Not to mention that ESPN (who should know)has said that despite the public belief that the SEC has no GOR, one exists and those schools are bound until the 30’s.

KU…maybe?
That's the wrong excuse. It's all Kevin Warren's fault. He should be more aggressive in getting Jimbo's team and then USC to the B1G. If not, he's a failure according to some on the board.

KU…maybe?
I don't think A&M would want to join either, but the B1G being a midwestern/eastern group is only a recent one due to the expansion east with Penn State in 1991, so saying that the conference doesn't belong in Texas/South is a bit bunk. The conference was exploring expanding into Texas with UT for decades but just never closed the deal, and that included the most recent talks with former OU president David Boren who was working very hard to do a package deal with Texas.

Reactions: Ridge 22
That's the wrong excuse. It's all Kevin Warren's fault. He should be more aggressive in getting Jimbo's team and then USC to the B1G. If not, he's a failure according to some on the board.
I agree.. if we expand, we need to make a splash, real strong effort to snag someone that is uphill battle, thus making it more worth it. DUKE and GTech would be great adds. Hard to do, but they brinng academics and 2 x sports they are competitive in. PAC is great idea, but seems little to far, unless they grabbed 4 teams.
This can happen, but it would take a lot of planning behind the scenes.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Pretty horrible article. It lists as candidates schools who can’t get out of the conference they are in, and doesn’t list the PAC12 schools that can.
Technically any sec school can leave at any time…there’s not buyout I believe…though they’d be dumb to go

And for those who just can’t get enough expansion talk—

Well at least while the bottom link is ripping us and MD as a team and not just us alone.

• Sad
Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
Its because Delany hasn’t told him what to do yet. According to some. 😂😂😂😂😂

as soon as we hear something, we’ll know that Delany decided it was time and it will be the most Amazing schools to choose from. 🤷🏽‍♂️😂😂😂😂

I don't think A&M would want to join either, but the B1G being a midwestern/eastern group is only a recent one due to the expansion east with Penn State in 1991, so saying that the conference doesn't belong in Texas/South is a bit bunk. The conference was exploring expanding into Texas with UT for decades but just never closed the deal, and that included the most recent talks with former OU president David Boren who was working very hard to do a package deal with Texas.
No team from Texas will ever be in the b1g…the ONLY two that could are in the sec and the only one that wanted (all they had to do was ask) decided to go to the Dixieland / inbred conference…what Texas fans mocked A&M for doing in 2012. They did the financial calculus and sucked their “we are too good for those southern losers” pride…funny how $$$ works.

OU was a non started for the b1g

The article on expansion was awful ! I don’t expect any expansion to occur. I do expect Michigan State to transfer to the West im lieu of Purdue if divisions remain or divisions to be eliminated as I think this is what the MSU AD was referring to.

The article on expansion was awful ! I don’t expect any expansion to occur. I do expect Michigan State to transfer to the West im lieu of Purdue if divisions remain or divisions to be eliminated as I think this is what the MSU AD was referring to.
Heard it from two of the best sources on the subject that divisions will be gone in 2023- was not clear if beginning or end of season. I can't say the sources, but I would be shocked if they were both wrong.

Heard it from two of the best sources on the subject that divisions will be gone in 2023- was not clear if beginning or end of season. I can't say the sources, but I would be shocked if they were both wrong.
The above seems logical. It’s the current dance trend as well. 😂. In all seriousness , I would expect conference to be 1 division starting in 2023 and am sure that logistics such as common annual opponents etc are the areas now to be discussed. / agreed to by all schools etc.

There is a 0.0% chance of any school leaving the SEC voluntarily. This is truly an awful article. Here, I'll write a better one off the top of my head in 15 seconds ...

Here is an actual list of Big Ten expansion targets, in order:

1. Notre Dame
2. USC
3. UCLA
4. Stanford
5. Cal-Berkley
6. North Carolina
7. Virginia
8. Washington (maybe)

The end.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
There is a 0.0% chance of any school leaving the SEC voluntarily. This is truly an awful article. Here, I'll write a better one off the top of my head in 15 seconds ...

