ADVERTISEMENT

Blast from the Past Game: 2001 Rutgers at #5 UVA

gordel1

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2006
Anyone remember this game? Not sure if it was on TV but was there with all of maybe 5 Rutgers fans at the old University Hall. Among many other near misses this may have been the most under the radar road near miss in the past 20 years. Rutgers led by 4 at the half and was up 9 early in the 2nd half which turned into a see-saw game towards the end. Rashod Kent had an off night and got into foul trouble but everyone played really well and that was a really exciting game to attend. Will never forget the look on how stunned the UVA fans were for the majority of the game. I looked on youtube to see if there were any highlights but couldn't find any.

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122301aaa.html

Anyone remember this game? Not sure if it was on TV but was there with all of maybe 5 Rutgers fans at the old University Hall. Among many other near misses this may have been the most under the radar road near miss in the past 20 years. Rutgers led by 4 at the half and was up 9 early in the 2nd half which turned into a see-saw game towards the end. Rashod Kent had an off night and got into foul trouble but everyone played really well and that was a really exciting game to attend. Will never forget the look on how stunned the UVA fans were for the majority of the game. I looked on youtube to see if there were any highlights but couldn't find any.

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122301aaa.html

I remember this game. I believe after the game, or in his radio show that week, Gary Waters said Virginia threw a zone late at us, which confused Rutgers. He said something like "I haven't taught them how to play against a zone yet." which was a quote that drove my dad nuts for years.

This was one of the few road games I actually did not attend...didn't really go virtually "all in" till the following season

Reactions: dpwhite
I was there with my family. My kids remember Herve having a great game. I remember Gillen going on the court at timeout to get the crowd pumped up.

The UNC game in Chapel Hill, where we lead most of the way and blew it late, was the beginning of the end for RU hoops.

Reactions: DirtyRU
The UNC game in Chapel Hill, where we lead most of the way and blew it late, was the beginning of the end for RU hoops.
North Carolina got an awful lot of help in that game down the stretch. I don't think I've ever seen referees swallow their whistles like that. Mike Sherrod got mauled every time he touched the ball in those last few minutes.

North Carolina got an awful lot of help in that game down the stretch. I don't think I've ever seen referees swallow their whistles like that. Mike Sherrod got mauled every time he touched the ball in those last few minutes.
I couldn't sleep that night because I was so upset. So close....

I couldn't sleep that night because I was so upset. So close....

That was painful. Our defense was suffocating for 30+ minutes. Still remember an obnoxious UNC fan doing the choke sign. A win would have meant a game vs Kansas at MSG in preseason NIT semis.

The last five minutes of that UNC game were so bad that I went to bed believing that RU had been paid to throw the game, to set up the game with KU at the Garden. We went from dominating to doing absolutely nothing.

I can't recall that UVa game at all. Was it part of a home-and-home series? By chance, was Billett on their team then, after transferring from RU?

I remember the Virginia game in December 2001...it really hurt having control of the game with 10 minutes to go and then having it unravel like that...

it would have been win that might have put us in the NCAAs too....

The last five minutes of that UNC game were so bad that I went to bed believing that RU had been paid to throw the game, to set up the game with KU at the Garden. We went from dominating to doing absolutely nothing.

I can't recall that UVa game at all. Was it part of a home-and-home series? By chance, was Billett on their team then, after transferring from RU?

TB was sitting out this game and the following year he came to the RAC in the return game in the series....

we also blew that UNC game on the road as well.....As much as I liked them as a backcourt...this one was on the guards....as Sherrod and Coleman forgot that basetkabll was a team game in the last 8 minutes of that one....

The game at Virginia was on a Sunday afternoon during NFL season and I think it was only shown on Fox Sports South or something like that, so most probably missed it.

If I remember correctly it was a 6 PM tip-off.

I was there. I got tickets immediately behind our team's bench. Lots of fun.

Was this the game where todd Billet had already left and was sitting on their bench? Sorry now I see my answer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT