ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Realignment Articles

Well there go.

So this list is perfect.

“B1G Rivalry Week sponsored by * __________”

* the highest bidder😎💰💰💰
RU MD by virtue of being the new kids in the conference and connected by I 95…it’s perfect.

Other than Michigan what do they have to have?

Like it’s a deal breaker if they don’t get it.
Not that tOSU would be requesting it, but each of the following would be completely logical on an individual basis of being considered 1 of 3 ongoing opponents.
I was thinking OSU and PSU would play every year and the 2 Michigan schools would too.
The theoretical result of all of them combined would not fall under a fair and balanced description. Not sure replacing one of the States with another that has been less successful would either.

Not that tOSU would be requesting it, but each of the following would be completely logical on an individual basis of being considered 1 of 3 ongoing opponents.

The theoretical result of all of them combined would not fall under a fair and balanced description. Not sure replacing one of the States with another that has been less successful would either.
I was thinking it would be spun as one regional every year rival (game 7) and one annually determined match up geared towards marketing exposure (game 8). While only the regional rival would be static, Ohio State vs Michigan would all but be penciled in for an annual game 8 pairing. For teams like RU, Maryland and Purdue, maximizing exposure would be best served by evenly matching opponents in game 8 because that helps maximize the number of teams that get to 6 wins which brings more money to the conference. Works for everyone.

I think OSU would be fine with this arrangement.

UNC campus is a total fit for the Big Ten. Yes they are the darling of the ACC and it will kill them. They also have the dominance in Olympic sports that is important in the Big Ten. But would they leave Duke, NC State and the yearly tournaments in Greensboro in nearly every sport ?

UMD did and they were also winning championships in Bball and Olympic sports.

Think some would question the cultural fit of a team south of the Mason-Dixon Line joining a midwestern conference.

I was listening to a bunch of OSU Youtubers who were talking about what would be Rutgers 3 permanent rivalries

Obviously Maryland for all 3 suggestions
1) Penn St and Illinois - Reason was that Rutgers had to have one decent opponent
2) Illinois and Northwestern - He gave Penn St to Maryland and pretty much said Rutgers should be happy with w/e - This guy is a complete jerk. And the reasoning for the other schools was Jersey Mafia vs Chicago Mafia.
3) Penn St and Michigan St

In any case, what scenario do you prefer, getting stronger opponents like Penn St and Michigan St. Or getting what is left like Illinois and Northwestern.

RU MD by virtue of being the new kids in the conference and connected by I 95…it’s perfect.
I do think there are good reasons for RU and Maryland to be rivals, I find it ridiculous that people cite proximity to a highway as a reason for it.
Moreover, what makes I-95 so important as a rivalry maker? Why not US-1? Why not the railroad? I'd rather we played for a bucket, or a jug or similar. How about a bell? Has Maryland accidentally left anything behind when leaving our visiting locker room? If so we could claim whatever it is as a trophy.

This writer is bored and lazy…the idea of A&M in the B1G is idiotic. There’s no geographical fit, no cultural fit…no fit period. The fans / alums would revolt and hate the very ideal. A team from the state of Texas does not belong in the big ten…and never will. The big ten is a midwestern/eastern group. Makes as much sense as RU in the Pac.

KU…maybe?
Well so much for that theory

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT