ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling BOOM -- Rutgers Wrestling lands commitment!

Harvard Hwt or Hopefully Harer!
Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

😃

It just said it’s a potential program changer for us. In my opinion the 2 possibilities mentioned are not “program changers “. May be great building blocks for high level program but you need crazy high level guy to be a program changer.

It just said it’s a potential program changer for us. In my opinion the 2 possibilities mentioned are not “program changers “. May be great building blocks for high level program but you need crazy high level guy to be a program changer.
It’s hard to be a singular “program changer”.. need to be a minimum 1x ncaa champ most likely multiple timer.. D. Taylor was this when he brought title back to PSU.. S. Lee for Iowa for them to win their title.. I consider Ash/Suriano for us but we hadn’t been able to capitalize on it immediately…

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Are you saying that’s what we’re getting or that that is what we would need to be a program changer?
I generally agree you’d need more than 1 but if it’s like a top 10 Ferrari / Suriano / Ashnault Level then it changes the current trajectory of this program for sure.
Meant more than one needed. I'm not expecting a Suriano or Ashnault level guy, but probably one or more Poz/Soldano level. And it only makes a difference for as long as they're here. There has to be a continuous stream of those guys with two or three each year to make a program-level difference. Most importantly, they need to "pan out".

It’s hard to be a singular “program changer”.. need to be a minimum 1x ncaa champ most likely multiple timer.. D. Taylor was this when he brought title back to PSU.. S. Lee for Iowa for them to win their title.. I consider Ash/Suriano for us but we hadn’t been able to capitalize on it immediately…
Ashnault came to help put Rutgers on the wrestling map. It didn't happen. Suriano was NC potential the first time he stepped on the college wrestling map. That's a very special and unusual kid and we only got him because he was pissed off at Penn State. It was nice that he had two championship matches for us, but we couldn't keep him and he didn't attract other wrestlers to the program.

Ashnault came to help put Rutgers on the wrestling map. It didn't happen. Suriano was NC potential the first time he stepped on the college wrestling map. That's a very special and unusual kid and we only got him because he was pissed off at Penn State. It was nice that he had two championship matches for us, but we couldn't keep him and he didn't attract other wrestlers to the program.
I mean tbh both guys did put RU wrestling on the map!

There have been a lot of wild takes here over the years but saying Ashnault didn’t put Rutgers on the map is probably the single dumbest thing I’ve ever read on this forum
Ashnault did not accomplish a lasting impact. If he had, we wouldn't be where we are now. Any high-level wrestler will bring attention while he is here, but to have a lasting impact, others must follow. His arrival did not turn the program into an attractive destination for high-level wrestlers.

Ashnault did not accomplish a lasting impact. If he had, we wouldn't be where we are now. Any high-level wrestler will bring attention while he is here, but to have a lasting impact, others must follow. His arrival did not turn the program into an attractive destination for high-level wrestlers.
I actually agree with a lot of your takes and your stance that program needs improvement but this take is absolutely assanine.

To say Ashnault did not put RU on map is a joke. He was a top 5-10 recruit, 4x AA, and 1st Natl Champ (yeah I know Suriano) who gave us a ton of profile.

We have attracted some very high level wrestlers (Poz, Soldano, Peterson, Alvarez, Aragona, Rivera, Turley, Hamilton, Casale, Olivieri, Kanniard, ONeill, Janzer, Mulligan, Grello, Vulakh, etc). All of these guys were top 10 in their weight class, many top 5.

Now development of the wrestlers, character in some cases, etc are an entirely different argument. But we have attracted talent. Now the talent developing, panning out, having desire (character), injuries, etc is a whole other ball of wax.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
4 wrestlers in Rutgers history earned AA before Ashnault arrived. That spans what, 50, 60+ years?

9 different wrestlers have earned AA in the 10 years since Ashnault stepped foot on campus

“Ashnault did not have a lasting effect”

What a moron

I was guessing between yarislav and harer. Yarislav was there I think the day of the boom. Could be cannon if he was looking to come home. Those are my top three.
Would coach be talking to Cannon before his name hit the portal list? Just wondering. $$$$

We all know that things can change with these kids. Some fade or burn out. We've seen it happen at Rutgers. I bring this up because Cannon didn't have as good a year as his two AA accomplishments might suggest. He ended the season 21-12, lost the first round of NCAA to the #21 seed, won his first wrestle-back, then got pinned by the #22 seed.

Doubt it is cannon.
Mineo said it was GAME CHANGING
Not many wrestlers have that pedigree.
Cannon is a VERY good addition if he transferred, but IMO not game changing.
2 time all Americans don't grow on trees
Yes, he had a down year, but AA'ing 2x prove that it wasnt a fluke the 1st time he AA'd

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT