ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Tournament Mat Placements

JudgeSmails56

All Conference
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2019
Read online that the rac can’t fit 4 mats without eliminating some seats for the tournament. Any truth to this? I’m assuming it’s bs. I’d like to think we’d have this sort of thing planned out.

An NCCA basketball court is 94' long by 50' wide.

An NCAA wrestling mat is 42' by 42'.

Of course you can't fit four mats in there without eliminating seating. I posted in another thread, because someone asked about the layout, that sections 111 through 116 will be eliminated (pushed all the way back) and sections 101 through 106 will be pushed back eliminating the first two rows.

I received the above information (regarding the sections being eliminated) from the Rutgers ticket office, just last week. I wanted to know because the 200 level seats on the side with the pushed-in lower level can be a problem sometimes because you can't see the entire mat that is directly below you. Depending on how high your seats are, and the viewing angle, when the action gets closer to the edge nearest you, the wrestlers are out of line of sight.

It was the same way at Michigan State two years ago. All of their lower level seats were pushed all the way back.
0034663-muqs-1280x720.jpg

An NCCA basketball court is 94' long by 50' wide.

An NCAA wrestling mat is 42' by 42'.

Of course you can't fit four mats in there without eliminating seating. I posted in another thread, because someone asked about the layout, that sections 111 through 116 will be eliminated (pushed all the way back) and sections 101 through 106 will be pushed back eliminating the first two rows.

I received the above information (regarding the sections being eliminated) from the Rutgers ticket office, just last week. I wanted to know because the 200 level seats on the side with the pushed-in lower level can be a problem sometimes because you can't see the entire mat that is directly below you. Depending on how high your seats are, and the viewing angle, when the action gets closer to the edge nearest you, the wrestlers are out of line of sight.

It was the same way at Michigan State two years ago. All of their lower level seats were pushed all the way back.
0034663-muqs-1280x720.jpg

That's the plan for the tournament this year. I know the original plan was to push one side of the lower RAC in and hopefully creating enough room for the four mats.

Reactions: IowaFan1414
sections 111 through 116 will be eliminated (pushed all the way back) and sections 101 through 106 will be pushed back eliminating the first two rows.

I received the above information (regarding the sections being eliminated) from the Rutgers ticket office, just last week.

Read online that the rac can’t fit 4 mats without eliminating some seats for the tournament. Any truth to this? I’m assuming it’s bs. I’d like to think we’d have this sort of thing planned out.
It was planned out a long time ago and the ticket order page had seating chart links with the mats setup showing the rows pushed in, which is no different than many other places that hosted, including MSU and tOSU. The plans in the links showed 4 mats in a t on Sat and 3 mats across on Sun with a podium area. Here are those images from last September:

49610009287_20beb3ea09_k.jpg

49609758636_1541ecfec0_k.jpg

So, has the seating capacity been cut to approx. 6,200?
If so, a shame given the apparent growth in interest. Why not somewhere bigger.

So, has the seating capacity been cut to approx. 6,200?
If so, a shame given the apparent growth in interest. Why not somewhere bigger.
Nonsense. The only shame is the idiot PSU fan making up crap on Facebook and elsewhere that we didn't have this planned out many many months (or years) ago. Every school gets to host on campus, regardless of arena size, so asking to move it off campus is dumb. It'll seat more than 6,200. How many seats did Welsh Ryan have when Northwestern hosted in 2011? Around 7k or less? Did they push in rows to fit mats?

Reactions: koleszar
Nonsense. The only shame is the idiot PSU fan making up crap on Facebook and elsewhere that we didn't have this planned out many many months (or years) ago. Every school gets to host on campus, regardless of arena size, so asking to move it off campus is dumb. It'll seat more than 6,200. How many seats did Welsh Ryan have when Northwestern hosted in 2011? Around 7k or less? Did they push in rows to fit mats?
I'm glad you limited that to "fan."

Reactions: Leonard23
I'm glad you limited that to "fan."
Only saw 1 idiot so that's what I limited it to. I'll check back and see if there were more lol...update, a few more snarky fans in the comments but only the 1 guy spreading the fake news.

Last edited:
Section 304 row c, will score board block line of site? How low is it, hard to get perspective from above photo

Section 304 row c, will score board block line of site? How low is it, hard to get perspective from above photo

No problem with viewing. But wear light layers, it gets pretty warm up there. also if you have a bad back bring some type of bleacher seat, there is only Bleacher type sitting in the 300 level. And don’t drink too much beer, or you’ll be spending more time on long lines for the limited bathrooms then you will be watching the wrestling lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: N.W.Ohio Buck
ADVERTISEMENT