ADVERTISEMENT

Board meeting with Union Shenanigans

“We need equality – Camden, Newark and New Brunswick – we are one university,” said David Hughes, vice president of the Rutgers American Association of University Professors.

I3bJ.gif

“We need equality – Camden, Newark and New Brunswick – we are one university,” said David Hughes, vice president of the Rutgers American Association of University Professors.

I3bJ.gif
"Equality -- I spoke their word/ As if a wedding vow
But I was so much older then/ I'm younger than that now."-- Bob Dylan

For many purposes, all faculty are and should be equal -- but not for all. BTW, the AAUP has long kept Newark and Camden salaries out of their comparisons between "Rutgers" and other universities. The reason is that Newark and Camden have law schools and business schools that would bring the average salary at Rutgers up, and therefore undercut the claim that Rutgers professors are underpaid in comparison to other universities' faculty. So I don't know for what purpose the AAUP wants "equality."

They want to be separate when it suits them, and they want to be together when it suits them.

I remember in high school, a lot of teachers who were seeking a new contract wore buttons saying "1 UNIT" to signify that teachers, custodians, cafeteria workers, etc., were one bargaining unit because it increased their strength. But go up to somebody and say, "So do you want to be treated as academic professionals or as people whose only qualification for a job is the ability to walk upright?" and you get a look of pure evil in return.

I don't know enough about faculty salaries to truly comment on this, but Rutgers is only one university on paper. Heck, the flagship campus wasn't even one university until the early 80s and only decide to acknowledge that fact a little more than a decade ago.

So far as the central bureaucracy is concerned, it's one university controlled out of NB. Some presidents have made attempts to decentralize, but that doesn't seem true of the current one.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
They want to be separate when it suits them, and they want to be together when it suits them.

I remember in high school, a lot of teachers who were seeking a new contract wore buttons saying "1 UNIT" to signify that teachers, custodians, cafeteria workers, etc., were one bargaining unit because it increased their strength. But go up to somebody and say, "So do you want to be treated as academic professionals or as people whose only qualification for a job is the ability to walk upright?" and you get a look of pure evil in return.

I don't know enough about faculty salaries to truly comment on this, but Rutgers is only one university on paper. Heck, the flagship campus wasn't even one university until the early 80s and only decide to acknowledge that fact a little more than a decade ago.
Obviously not a very high opinion of custodians or cafeteria workers. Very, very elitist & wrong.

And it's shocking to compare Rutgers Camden and Rutgers-Newark faculty to custodians. Faculty pass through the exact same tenure process, superivsed by the same people, at all three campuses.

Newark faculty actually do have a higher average salary than New Brunswick faculty. Out of 700 public universities, Rutgers Newark and New Brunswick are in the top 30 in salaries for public universities in the country according to this chart from the Chronicle of Higher Education. This is the latest data:

https://data.chronicle.com/category/sector/1/faculty-salaries/

I'm guessing that this is more about adjunct salaries and students who work for the university rather than full time professors. It's also silly to compare these salaries to the president's salary - of course his will be much higher. Just wait until these kids work for a corporation and compare their salaries to the salaries of CEOs.

Newark faculty actually do have a higher average salary than New Brunswick faculty. Out of 700 public universities, Rutgers Newark and New Brunswick are in the top 30 in salaries for public universities in the country according to this chart from the Chronicle of Higher Education. This is the latest data:

https://data.chronicle.com/category/sector/1/faculty-salaries/

I'm guessing that this is more about adjunct salaries and students who work for the university rather than full time professors. It's also silly to compare these salaries to the president's salary - of course his will be much higher. Just wait until these kids work for a corporation and compare their salaries to the salaries of CEOs.

I am not surprised that Newark average salaries are higher; Newark has a law school and New Brunswick does not, and law school faculty make more money than normal faculty. Also remember that Newark has a lot of the business school faculty, and business school faculty also make more money than the norm. It's not because there's anything particularly wonderful about law or business faculty, but rather because law and business types are harder to recruit because they have other lucrative job opportunities open to them. For all I know, Camden may be higher too.

ADVERTISEMENT