ADVERTISEMENT

BigTen Tournament As Of:

Feb 21:

84016403_10157537833104022_3004787376871440384_o.jpg

We can beat both OSU and Maryland on a neutral court. I want OSU. We can beat them. Just not a 1st four.

First -- long time lurker, first post. Good RU info here so I'm happy to be a part of the conversation.

Now, quick (maybe dumb?) question. Would it actually be beneficial for us to be playing in the first 4 game on Wednesday IF we're going to lose our last three regular season games? My thought is that we'd have a chance at an easier(?) win to put on our resume, as opposed to going right into the 8/9 say with OSU.

Would the committee rather see us 1-1 in the B1G tournament with a win over NW, say, and a loss to OSU? Or have us finish the regular season at 9 in the conference and then lose to OSU, if that were to happen?

Reactions: DirtyRU
I guess there is a scenerio if RU wins both and PSU loses both and OSU loses both and Michigan does no better than a split that RU can finish as high as 6th

not a great scenario for RU since Mich beat us twice. Even if sneak by Mich MD is better than us on paper

I guess there is a scenerio if RU wins both and PSU loses both and OSU loses both and Michigan does no better than a split that RU can finish as high as 6th
Although unlikely, Penn State hosts Michigan State and goes to Northwestern , Ohio State hosts Illinois and goes to Michigan State on Senior Day, and Michigan ends the year at Maryland. We have to hold up our end of the bargain to give the scenario a chance. I am still pissed off we lost to Michigan twice , as things occurred in both games that were unusual. Would not mind playing them again.

Michigan and Ohio St both scare me. They have talent that is better than there record. Both can go on a 4-5 game run.
Agreed . Michigan with Livers healthy will be a tough out. And I like Ohio State to win it all. They are a well balanced offense , very physical and really tough on defense . The Big Ten is a beast this year. Getting a double bye is a big plus for any team.

Think we have a better chance at being 7 and playing Indiana or Purdue as a 10 seed. We beat Purdue, Michigan beats Nebraska and looses to Maryland, and Ohio State looses to both Illinois and Michigan St.

If we lose next game and are tied with Purdue at 10-10 and meaning we split with them who gets higher seed

Indiana looks to be headed for either the 11 or 12 seed. Best they can do is 10-10 if they win out. That would keep them ahead of Minnesota. But they lost 2x to Purdue, lost only game to us, and lost their only game to Michigan. Can't see them winning any tiebreakers. They split with Ohio State. I think they only avoid it if they win out (home vs. Minnesota and Wisconsin) while either Michigan loses out (Nebraska, at Maryland) or we beat Purdue. Looks like we clinched the first round bye tonight.

Purdue also lost 2x to Michigan. They beat the Spartans and we beat the Terps. What if we lose to Purdue and MSU wins the 1st seed? Does it bump us behind them?

Seeding is so tight still.

Reactions: RutgHoops
If we lose next game and are tied with Purdue at 10-10 and meaning we split with them who gets higher seed
might go to a grouping of common opponents.. you find the common opponents between us and purdue and check the records... since we are in the same conference I wont do the work but that's probably how it is decided.

"A. Two-team tie:
1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season.

2. Each team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings (or in the case of a tie for the championship, the next highest position in the regular-season standings), continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage."

Purdue lost to Maryland but beat MSU. So if MSU wins and Maryland loses Purdue wins tiebreaker. If Maryland wins and MSU loses we win the tiebreak. If MSU and Maryland finish tied for first: We are 1-1 versus both Illinois and Wisconsin (tied for third), Purdue 0-2 versus Illinois and 1-1 versus Wisconsin.

I believe that is correct.

https://bigten.org/news/2019/9/12/2020-mens-basketball-tournament-tiebreaker-procedures.aspx

https://bigten.org/news/2019/9/12/2020-mens-basketball-tournament-tiebreaker-procedures.aspx

No need to guess.

1st tiebreaker is head to head winning percentage among teams tied in the standings. Doesn't matter if teams in the group played an uneven number of games. This is why I think Indiana is screwed in most possible ties: swept by us, Michigan, and Purdue.

Next you move on to winning percentage against teams at the top of the standings. In the event of a tie for 1st (pretend Terps and Spartans are alone in 1st), we are 1-2 in that stat. Purdue is 1-1 (lucked into only playing each of them once, and beat the Spartans).
If Illinois makes it a three way tie, we go to 2-3 and Purdue drops to 1-3 (swept by Illinois) so we would have the edge in a two way tie with Purdue if there is that three way tie for 1st.

Wisconsin could get in the mix too...

Clinching that bye is huge. Don’t have to deal with the nightmare scenario of losing to Purdue and then playing for tourney lives against Nebraska or NW with a loss likely eliminating RU from contention.

Looking.like we are playing at noon on day 2 if we beat Purdue. 6:30 if we lose

need to find the Purdue tiebreakers with Ohio State and Michigan. If RU loses to Purdue, could there actually be a scenerio of a 4 way tie at 10-10...could RU get Purdue again in the 7-10 game?

No...Purdue is 0-3 vs those schools so it would be between RU and Purdue for 9/10...I guess Indiana can factor in at 10-10 too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT