ADVERTISEMENT

BOG Meeting 7/20/16 setting Tuition

srru86

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Star Ledger
Rutgers board to set tuition rates Wednesday for school year
Sure we'll see the same tiresome protests, lower tuition, raise faculty salaries.

As hypotheticals I support both, but I live in the real world. Hopefully they will be minimal. For any real change we need to see the State increase support, starting with paying for capital expenses, rather than borrowing against future revenues and loading the budget and tuition paying students with the burden of paying off those loans indirectly.

There is a real chance that our next governor will be pro-RU. Lesniak and Wisniewski are both RU-NB alums. So long as it's not Sweeney or a Christie acolyte, we may actually start getting treated like a state flagship school, where tuition will be reasonable and professors will get paid appropriately, among other things.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
where tuition will be reasonable and professors will get paid appropriately

I'm much more sympathetic to the tuition paying students. We are on the expensive side of the scale on that front relative to our peers.

The faculty (regular-tenure track) are fairly well paid when you look at the numbers. RU faculty being unionized means we pay better on average than many schools that have more variability in their pay rates. Of course cost of living in NJ is not what it is in Bloomington or wherever has a lot to do with it also.

Are adjuncts under paid and over used? Of course. But that is endemic across higher ed.

I'm glad it wasn't higher than 1.7%. As the S-L story says, faculty and staff received a pay increase of about 2.4% (it was a set dollar amount rather than a percentage of each faculty member's salary). I do not see how Rutgers can simultaneously increase faculty pay and decrease tuition as the union representative urges. I have seen comparisons of RU-NB faculty salaries versus other prominent state universities, but the comparisons are generally apples and oranges. They will be more comparable now that RU has a medical school. Still, most other schools have law schools at their main campus, and we don't; thus our salaries look lower than at other schools.

I'm much more sympathetic to the tuition paying students. We are on the expensive side of the scale on that front relative to our peers.

The faculty (regular-tenure track) are fairly well paid when you look at the numbers. RU faculty being unionized means we pay better on average than many schools that have more variability in their pay rates. Of course cost of living in NJ is not what it is in Bloomington or wherever has a lot to do with it also.

Are adjuncts under paid and over used? Of course. But that is endemic across higher ed.
We're actually cheaper than our peers if you consider Temple, Pitt and PSU our peers. Northeast Publics are usually the most expensive.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The comments on the NJ.com story are vile.

God forbid someone actually stand up for what they believe in.

It's as though we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we don't have an intercollegiate program, many would say, "Rutgers? What's a Rutgers?" If we do, we're condemned for having one. Perhaps great success -- getting into a name bowl -- would solve this, but I'm not even certain of that. I wish I could say that the problem was just the program's stumbles (as reported by the S-L , but the people who read the Courier Post are out of the S-L's circulation area -- although of course not beyond the reach of its web page. -- and have little interest in North Jersey news.

Is that the inside of Old Queens? It's so nice. I've never been inside. If only they can make the old academic buildings in Vorhees Mall as nice as the administrative buildings on Queens Campus. NJ Hall needs to be restored badly.

Is that the inside of Old Queens? It's so nice. I've never been inside. If only they can make the old academic buildings in Vorhees Mall as nice as the administrative buildings on Queens Campus. NJ Hall needs to be restored badly.

No, it's Winants Hall.

http://governingboards.rutgers.edu/board-governors/board-governors-meeting-schedule-2016-17

For that matter, President Barchi's office is at 83 Somerset, not in Old Queens. Judging from those window air conditioners, Old Queens is not a very fancy building.

http://president.rutgers.edu/contact/contact-president-s-office

No, it's Winants Hall.

http://governingboards.rutgers.edu/board-governors/board-governors-meeting-schedule-2016-17

For that matter, President Barchi's office is at 83 Somerset, not in Old Queens. Judging from those window air conditioners, Old Queens is not a very fancy building.

http://president.rutgers.edu/contact/contact-president-s-office
83 Somerset IS Old Queens.

The president's office has pretty much always been in Old Queens. I hear the inside is nice. I just have no idea what it looks like.

Star Ledger
Should Rutgers students have a say in tuition and fees?
Not the worst idea, but not a big fan. I wonder how many places have this in place now? The State Colleges have a student rep but they have limited authority can't vote on many key things, like personnel decisions. They act more like an information bridge from and to the student body and the board.

Reactions: retired711
It's as though we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we don't have an intercollegiate program, many would say, "Rutgers? What's a Rutgers?" If we do, we're condemned for having one. Perhaps great success -- getting into a name bowl -- would solve this, but I'm not even certain of that. I wish I could say that the problem was just the program's stumbles (as reported by the S-L , but the people who read the Courier Post are out of the S-L's circulation area -- although of course not beyond the reach of its web page. -- and have little interest in North Jersey news.

Just ignore them. Once the B1G money rolls in at full rate, it will be a non-story until the pols try to get their hands on it.

Reading the comments in any news story is a great way to get your blood boiling. So much made up crap and often racist nonsense.

There is a real chance that our next governor will be pro-RU. Lesniak and Wisniewski are both RU-NB alums. So long as it's not Sweeney or a Christie acolyte, we may actually start getting treated like a state flagship school, where tuition will be reasonable and professors will get paid appropriately, among other things.
I'll believe that when I see it.

Perhaps great success -- getting into a name bowl -- would solve this, but I'm not even certain of that. I wish I could say that the problem was just the program's stumbles (as reported by the S-L , but the people who read the Courier Post are out of the S-L's circulation area -- although of course not beyond the reach of its web page. -- and have little interest in North Jersey news.
In 2006 If the ball bounced our way on a cold winter night in Morgantown, WV I am VERY confident people would still be talking about our presence (and our $$$ impact) in the area surrounding the Orange Bowl.

Just ignore them. Once the B1G money rolls in at full rate, it will be a non-story until the pols try to get their hands on it.
And we know they will try.

ADVERTISEMENT