ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Standings

motorb54

All American
Gold Member
Dec 23, 2005
This league is crazy. Can you say Parity.
Rutgers alone in second place by a game at 8-4.
But 5 teams at 7-5 and Northwestern could join the 7-5 logjam if they beat Wisconsin tonight.
If we lost we would be in that 7-5 mix.
The upcoming week has us at Indiana and at Illinois, two of the 7-5 teams.
Indiana has been tough at home (11-1) with the only loss to Northwestern. Bad on the road/neutral (5-6).
Illinois has Minnesota Tuesday so have to expect them to be 8-5 when they host Rutgers Saturday.

A streak like last year would probably put us second for the Big Ten tournie.
Even if we faulter this week would expect 4-4 to end the regular season. (20-11, 12-8)
Eight teams in the battle for the 2 through 4 seeds. PARITY.

PSU lost at Nebraska today .

Last edited:
This league is crazy. Can you say Parity.
Rutgers alone in second place by 1/2 a game at 7-4.
But 5 teams at 7-5 and Northwestern could join the 7-5 logjam if they beat Wisconsin tonight.
So if we lost yesterday we would have dropped to a tie for 7th or 8th.
The upcoming week has us at Indiana and at Illinois, two of the 7-5 teams.
Indiana has been tough at home (11-1) with the only loss to Northwestern. Bad on the road/neutral (5-6).
Illinois has Minnesota Tuesday so have to expect them to be 8-5 when they host Rutgers Saturday.

A streak like last year would probably put us second for the Big Ten tournie.
Even if we faulter this week would expect 4-4 to end the regular season. (20-11)
Eight teams in the battle for the 2 through 4 seeds. PARITY.
We’re 8-4

I had gotten over it but I’m now re-mad about it because we should only be one game back on Purdue in the loss column
Yeah and we beat them. If we finished with the same record we would win the conference.

Should be 9-3 if the refs didn’t blow the first OSU game
Some people downplayed that result in the long run. We would have had a 2 game lead on all of those teams log jammed at 7-5. This week coming up is rough for us with two road games. We split those and we would be still in sole possession of 2nd place.

Reactions: G- RUnit and Scangg
Some people downplayed that result in the long run. We would have had a 2 game lead on all of those teams log jammed at 7-5. This week coming up is rough for us with two road games. We split those and we would be still in sole possession of 2nd place.
On the plus side, looking ahead these next two are the last really tough stretch left on the schedule.

After that the only top half team we have left is Michigan and we play them at the RAC.

Reactions: shields
The B1G isn’t too timely or consistent with their updating of the standings on their website. This has been a pattern all season. Current view does not reflect yesterday’s RU - MSU game, but it does reflect today’s PSU - NEB game. Not only that, but they reflect the MI win but not the OSU loss from today. Really amateurish.

Parity is great, but until a B1G team makes a deep run in the dance it'll be same ol' same old.
I get what you’re saying, but from a fan perspective I’d rather have what we have now.

Seems like every conference game is a big game.

Just not a very top heavy conference right now.

Hadn’t been obsessing on OSU game. Until now as I stare at the standings. 9-3 and one loss out of first.
I placed a future bet on Rutgers to win the B1G this year.

$50 to win $850.

The second that OSU game ended I was mentally prepared for a 2nd place finish 1 game out of 1st place.

Reactions: Scangg and zebnatto
Parity is great, but until a B1G team makes a deep run in the dance it'll be same ol' same old.
I mean, in 2019 we had a team in the Final Four and two teams in the Elite Eight, with Purdue losing to Virginia in the most ridiculous play I've ever seen. It's only been TWO NCAA Tournaments we have underperformed and you could argue we really only crapped the bed in 2021 (which was an unmitigated disaster).

However, I do agree with you that 2023 will be big for the conference's image. You can have two "bad" Tournaments in a row, but three is a bit more of an obvious trend.

I mean, in 2019 we had a team in the Final Four and two teams in the Elite Eight, with Purdue losing to Virginia in the most ridiculous play I've ever seen. It's only been TWO NCAA Tournaments we have underperformed and you could argue we really only crapped the bed in 2021 (which was an unmitigated disaster).

However, I do agree with you that 2023 will be big for the conference's image. You can have two "bad" Tournaments in a row, but three is a bit more of an obvious trend.
Exactly. Major overreactions about one bad tournament

Exactly. Major overreactions about one bad tournament
Yeah, 2022 was not great mostly because of the specific games we lost, with Iowa being the only embarrassing First Round upset ... in other words, Wisconsin and especially Purdue were handed cakewalks to the Sweet Sixteen due to early upsets, and they both choked. However, everyone else played at their seed levels (and Michigan well above theirs), and at the end of the day it was this simple - we had ZERO #1 or #2 seeds, and we correspondingly did not place any teams in the Elite Eight or beyond; we had two teams in the Sweet Sixteen. Compare that to 2020-21...

#2 seed Ohio State loses to #15 seed Oral Roberts in teh First Round...
- #4 seed Purdue loses in the First Round to #13 North Texas in Indianapolis...
- #1 seed Illinois (who looked like the best team in the nation a few days earlier) loses in the Second Round to instate #8 seed Loyola...
- #2 seed Iowa loses by 15 in the Second Round to #7 seed Oregon

The only bright spots were #10 seed Rutgers winning two games and #1 seed Michigan at least making the Elite Eight. THAT year was truly a disaster, and people are pretty much still judging us as a league for this performance alone.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT