ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Wrestling Championships Pre-Seeds Announced

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
The Big Ten Conference announced the preliminary seeds for the 2015 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, which are set for March 7-8 at Ohio State. Six schools boast at least one top-seeded wrestler, with Iowa and Ohio State leading the way with three each. Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State will bring a seeded wrestler in each of the 10 weight classes, while Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers and Wisconsin each boast a seeded grappler in nine classes.

The pre-seeds, as voted on by the conference's coaches, rank the top eight wrestlers in two weight classes, along with all 14 starters in eight weight classes due to the Big Ten receiving eight or more NCAA Championships qualifier allocations in those classes.

Big Ten Wrestling Championships Pre-Seeds Announce

To view the full preliminary seeding breakdown, click here.

2015 Big Ten Wrestling Championships - Pre-Seeds (Rutgers)
125-pounds: Sean McCabe (15-8) - Unseeded
133 pounds: Scott DelVecchio (18-8) - No. 10
141 pounds: Anthony Ashnault (23-4) - No. 5
149 pounds: Ken Theobold (23-5) - No. 3 (tied)
157 pounds: Anthony Perrotti (18-6) - No. 7 (tied)
165 pounds: Nick Visicaro (4-8) - No. 11
174 pounds: Phil Bakuckas (19-11) - No. 11 (tied)
184 pounds: Anthony Pafumi (13-13) - No. 11
197 pounds: Hayden Hrymack (12-9) - No. 12
285 pounds: Billy Smith (14-6) - No. 8

PS- A guy on the Rivals Iowa wrestling site has a Big 10 toury pool going , pick the top 3 in each weight class, a limit on how many 1 & 2 seeds you can pick. I'm joining in, it's free, no money prizes , just to add some more fun to the Tourny. He said ok to pass this info along.

I looked for actual brackets, but haven't seen them anywhere yet.
Originally posted by Leonard23:
I hope Ashnault gets bumped out of the upper bracket to 6 seed but I doubt it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Brackets aren't out yet until seeds are finalized, but the 5 seed would be in the upper bracket with #1 Stieber & I'd prefer to avoid that to have a shot at Ashnault making the finals.

lol, of course . Brain lock. I think AP, Ash and Theo can open some eyes. Between the Big Ten Tourny and States in AC this weekend, I told my wife I'm gong to be very busy, lol. NJcom should be carrying the State finals on a free, live stream like they did last year. I got BTN plus for this Saturday (I need to cancell it Sat night , or they roll me over for another month, lol) and I'll watch live brackets and blogs for the states from Friday on. I'll have the TV/Laptop and IPad humming ! lol. If Njcom charged for the early rounds of states I'd buy that too !
Originally posted by Leonard23:
Brackets aren't out yet until seeds are finalized, but the 5 seed would be in the upper bracket with #1 Stieber & I'd prefer to avoid that to have a shot at Ashnault making the finals.

i dont know how theyre going to handle wrestlebacks for 9, 10, 11 and 12th place. out of 14? basically a round robin.

couple guys got hosed if these pre seeds hold. Shyheim Brown is seeded 12th, even though he earned one of the conferences 8 qualifying spots at 141. He'd also be a tough 1st round opponent for Ashnault if the seeds hold.

Bakuckas also got screwed tho maybe not quite as bad. earned 1 of 10 qualifying spots but seeded 12, behind Snook at 11, who Bakuckas beat at Maryland.

i tried figuring out how he could qualify. Bruson, Ill, 1st round. W and Storley, MN in the 1/8. L gets (likely) Proctor, MSU in conso pigtail. Another L and he's eliminated. but a win and he's into the Round of 12 already. Blood round! it'll probably be Martin, tOSU. A win and he qualifies. But a loss means there's now 4 guys with 2 losses still alive for qualifying spots 9 and 10. And at that point i have no idea what happens.

these will be brackets for the ages. my head hurts just thinking about them.

should be fun tho, lookin forward to the weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT