ADVERTISEMENT

BigTen's Pending Cancelation of Football

My thoughts are, the B1G met and decided what they wanted to do.
But the B1G and every p-5 conference will put up a united front.
So each conference will meet to decide what they want to do and then the commissioners of the p-5s will talk it over and make the decision that will be binding on every p-5 school.

This is absurd . I predicted no fall sports . They just released a schedule Wednesday though. What’s changed since then ? They look like morons doing that and now cancelling

Like any true football fan, I got my fingers crossed that the season will be played this year.

Unfortunately, it seems clear to me the decision by the MAC Conference to not play this year has increased pressure on the other conferences to follow suit.

Despite how infinitesimally unlikely it would be, I have to assume the Conference Presidents are thinking "what if a player gets Covid-19 and -- God forbid -- dies from it?". Most linemen, albeit young, are also technically obese with many well over 300 lbs. So it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

It would be a public relations disaster for the Conference if that were to happen. There'd be no end to the criticism for how they "sacrificed a life for the all-mighty dollar" -- regardless of whether or not it could be proven they contacted the virus from playing football. They might also be concerned about law suits regardless of how many "waivers" players are required to sign.

Last edited:
Like any true football fan, I got my fingers crossed that the season will be played this year.

Unfortunately, it seems clear to me the decision by the MAC Conference to not play this year has increased pressure on the other conferences to follow suit.

Despite how infinitesimal unlikely it would be, I have to assume the Conference Presidents are thinking "what if a player gets Covid-19 and -- God forbid -- dies from it?". Most linemen, albeit young, are also technically obese with many well over 300 lbs. So it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

It would be a public relations disaster for the Conference if that were to happen. There'd be no end to the criticism for how they "sacrificed a life for the all-mighty dollar" -- regardless of whether or not it could be proven they contacted the virus from playing football. They might also be concerned about law suits regardless of how many "waivers" players are required to sign.

I don't think the only concerns are the players. More likely that a coach (or coaches) would contract the virus and develop serious complications that they could not overcome. Not all coaches and staff are portraits of good health. As noted above, I think the B1G is prepared to shut it down for the fall but will wait a little longer for the other conferences to reach the same conclusion before taking unilateral action.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
It’s a shame they can’t at least play some scrimmages. The kids are locked into leases and will be on campus anyway except they won’t have a season to help keep them out of trouble.

Wasnt there a couple reports over the weekend of pro players coming down with heart disease connected to covid?

Not sure about this weekend but Eduardo Rodriguez of the red Sox was shut down for the year due to heart complications from the virus (that they expect to be resolved by next year)

Reactions: Greg2020
Spring Football here we come.

I hope not. Cancel the season rather than postpone it. A spring season (even starting in February) wouldn't end until the end of May / beginning of June. That gives you roughly 2 months off and then begin training for the fall season. It would be much better for the health of the players to play in the fall and risk COVID-19 infections than the physical abuse of playing a season in both the spring and fall.

I don't see that happening either, kinda tough to ask football players to play full contact football without much of a break for almost a year straight, I know if I was a player's parent I would be pretty nervous about the impact it might have on my kid.

They already do that, it’s called Spring ball.

I don't see that happening either, kinda tough to ask football players to play full contact football without much of a break for almost a year straight, I know if I was a player's parent I would be pretty nervous about the impact it might have on my kid.
Spring 2021 football means that the Fall 2021 season will get pushed back as well (one or two months).

Listening to the Thamel, Forte & Wetzel podcast and here's the takeaway.:

1) Saturday the BiG ADs & Presidents discussed the cancellation of the season. Vast majority is was in favor. They reconvened last night to confirm they will cancel fall sports.

2) BiG Commissioner is reaching out to other P5 commissioners to see if they will cancel their fall sports.

3) Thinking that Pac 12 will soon follow and that other P5 dominoes will fall by end of the week.

I think that NCAA needs to give players, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, some real information od decisions for:
-an extra year of scholarships
-eligibility for an extra season
-possibility of Spring 2021 football

Last edited:
No conference or school will want to be the one that still played and had players, coaches, and/or staff get sick, or contributed to the spread in the community.
This was inevitable.

They already do that, it’s called Spring ball.

No they don't. Spring ball is a month of practice culminating in a scrimmage where there is no QB sacks / contact. It does not compare to an actual season.

Despite how infinitesimal unlikely it would be, I have to assume the Conference Presidents are thinking "what if a player gets Covid-19 and -- God forbid -- dies from it?". Most linemen, albeit young, are also technically obese with many well over 300 lbs. So it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

This is 100% the reason why there won't be college football. It's all LEGAL and the players are unpaid students, not professional athletes with unions. I'm in the party of lets get back to playing sports, but I am sure the legals teams of these massive $$ making programs are advising that the potential legal/health/program crushing effects of opening this up far outweigh the short-term cost implications of playing in the Fall.

No they don't. Spring ball is a month of practice culminating in a scrimmage where there is no QB sacks / contact. It does not compare to an actual season.

Well no crap it’s not the same, but it’s close and could easily transition into a 8-10 game season.

Reactions: Greg2020
Spring Football here we come.
Hopefully. But, this situation is not anywhere near where one would think it would be at this stage. With a lot of the country just ignoring the virus with parties, etc., how can we ever hope to get a handle on it.
Looks like we really need a potent vaccine to show up.

Well no crap it’s not the same, but it’s close and could easily transition into a 8-10 game season.
How is playing 10 full contact games close to spring practice and ONE game? This doesn't make sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT