ADVERTISEMENT

Blackout Game Official

Were you there?
No didn't have to be. To say it was electric because of the shirts is hysterical. We were a national story not because of the shirts but we were shocking the nation by beating ranked teams one after another. I watched from home and wore red. It was very exciting. My red shirt beat all the black negativity. 🤣🤣🤣

Has anyone done that around here? Because I can see that working in places where people are generally nicer to each other, but leaving free shirts on every seat here I think is just asking for people to grab extras and stuff them in their pockets etc, especially because at least in the corner by the student section not everyone sits in their ticketed seat, and then when you walk in and there's no shirt on your seat, you have no choice but to grab from someone else's seat. Eventually people enter the stadium and don't get their free shirt. Setting up tables by the entrances where you can choose your size is a better idea, although it might make what is often already a painfully slow entry even worse.
And that's why RU would be losing 28-0 by the time people finally got to their seats, according to some people.

Of Nebraska is doing well, their fans may outnumber RU fans…that fan base just travels!

No didn't have to be. To say it was electric because of the shirts is hysterical. We were a national story not because of the shirts but we were shocking the nation by beating ranked teams one after another. I watched from home and wore red. It was very exciting. My red shirt beat all the black negativity. 🤣🤣🤣

Okay didn’t think so - your thoughts on the atmosphere in that basketball game are meaningless then, thanks.

Also can you read? I never said the shirts were the only reason it was electric. I said they had something to do with it. Of course it was also because we were turning the season around - I’m not that dumb.

I said Rutgers Football isn’t ready for promos like this.

You should stop disagreeing with people all the time and actually read what they wrote once in awhile.

Your point about this being a fad is pretty stupid - like I said fads go away. It’s okay if you don’t like it.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
Okay didn’t think so - your thoughts on the atmosphere in that basketball game are meaningless then, thanks.

Also can you read? I never said the shirts were the only reason it was electric. I said they had something to do with it. Of course it was also because we were turning the season around - I’m not that dumb.

I said Rutgers Football isn’t ready for promos like this.

You should stop disagreeing with people all the time and actually read what they wrote once in awhile.

Your point about this being a fad is pretty stupid - like I said fads go away. It’s okay if you don’t like it.
I did read what your post. A lot of laughter. Are you putting it above the Purdue game? No black shirts that day. So it was the black shirts that made the Illinois game extra special not the winning streak against ranked teams. Maybe you just like wearing black but the streak was a much bigger part of the excitement, trust me and every news outlet in the country.

I did read what your post. A lot of laughter. Are you putting it above the Purdue game? No black shirts that day. So it was the black shirts that made the Illinois game extra special not the winning streak against ranked teams. Maybe you just like wearing black but the streak was a much bigger part of the excitement, trust me and every news outlet in the country.

You’re trying to compare the Illinois game to a game where we beat the #1 team in the country on a half court buzzer beater lol.

Get off my lawn grandpa - sorry blackout games aren’t a fad and aren’t going away anytime soon.

Well I guess all of you bitching about the blackout game promo is better than you bitching about the fact that the game is a Friday night in October.
Just take the effing day off or request a half day and wear a black shirt.
That will be a separate thread, my dear. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: MrsScrew
We need to stop doing these things. Jersey people are horrible at it. I don't think they like being told what to wear.

So they wear the opposite.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Last time at SHI, RU lost 28-21 in 2020. Wonder if a home "crowd" could have made a difference. Rutgers lost the game when Nebraska scored late in 3rd quarter and in the 4th quarter:

fourth QuarterNEBRUTG
third QuarterNEBRUTG
second QuarterNEBRUTG
first QuarterNEBRUTG
i
FG
8:55
Valentino Ambrosio 36 Yd Field Goal
5 plays, 55 yards, 1:44
i
FG
13:20
Valentino Ambrosio 42 Yd Field Goal
7 plays, 23 yards, 2:52
i
TD
10:07
Wan'Dale Robinson 1 Yd Run (Connor Culp Kick)
9 plays, 75 yards, 3:13
i
TD
3:19
Isaih Pacheco 33 Yd Run (Artur Sitkowski Pass to Bo Melton for Two-Point Conversion)
7 plays, 80 yards, 2:12
i
TD
9:06
Adrian Martinez 41 Yd Run (Connor Culp Kick)
8 plays, 90 yards, 3:56
i
TD
8:53
Aron Cruickshank 98 Yd Kickoff Return (Valentino Ambrosio Kick)
0 plays, 0 yards, 0:13
i
TD
0:43
Wan'Dale Robinson 14 Yd pass from Adrian Martinez (Connor Culp Kick)
11 plays, 96 yards, 5:09
i
TD
9:55
Adrian Martinez 1 Yd Run (Connor Culp Kick)
9 plays, 92 yards, 4:07

Also, surprised they are playing RU at SHI again, and the game is not at Nebraska?

Wow, I really thought we lost this game by more than just 7 . But there it is 28-21.
I remember us getting pushed around and kinda dominated a bit there . The special teams touchdown from cruickshank made the game appear closer. If I remember this game correctly

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
So many crybabies and get off my lawn types here. We were 1 of the first to start wearing black as an alternate uni and should continue to do so once a year. It's great and not a fad. Many fans, players, and recruits love the black unis, so why is it a problem for you? Get over it already.

