ADVERTISEMENT

BIG Track is no joke, finals today

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
As expected, the BIG track is very competitive, but RU is getting schooled in this weekends championships. I thought we would be able to qualify more than 1-2 for todays finals. It looks like the men scored 1 point in the long jump (Corey Crawford has been injured for most of the year) and only qualified 1 for today's finals. The women are not doing much better, they scored 8 points (2nd place) in the long jump and qualified 1 for todays finals.

The men have a long way to go before we are fully funded and have competed well in past years considering the scholarship levels, but the women have been fully funded for some time. They are getting better each year, but have a ways to go.

This post was edited on 2/28 7:43 AM by newell138

Friday's results

I cannot find the event that the men qualified for the final. The most disappointing aspect is no one was really close to qualifying
for the finals. In today's events, I think there are only 2 events where the men have a shot at scoring. Joseph Velez who shattered the school record in the 35 lb weight throw several weeks ago has the 9th best performance in the Big ten this season (8 scoring) and the 4x400 relay has the 6th best time this season.
Crawford's season or lack there of is a major disappointment. After just missing the NCAA indoor title last year, ( the winner beat him on his last attempt ) Crawford struggled in the late spring season with some heath issues. After the NCAA result last March, it looked like he would have 3 shots at a championship. That appears to be down to one.

On the women's side, all the the positive results came from one athlete. Gabrielle Farquharson finished second in the LJ
and qualified for the finals in the 60 and the 200 meter dashes.

I think when I was there we had 7 or 8 full scholarships to divide up amongst the team. Not sure what they have now or what the maximum is.

Originally posted by applesktrack:
I think when I was there we had 7 or 8 full scholarships to divide up amongst the team. Not sure what they have now or what the maximum is.
Men 12.6
Women 18

Apple, what years were you there? I walked on in 1986, and I don't think we had even that way back then, although I do recall it improving a few years later.

In the 1970 Millrose Games,Tom Ulan led the world record holder in the 600,Martin Mc Grady,every step of the race -until the last one.

Gabrielle Farquharson  (South Jersey BTW) killed it! Great young lady.
Not sure about the men's side but the women have a nice recruiting class coming in next year.

Originally posted by MEERU92:
Gabrielle Farquharson (South Jersey BTW) killed it! Great young lady.
Not sure about the men's side but the women have a nice recruiting class coming in next year.
Agreed, I was just checking out the womens 2015 class and it does look pretty good.

Thats a pretty historic win for Gabrielle, being Rutgers first ever BIG champion!

ADVERTISEMENT