ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Wrestling - Day Two

josh1728

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2005
Start to Day two...a bunch of alums/boosters/supporters will have brunch at Blackwell Inn at 10:30am.
Back online in a few hours.

Today's scheduled matches for Rutgers:
133: DelVecchio versus Sabatello - Purdue (rematch of first round)
141: Ashnault vs Abidin - Nebraska
174: Bakuckas vs Snook - Maryland (both lost to Brunson ILL and Martin OSU yesterday)
184: Hrymack vs McCall - Wisconsin
285: Smith vs Jensen - Nebraska

So we have our work cut out for us.

Will AA's match be on the Big Ten Network or are they only covering the finals?

Way to represent guys ! Hope you all are having fun. Safe travels ! Go RU !

Originally posted by josh1728:
Today's scheduled matches for Rutgers:
133: DelVecchio versus Sabatello - Purdue (rematch of first round)
141: Ashnault vs Abidin - Nebraska
174: Bakuckas vs Snook - Maryland (both lost to Brunson ILL and Martin OSU yesterday)
184: Hrymack vs McCall - Wisconsin
285: Smith vs Jensen - Nebraska

So we have our work cut out for us.
Isn't Hrymack/McCall at 197?

Based on seeds, we should win two of these matches.

McCall medical forfeited his last match. He had come up lame in the previous match and went from being up 5-2 to losing 6-5.
Have to see if he is ready to go today.

Ashnault is a better technical wrestler but Abiden is a better scrambler. I can see why Ash beat him in freestyle bc he is much better on his feet then Abiden but once they get to the Mat Abiden is much better. He has to avoid the scrambles to beat him. He needs clean takedowns to win. Harder said then done but only way he wins.

If Ash can work on finishing his shots he will be even more dangerous going forward. He was in deep on 4 shots got 1 TD, gave up 1 TD, and had 2 stalemates. Really look forward to watching him for the next 3 years. Sky is the limit for him.

5-2 (1 riding point awarded)

1st: TD ALB 2-0
2nd Alb chooses down Escape Alb 3-0
3rd Ashnault chooses neutral, TD Ash 3-2, Escape Alb 4-2

Riding time: 5-2

Even 1st one Abidben got take down off scramble that Ash got in deep on but then Abidben did his funk.

Who did Perrotti wrestle? Delvecchio was 9th as he pinned Sabatello and Backukas beat Snook 11-1.

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
Who did Perrotti wrestle? Delvecchio was 9th as he pinned Sabatello and Backukas beat Snook 11-1.
fellow Essex County wrestler Lou Mascola from Maryland. solid victory.

Smith beats Jensen who beat smith in January
Delvechhio beats sabatello who beat him in round one
Hrymack (yes you know it was 197) gets forfeit over McCall
Bakuckas finishes strong with major win

Time for Ashnault!!!

Originally posted by josh1728:
Smith beats Jensen who beat smith in January
Delvechhio beats sabatello who beat him in round one
Hrymack (yes you know it was 197) gets forfeit over McCall
Bakuckas finishes strong with major win

Time for Ashnault!!!
those are good finishes + Ashnault won(3-2) to finish 5th-right on his seed

NJ States: starting at 152

152 Tavoso beats Glasgow dec OT
160 Mcfadden beats Ruggiero dec

Well..definitely coulda been better results...but first year in I feel the guys competed extremely hard!!! 4 automatics and good shot at 2 wildcards!!! I think 2007 we only got 1 qualifier wrestling in EIWA....still a ways to go, but a good start!!! Now let's put a couple on the podium in 2 weeks

AP lost his matches in tiebreakers. Scott should have won his first match, but made up for it later. Theo got hurt. Other than that, what different results were expected? Do you think Smith should have beaten Myers (I think he's lost to him a couple of times now)? Were you expecting some of the other wrestlers to wrestle closer matches or pull an upset like Hayden?

Just curious.

Originally posted by jerzey devil:
Well..definitely coulda been better results...but first year in I feel the guys competed extremely hard!!! 4 automatics and good shot at 2 wildcards!!! I think 2007 we only got 1 qualifier wrestling in EIWA....still a ways to go, but a good start!!! Now let's put a couple on the podium in 2 weeks
If you can have Ash outwrestle his ranking and AA, I think that is a really big deal for your program. Worst thing that could happen would be to fall on his face.