I'm glad Rutgers announced the blackout early, so everyone is aware and prepared, but Rutgers could've done a better job marketing this and building hype with new black unis and helmets teased with a later announcement, like we used to. Plus, our current black helmet isn't as good as the past matte black versions with red Block R or metallic decals (or the silver version).

So many crybabies and get off my lawn types here. We were 1 of the first to start wearing black as an alternate uni and should continue to do so once a year. It's great and not a fad. Many fans, players, and recruits love the black unis, so why is it a problem for you? Get over it already.

I'm glad Rutgers announced the blackout early, so everyone is aware and prepared, but Rutgers could've done a better job marketing this and building hype with new black unis and helmets teased with a later announcement, like we used to. Plus, our current black helmet isn't as good as the past matte black versions with red Block R or metallic decals (or the silver version).

How do you know there is not new uniforms/helmets that will be hyped later in the year as October 7 draws closer?

If no one has noticed, marketing has been releasing something new about football every Tuesday.

Wow, I really thought we lost this game by more than just 7 . But there it is 28-21.
I remember us getting pushed around and kinda dominated a bit there . The special teams touchdown from cruickshank made the game appear closer. If I remember this game correctly
Exactly! I never felt we were winning that game. After the first couple of series we couldn’t do much.

How do you know there is not new uniforms/helmets that will be hyped later in the year as October 7 draws closer?

If no one has noticed, marketing has been releasing something new about football every Tuesday.
I don't know for sure, but they used the existing black helmet in the announcement and on the shirt. Would be silly to have the current helmet on the shirt and breakout a new one closer but I'd welcome it. A better tease would have been a glimpse of the new in the announcement with a stay tuned message 🤷🏻‍♂️

You’re trying to compare the Illinois game to a game where we beat the #1 team in the country on a half court buzzer beater lol.

Get off my lawn grandpa - sorry blackout games aren’t a fad and aren’t going away anytime soon.
No you were trying to compare it saying it was one of the most exciting games of the year.
News alert, all the games beating a ranked opponents were exciting yet you credit a black shirt. What color was your underwear? Maybe that had something to do with your excited feelings.

Again, you can probably have 50,000 black shirts made up for $5 apiece. That’s $250,000. Really shouldn’t be an issue. Buy them and put them on each seat. Please close.
It's being promoted 3 MONTHS in advance. Everyone has a black shirt. Half the Rutgers shirts sold are black. No need for RU to waste a 1/4 million to give away shirts. Everyone should buy a cool BLACK FRIDAY shirt at a place like SCARLET FEVER and get exited about the game. Personally, love the blackouts when done at night. GO RU

1) Something can’t be a fad if it’s been around for years across the country in sports and isn’t going away

2) The blackout game at the RAC this winter vs. Illinois was electric and was one the best atmospheres in that building, and that’s saying a lot. And yes the blackout promo had something to do with it

3) Rutgers football just isn’t there yet in terms of pulling stuff like this off. We need a full stadium for it to be cool, otherwise it’s usually a failure.

If the fans or the team need a black shirt to provide an electric atmosphere then they need to re-examine what they are doing…

It's being promoted 3 MONTHS in advance. Everyone has a black shirt. Half the Rutgers shirts sold are black. No need for RU to waste a 1/4 million to give away shirts. Everyone should buy a cool BLACK FRIDAY shirt at a place like SCARLET FEVER and get exited about the game. Personally, love the blackouts when done at night. GO RU
^^^^I LOVE THIS GUY^^^^

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
No you were trying to compare it saying it was one of the most exciting games of the year.
News alert, all the games beating a ranked opponents were exciting yet you credit a black shirt. What color was your underwear? Maybe that had something to do with your excited feelings.

I said it had something to do with the electric atmosphere…I never said it was the ONLY reason for it.

You really should work in your reading comprehension.

And you have no idea what the atmosphere was actually like because you were sitting home with your hands down your pants.

Well I guess all of you bitching about the blackout game promo is better than you bitching about the fact that the game is a Friday night in October.

Wait..........................................can we bitch about both?

• Haha
Reactions: MrsScrew
I blame you, @Plum Street and all the other Rutgers fans who did not wear black shirts at home for the home blackout game!!! Had you guys gotten with the plan, it would have been a much better game for Rutgers.
Fans weren’t allowed in. It was truly a blackout game in the dark of night.

We need to stop doing these things. Jersey people are horrible at it. I don't think they like being told what to wear.

Agreed. My father when he still went to the games hated these kind of promotions and would make sure he did the opposite. I can put up with them if we have a winning team, but it is just kind of feels lame to have a gimmick game for a bottom feeding team.

Reactions: Rutgers56

It was a sight to see when the expanded stadium was packed in RED a few times. Then Fudd-Ass Era hit and now it’s like the LBGTQRSUV flag at our games.

* nothing wrong with the flag it’s just a joke; RELAX

It was a sight to see when the expanded stadium was packed in RED a few times. Then Fudd-Ass Era hit and now it’s like the LBGTQRSUV flag at our games.

* nothing wrong with the flag it’s just a joke; RELAX
It's SCARLET, not red!!!!

IDK, this is a picture from the last Flood era game at HPSS (Maryland 11/28/2015), and it looks quite Scarlet (but not packed):
-1836d0538f201864.JPG

Norfolk State game 2015:

-94b38a943a9646fa.JPG

This yours?!

-d0211a8e16ef090f.JPG

This is not yours!

-df2bb8df8ed13010.JPG

ADVERTISEMENT