Here is an actual list of Big Ten expansion targets, in order:

1. Notre Dame
2. USC
3. UCLA
4. Stanford
5. Cal-Berkley
6. North Carolina
7. Virginia
8. Washington (maybe)

The end.
Unending LOL at that list except the Caths of Indiana. 🤣 the ACC is not breaking up…if the b1g really wanted to expand it would not have let “inbreds from Dixieland” (that’s the appropriate elitist insult, right?) beat them to the punch. ND and some lesser b12 team is all that’s left…

Reactions: RU2131
As improbable - UNC/UVA would be ideal.

Would be interesting so see how UM/tOSU react because the power base would shift East.

Would kill the ACC and hope Rutgers gets to cast the deciding vote 😎
How?

The best outcome for RU would be a version of the basketball model. Scrap the divisions. Everyone gets assigned one rival that they play every year. (We’d get Maryland which would be perfect for us). You get half the remaining teams in odd years and the other half every even. The 8th game could be matched up based on how the teams did the prior year to promote additional prime time games and give weaker teams opportunity for an extra potentially easier game.

The best outcome for RU would be a version of the basketball model. Scrap the divisions. Everyone gets assigned one rival that they play every year. (We’d get Maryland which would be perfect for us). You get half the remaining teams in odd years and the other half every even. The 8th game could be matched up based on how the teams did the prior year to promote additional prime time games and give weaker teams opportunity for an extra potentially easier game.
That would actually be pretty cool. But that means Michigan has to give up either Mich St or Ohio State.

That would actually be pretty cool. But that means Michigan has to give up either Mich St or Ohio State.
To start, everyone would be playing each other every other year.

The 8th game would be scheduled based on prior year finish but also projected viewing appeal (isn’t that sort of how it works for hoops?). They’d start by creating 2 pods - top 7 finish and bottom 7 from prior season. Match ups would be determined first from amongst the top pod based on who wasn’t already slated to play each other in the upcoming season based on appeal. It would end up working out so that rivalries that didn’t make the top cut would get to meet 3 out of 4 years.

This is based on 8 games and I wasn’t aware lowering from 9 is the preferred method.

If they were going to drop to 8, then the method with 3 opponents always on a schedule works out mathematically. It would require some effort at balancing things.

This is based on 8 games and I wasn’t aware lowering from 9 is the preferred method.

If they were going to drop to 8, then the method with 3 opponents always on a schedule works out mathematically. It would require some effort at balancing things.
It would be the same if it was 9 games except 2 games would be scheduled instead of one based on prior year standings and viewing appeal. I think they would see it that 3 standing every year opponents is too many if you don’t have divisions. The schedules would be very unbalanced. Every team should play every other yet at minimum if you scrap divisions.

As improbable - UNC/UVA would be ideal.

Would be interesting so see how UM/tOSU react because the power base would shift East.

Would kill the ACC and hope Rutgers gets to cast the deciding vote 😎
UNC and UVA would be ideal academic institutions and fit the geographic profile well with more teams on the Eastern side and travel for RU, MD....
*** ACC is done when compared to B1G, SEC and even PAC.
I say steal these teams while/if they can, as you never know if SEC is looking to take an ACC team for themselves.

UNC and UVA would be ideal academic institutions and fit the geographic profile well with more teams on the Eastern side and travel for RU, MD....
*** ACC is done when compared to B1G, SEC and even PAC.
I say steal these teams while/if they can, as you never know if SEC is looking to take an ACC team for themselves.
If we are bringing in new schools, need to bring in one from Florida and one from Texas. About 50 million people and still growing. Endless talent in football, baseball, other non-revenue sports and underrated basketball. And huuuge interest in college sports.

