ADVERTISEMENT

Blackout Game Official

...and half the crowed, definitely NOT limited to but particularly 1000's of Nebraska fans, will be in RED. So stupid (but, yes, I'll wear black....).

they will be selling special blackout shirts for the game. White outline of a helmet with a white Block R inside of it.

It will backfire. A Nebraska tradition is the nickname for the Nebraska defensive unit — the Nebraska Blackshirts. It will provide motivation for Nebraska.

Reactions: Rutgers56
Everyone saying it's a stupid fad needs to get with the times.. the players love it. The next generation of fans love it. If you want to pass down the gift of Rutgers football to younger generations you have to make it excited.

Even traditional powers like Ohio St and Texas have black alternate jerseys....

they will be selling special blackout shirts for the game. White outline of a helmet with a white Block R inside of it.
They should put on EVERY seat not in the Nebraska allotment; THAT is how you do a "BLACKOUT" the right way!

Reactions: koleszar
Everyone saying it's a stupid fad needs to get with the times.. the players love it. The next generation of fans love it. If you want to pass down the gift of Rutgers football to younger generations you have to make it excited.

Fine by me.

Black on the field surrounded by 50K people in red sounds pretty good.

Red, black, blue - I just want to beat these guys. We always seem to play like crap against them.
Last time at SHI, RU lost 28-21 in 2020. Wonder if a home "crowd" could have made a difference. Rutgers lost the game when Nebraska scored late in 3rd quarter and in the 4th quarter:

fourth QuarterNEBRUTG
third QuarterNEBRUTG
second QuarterNEBRUTG
first QuarterNEBRUTG
i
FG
8:55
Valentino Ambrosio 36 Yd Field Goal
5 plays, 55 yards, 1:44
i
FG
13:20
Valentino Ambrosio 42 Yd Field Goal
7 plays, 23 yards, 2:52
i
TD
10:07
Wan'Dale Robinson 1 Yd Run (Connor Culp Kick)
9 plays, 75 yards, 3:13
i
TD
3:19
Isaih Pacheco 33 Yd Run (Artur Sitkowski Pass to Bo Melton for Two-Point Conversion)
7 plays, 80 yards, 2:12
i
TD
9:06
Adrian Martinez 41 Yd Run (Connor Culp Kick)
8 plays, 90 yards, 3:56
i
TD
8:53
Aron Cruickshank 98 Yd Kickoff Return (Valentino Ambrosio Kick)
0 plays, 0 yards, 0:13
i
TD
0:43
Wan'Dale Robinson 14 Yd pass from Adrian Martinez (Connor Culp Kick)
11 plays, 96 yards, 5:09
i
TD
9:55
Adrian Martinez 1 Yd Run (Connor Culp Kick)
9 plays, 92 yards, 4:07

Also, surprised they are playing RU at SHI again, and the game is not at Nebraska?

The next generation of fans love it. If you want to pass down the gift of Rutgers football to younger generations you have to make it excited.

Ummmmm........improving the fan experience and eliminating all of the hassles would go a long way towards accomplishing that.

I agreed with Whitebus' post but it wasn't because I don't think it shouldn't be done at all, it is just that Rutgers specifically can never pull it off right. Nuts hit the nail on the head when he talked about 1/2 of the crowd wearing red. The student section always looks good for these game, but the rest of the crowd not so much.

"The players love it..." people still keep using that same quote from 2013. They also said they liked the salmon unis too. So much for their opinion.
Plus you added the next generation loves it. Nice touch. Did you do a poll on it. Haven't seen that one before

I just don’t like these unless the atmosphere is good. I don’t think we’re there quite yet (a couple more years).

Also, stop being cheap - black shirts should be on each seat. Or at the very least given to season ticket holders.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I just don’t like these unless the atmosphere is good. I don’t think we’re there quite yet (a couple more years).

Also, stop being cheap - black shirts should be on each seat. Or at the very least given to season ticket holders.
Again, you can probably have 50,000 black shirts made up for $5 apiece. That’s $250,000. Really shouldn’t be an issue. Buy them and put them on each seat. Please close.

Reactions: rurichdog
Again, you can probably have 50,000 black shirts made up for $5 apiece. That’s $250,000. Really shouldn’t be an issue. Buy them and put them on each seat. Please close.
Marketing is ALWAYS the first budget to get cut. We have people too cheap to donate to RFund or KTR & they want handouts. Good luck getting this done.

Shirt size prevents that from happening. But set up tables outside before the game. Scan your ticket and get a free shirt in your size. Not hard. Will never happen

Reactions: ldwnmas
Louisville game for the BCS spot... how did wearing black go that day?
That was so 2013! We were rocking a year later!!!

You're a Southside Johnny fan right? Reminds me of the verse from the song Paris:

"We live in shadows that our dreams have cast
Memory and desire can only bring pain"

That was so 2013! We were rocking a year later!!!

You're a Southside Johnny fan right? Reminds me of the verse from the song Paris:

"We live in shadows that our dreams have cast
Memory and desire can only bring pain"
2012. 2013 was our wonderful year in the AAC..

2012. 2013 was our wonderful year in the AAC..
I stand corrected. We were B1G Time in 2014. 2013 was the year some were certain Flood was getting fired after the USF game, which Rutgers won. Oh the memories from that era. But as bad as some of those games were, they pale in comparison to what Ash put us through. Once a Floodie, always a Floodie!!!

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
Shirt size prevents that from happening. But set up tables outside before the game. Scan your ticket and get a free shirt in your size. Not hard. Will never happen
It's done all over the nation at football and basketball games. You just swap with someone nearby. Easy-peasy.

Reactions: WhiteBus
1) Something can’t be a fad if it’s been around for years across the country in sports and isn’t going away

2) The blackout game at the RAC this winter vs. Illinois was electric and was one the best atmospheres in that building, and that’s saying a lot. And yes the blackout promo had something to do with it

3) Rutgers football just isn’t there yet in terms of pulling stuff like this off. We need a full stadium for it to be cool, otherwise it’s usually a failure.

Has anyone done that around here? Because I can see that working in places where people are generally nicer to each other, but leaving free shirts on every seat here I think is just asking for people to grab extras and stuff them in their pockets etc, especially because at least in the corner by the student section not everyone sits in their ticketed seat, and then when you walk in and there's no shirt on your seat, you have no choice but to grab from someone else's seat. Eventually people enter the stadium and don't get their free shirt. Setting up tables by the entrances where you can choose your size is a better idea, although it might make what is often already a painfully slow entry even worse.

Reactions: MrsScrew
1) Something can’t be a fad if it’s been around for years across the country in sports and isn’t going away

2) The blackout game at the RAC this winter vs. Illinois was electric and was one the best atmospheres in that building, and that’s saying a lot. And yes the blackout promo had something to do with it

3) Rutgers football just isn’t there yet in terms of pulling stuff like this off. We need a full stadium for it to be cool, otherwise it’s usually a failure.
It was electric because the basketball team won against 3 ranked teams going into the game and that big win made it 4 in a row. The shirts had something to do with it?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Stop it.

ADVERTISEMENT