Phila....I wasn't disappointed by the teams performance...not trying to be critical as i think the team competed very hard!! just saying how u always wanna do better...we had a lot of close matches yesterday that didn't go our way....and if we pulled out a couple of those ... that's all I'm saying...

I would be very happy with an AA (That would make 2 years in a row and sets the tone for a trend to continue)
Rutgers had a few wrestlers make the final 12 in the NCAA but until AP broke though last year, no AA during goodale's reign.
I think there are 6 wrestlers in the Big 10 who could make AA at 141. Hopefully AA does not get a 8 or 9 seed in the NCAA (a 6 or 7 seed would be great).
Dweiza (who Ashnault beat) made it to the finals in the Big10)
Can't think of any "Bad" losses that Ash had all year
2 steiber
2 albidin
1 dardanes

Hopefully it alligns with a good seed in the tourney

Originally posted by R U Crazy:
I would be very happy with an AA (That would make 2 years in a row and sets the tone for a trend to continue)
Rutgers had a few wrestlers make the final 12 in the NCAA but until AP broke though last year, no AA during goodale's reign.
I think there are 6 wrestlers in the Big 10 who could make AA at 141. Hopefully AA does not get a 8 or 9 seed in the NCAA (a 6 or 7 seed would be great).
Dweiza (who Ashnault beat) made it to the finals in the Big10)
2 steiber
2 albidin
1 dardanes

I believe he is currently #9 at his weight class and doubtful that will change as he wrestled to his B1G seeding.

2 steiber
2 albidin
1 dardanes

Not that I disagree with the great year that Ash had, but I'd put his one "loss I wish we could get back" as the loss to Rodrigues from ILL, who pretty much got his butt kicked in this tourney (pinned by 5-11 Thielke from WIS, Abidin from NEB, and Fisher from MICH).

I'm really surprised at how well Dwieza did, beating Abidin 3-1 and Dardanes 5-1. (Interestingly enough, Rodrigues beat him too earlier this year, plus the obvious Stieber, Dardanes, and Mayes from Missouri.) That's some pretty impressive wrestling, and you know he gave it his all because that finals match wasn't all that good for him, haha. Remember, Dwieza was seconds away from beating Ash, so he's rank-worthy of his #2 finish in the B1G. I just wasn't a big fan of Dwieza's style in any of the matches I watched of his this year.

This post was edited on 3/8 9:29 PM by PhilaPhans

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:

2 steiber
2 albidin
1 dardanes

Not that I disagree with the great year that Ash had, but I'd put his one "loss I wish we could get back" as the loss to Rodrigues from ILL, who pretty much got his butt kicked in this tourney (pinned by 5-11 Thielke from WIS and Abidin from NEB).

I'm really surprised at how well Dwieza did, beating Abidin 3-1 and Dardanes 5-1. (Interestingly enough, Rodrigues beat him too earlier this year, plus the obvious Stieber, Dardanes, and Mayes from Missouri.) That's some pretty impressive wrestling, and you know he gave it his all because that finals match wasn't all that good for him, haha. Remember, Dwieza was seconds away from beating Ash, so he's rank-worthy of his #2 finish in the B1G. I just wasn't a big fan of Dwieza's style in any of the matches I watched of his this year.
Dziewa wrestled out of his mind this tourney. Not one person unrelated to him could tell you they saw that coming. Dziewa's style is very similar to a lot of Iowa wrestlers - boring. Fact I stole from the Iowa board...they had one TD in 8 finals matches and it was by their HW. In addition, Evans placed 3rd and didn't score a TD the entire tourney. Let that sink in a while.

Originally posted by Sir ScarletKnight:
I wonder what the odds of having two AAs in a single match. Anthony Ashnault and Anthony Abididn.

2-0 Abidin atm.
You may see it if Anthony Abro from Eastern Michigan (197 lbs) and Abe Ayala from Princeton (197 lbs) had to wrestle each other.

ADVERTISEMENT