It would be the same if it was 9 games except 2 games would be scheduled instead of one based on prior year standings and viewing appeal. I think they would see it that 3 standing every year opponents is too many if you don’t have divisions. The schedules would be very unbalanced. Every team should play every other yet at minimum if you scrap divisions.
Agree completely with the thought everybody should play everybody within a short interval. Every other year would be preferred, but 2 on/off may be more workable with the odd home/away number of conference games. Someone can do the math.

Balancing as best as possible is most fair. It would seem tOSU could end up on the short end if there were 3 held games. On a similar note, the more standings based matchups, the more likely those become increasingly unbalanced.

Agree completely with the thought everybody should play everybody within a short interval. Every other year would be preferred, but 2 on/off may be more workable with the odd home/away number of conference games. Someone can do the math.

Balancing as best as possible is most fair. It would seem tOSU could end up on the short end if there were 3 held games. On a similar note, the more standings based matchups, the more likely those become increasingly unbalanced.
Other than Michigan what do they have to have?

Like it’s a deal breaker if they don’t get it.

Other than Michigan what do they have to have?

Like it’s a deal breaker if they don’t get it.
I was thinking OSU and PSU would play every year and the 2 Michigan schools would too. Basically it would be a virtual lock for the OSU and Michigan schools to be paired in their off years for game 8.

I was thinking OSU and PSU would play every year and the 2 Michigan schools would too. Basically it would be a virtual lock for the OSU and Michigan schools to be paired in their off years for game 8.
Eh.

The list I saw was just for one and it looked pretty good.

From memory:

RU/Maryland
tOSU/Michigan
Northwestern/Illinois
Nebraska/Iowa
Purdue/Indiana
MSU/State Penn
Wisky/Minny

Other than maybe the last two, those are pretty good.

But I think Wisconsin and Minnesota play for something so that’s a real one.

MSU and State Penn feels a little forced but maybe there is something there we don’t know about.

Eh.

The list I saw was just for one and it looked pretty good.

From memory:

RU/Maryland
tOSU/Michigan
Northwestern/Illinois
Nebraska/Iowa
Purdue/Indiana
MSU/State Penn
Wisky/Minny

Other than maybe the last two, those are pretty good.

But I think Wisconsin and Minnesota play for something so that’s a real one.

MSU and State Penn feels a little forced but maybe there is something there we don’t know about.
Wisc - Minn is the longest running college football rivalry at 131 games…that list you typed is the best possible pairs possible…all of them make sense.

If we are bringing in new schools, need to bring in one from Florida and one from Texas. About 50 million people and still growing. Endless talent in football, baseball, other non-revenue sports and underrated basketball. And huuuge interest in college sports.
You need to let go of that pipe dream…the ONLY two schools in Texas that bring anything in terms of real viewership and interest are already secure. Baylor, tech, uh and tcu add nothing. The mere mention of florida schools into the B1G is hilarious. The most highly rated academically is UF and they are never ever ever leaving the sec (why the eff would they?)

ND and KU…that’s as good as it can get for the B1G. Anything else is pure fantasy!

Reactions: ScarletDave
Wisc - Minn is the longest running college football rivalry at 131 games…that list you typed is the best possible pairs possible…all of them make sense.
Not my list, forget when I saw it on here or where it was from.

But you’re right. After typing it out again, the line up does make sense.

And I misremembered how far back the Wisky/Minny rivalry goes. So really only Sparty/State Penn is the one I have a little trouble wrapping my head around.

Last edited:
MSU and Penn St played on rivalry week for the land grant trophy every year between 1990 and 2013.
Well there you go.

So this list is perfect.

“B1G Rivalry Week sponsored by * __________”

* the highest bidder😎💰💰💰

Last edited:
So really only Sparty/State Penn is the one I have a little trouble wrapping my head around.
Process of elimination. MSU was lacking a season ending opponent having that extra incentive feeling when PSU joined. Voila, B10 creates a “rival”. Some real close games through the years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT