ADVERTISEMENT

Bob wenzel

If I could give you many Likes I would. He was impossible to listen to. Big time over compensation. One would have thought Coffey was the next coming of Lebron. Throwing the ball at Montez’s Head was a school yard play but Mintez’s subsequent actions were outrageous. Not even an attempt to announce objectively

Check out the reddit game thread, even Minnesota fans were saying this

He's always like that.

Anti Rutgers as an announcer

Totally disagree. He is never like that. In fact, I was very surprised at some of his comments in the game. Never heard things like that from Bob. Generally, 100% Rutgers even if it’s a 40/60 call. Maybe someone spoke to him and said something like “ you need to be more partial on your broadcasts”. Who knows, but I’ve heard other broadcasters, far worse.

I have heard Wenzel on some podcasts and interviews and I know it's a "point of pride" for him that he's the last coach to bring RU to the NCAAs. I wouldn't be surprised if part of him views that streak like the 72 Dolphins view their streak.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
i understand that Wenzel does not want to show bias toward Rutgers. Yesterday, however, in his efforts to avoid doing so, I thought that we were playing Duke. He was impossible to listen to.
So it wasn't just me. I honestly don't remember him being like that at any time. I had to keep reminding myself who it was who was speaking those words.

Reactions: RURM85
He had NINE years here, including five consecutive losing seasons before he got fired. If anything, he should be grateful he got that last year, which I don't believe he should
True. He should have been fired for the recruiting of Ramaj St. James (aka Jamar Holcomb) and Darko Matajasevic alone.

Last edited:
Wow - interesting takes on this. I thought he did a nice job and called it pretty fair , if anything, he slanted towards RU.

We got beat up on the road, there is only so much you can talk about a losing team.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
Was he also connected to Andrew Lamorieux (?) Los Alamitos, CA?

MO
I believe he was. Not exactly a haul of blue chip talent under Mr Wenzel after the initial euphoria. I left out Malcolm X College scoring legend Johnnie Blake.

Guys

Leave it alone already

Bob has on the totality always has a Rutgers positive Bend when calling his games ...but can only go so far

As for his tenure...he was the last coach to take us to the NCAAs ....he recruited well to start his tenure....and when the recruiting fell off....so did his winning.

Why? Both players were out of line. What was wrong with

1. Mathis shouldn't hand the ball off to Washington like that
2. Washington shouldn't have thrown the ball at Mathis
3. Mathis shouldn't have pushed Washington
His initial comment called out Mathis. He then backtracked by adding in the comments you cited above. I didn't imagine it. Others noted it in this thread.

Why? Both players were out of line. What was wrong with

1. Mathis shouldn't hand the ball off to Washington like that
2. Washington shouldn't have thrown the ball at Mathis
3. Mathis shouldn't have pushed Washington
I don’t get why handing the ball to Washington was “unsportsmanlike” according to Wenzel. It did not seem very provocative. Is that a no-no in hoops??

I missed the minny game but I know during the previous game Wenzel did on TV he was bad as well. My daughter was watching the Maryland game with me and she asked why he seemed so anti Rutgers. She had no idea who Wenzel was until I explained he was a former coach and told her I was totally surprised as well. Maybe he was told to dial down the Pro-RU stuff.

He should have handed it to the ref. We also don't know what was said, but to me, gunning the ball at someone's head is worse.
So my hypothetical question is...If Mathis did not go over to Washington and push him, would it still be a double technical? Ie, would Mathis handing to ball to Washington be considered a no-no worthy of a technical?

So my hypothetical question is...If Mathis did not go over to Washington and push him, would it still be a double technical? Ie, would Mathis handing to ball to Washington be considered a no-no worthy of a technical?
I don't know the answer to that. If it was just handing the ball over and nothing was said, I guess the ref could have hit Mathis with a delay of game warning.

If you listen to BTN talk hosts, and other BTN announcers, their slant on RU is way more positive--something about Wenzel, lately, makes him sound more like some on this board--I guess they feel the need to be overly negative about RU to make them seem more credible--as if they are so

Reactions: bethlehemfan
He was fine, people are butthurt because he blowjobbed Minnesota and RU was losing. RU didnt play well. Minnesota played very good.

Listen I love Bob, he was always One of the nicer coaches to me when I worked for Kevin, are used to talk to him all the time about shit, but I noticed that yesterday as well and here’s where he really pissed me off:

The Mathis scenario.

1) Montez VERY innocently handed the ball to Washington. Was his placed at his “stomach,” yes, but it was not done in any sort of Disrespectful or unsportsmanlike manner when you watch that replay over and over and over again. Bob, on the other hand, if you were listening on the radio you would’ve thought that Montez turned around and threw the ball and the kids stomach which simply was not the case.

2) He claims that Montez “overreacted” after the ball got thrown at his head. Seriously? So, why didn’t you say that Washington overreacted upon having the ball place lately, incredibly gently, into his hands which happened to be in front of his stomach, by Mathis?? It can’t be one way buddy not the other, Bob!

Stop it guys. the ball wasn't innocently handed to Washington. we all knew the intent.

Do I mind it? not really
Was Washington's response over the top? definitely
Did Mathis need to push Washington? NO that was over the top.

Bottom line...Wenzel was not out of line. Washington/Mathis exchange went a bit too far. Mathis shouldn't have been suspended, but he could have if things got a hair worse. That would have hurt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT