ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Hens publishing aligns with RU Press

I don’t think I have ever seen the word Rutgers’s .
I might have seen it here or there but typically it won't have the trailing 's'. But it is one convention of the possessive form. Some prefer that with words ending in 's' to follow with just an apostrophe and not an additional 's' thereafter. Both versions are considered grammatically acceptable from my understanding.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Sometimes it's "Rutgers" without any possessive as in "Rutgers basketball. " Consider also "Rutgers School of Law." These are both possessives, but without any indication of that. There's probably a rule on this that I don't remember.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Camden, did construction start in the new Business School building before corona hit? Or is funding now an issue?

Camden, did construction start in the new Business School building before corona hit? Or is funding now an issue?

I'm very rarely at the Camden campus, but when I do, I don't see any signs of construction. I don't know the status of the project, nor do I have anyone to ask any more.

Sometimes it's "Rutgers" without any possessive as in "Rutgers basketball. " Consider also "Rutgers School of Law." These are both possessives, but without any indication of that. There's probably a rule on this that I don't remember.
While perhaps possessive in a technical sense, wouldn't the examples you provided where Rutgers is a part of a larger name and thus the entire word grouping (also signified with each primary word starting with a capital letter) just considered a proper noun?

While perhaps possessive in a technical sense, wouldn't the examples you provided where Rutgers is a part of a larger name and thus the entire word grouping (also signified with each primary word starting with a capital letter) just considered a proper noun?

Take the sentence: :Rutgers basketball is doing well this year. Would you write "Rutgers' basketball" or "Rutgers basketball?" I think the latter despite no capitalization. What do you think?

Take the sentence: :Rutgers basketball is doing well this year. Would you write "Rutgers' basketball" or "Rutgers basketball?" I think the latter despite no capitalization. What do you think?
Latter, every time. I don't see how that particular sentence can ever be the former, actually, unless you add the word 'team' after basketball. I do think that basketball as used there should be with a capital B because it's a compound name (of a team) afterall. Sure on message boards with being casual writing or laziness or typos, it's no big deal if it's not always typed with a capital B as it's not an academic exercise.

Dropping your sentence example for the moment, the general difference in my mind is as follows:

Without apostophe but with capital B:
Rutgers Basketball = a team

With apostrophe and lowercase b:
Rutgers' basketball = an orange, round object possessed or owned in some way by the University (or some department or group or team or representative thereof). So in the context of a basketball game, when the ball goes out of bounds off the opponent the play-by-play guy might say...."it is Rutgers' basketball from under the basket with 5 seconds left on the shot clock." The apostrophe reflects the possessive case since Rutgers Basketball (the team) has regained possession of the basketball (the object).

Now I'm nerded out, lol!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT