ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling BOOM -- Rutgers Wrestling lands commitment!

Doubt it is cannon.
Mineo said it was GAME CHANGING
Not many wrestlers have that pedigree.
Cannon is a VERY good addition if he transferred, but IMO not game changing.
2 time all Americans don't grow on trees
Yes, he had a down year, but AA'ing 2x prove that it wasnt a fluke the 1st time he AA'd
Not everyone’s definition of game changing is the same. How many individual wrestlers are truly game changing? I can promise you none of them are available

Todays hot take is Chris Cannon is an underwhelming 2x all American
Hard pass. Need three AAs to be a legit, good transfer.
Happy Animation GIF by Aardman Animations

Last edited:
If AJs legal issues clear up and he has 3 years of eligibility. That’s game changing
Exactly that is game changing. The transfer from Harvard or the recruit talked about or the transfer from NW… maybe all 3 together would be I guess program changing but not even 2 of the 3 in my opinion.

Exactly that is game changing. The transfer from Harvard or the recruit talked about or the transfer from NW… maybe all 3 together would be I guess program changing but not even 2 of the 3 in my opinion.
Don’t get me wrong, YES PLEASE on all 3!

I think it’s odd that we still haven’t heard anything. Hopefully we’re waiting on the athlete to announce it and he’s having a slow time putting together he’s committed picture or something like that….

Reactions: koleszar
A recruit where you can pencil him into the Semifinals every year of the NCAA is a game changer (IMO)
A program changer would not ne felt until after the wrestler left or the new recruit brings in other wrestlers with him.

I am good with game changers.
We need 5 or 6 of them :)

I'll ask you the same question: what do you think of Cannon's performance last season? How much of our limited money is he worth, given the need for "program changers"? Wrestlers on the rise or at least consistent performers are worth consideration. Which is he?
Bruh Cannon will be a legit AA threat next season.. how many ppl on our team next year have a legit shot to AA 2.. maybe 3?? We need as many guys on the podium as possible to reach the next lvl.. if we got him he would easily be our best wrestler next year(w/ current roster) and your asking if he’s worth consideration smh.

I'll ask you the same question: what do you think of Cannon's performance last season? How much of our limited money is he worth, given the need for "program changers"? Wrestlers on the rise or at least consistent performers are worth consideration. Which is he?
I kinda get where your coming from w/ the limited money thing bc when, last season, we were pumping our lower weight roster w/ 3 NQ lvl wrestlers per weight I was questioning if it was the best use of resources n roster management to do that… and everyone kept saying more depth is better(per weight) ! Iron sharpens iron! Grab as much talent as possible same weight and let them fight it out for starting spot and the winner will be pushed to AA! Anyways, you always grab an AA transfer if you can.. unless the weight he’s going to already has an AA then you let them have a roster battle for starting spot and whoever wins will pushed to a NC ;)

Reactions: Bobbynieds
I kinda get where your coming from w/ the limited money thing bc when, last season, we were pumping our lower weight roster w/ 3 NQ lvl wrestlers per weight I was questioning if it was the best use of resources n roster management to do that… and everyone kept saying more depth is better(per weight) ! Iron sharpens iron! Grab as much talent as possible same weight and let them fight it out for starting spot and the winner will be pushed to AA! Anyways, you always grab an AA transfer if you can.. unless the weight he’s going to already has an AA then you let them have a roster battle for starting spot and whoever wins will pushed to a NC ;)
Thanks for not being reactionary and not joining the cerebral slough that SCNJ wallows in. I did not say he would be bad. I did not say we shouldn't consider him. I was raising awareness in the midst of the excitement of his availability. That's something Goodale should consider. And yes, even with his modest record this past year, his NCAA performance equaled some of our guys, better than some, but not as good as a couple of others. Nonetheless, he would be competitive or better than most on the Rutgers team. It is still worth assessing why he had an off year. So, I'll repeat, considering everything, including an impact on Shawver, is it worth it to get him for one year? There is limited money as everyone knows and we need program changers as everyone also knows. Spend wisely.

I didn't follow Cannon or his performances this past year, so no comment. But if you are asking if I'd like to add a 2x past AA to our roster, I'm very interested. Part of the problem is we have some good wrestlers in the lower weights, but none with his credentials. Sure, we need game changers, but we need better production at just about every weight. He is an upgrade.

Reactions: KidDagger
The more high quality guys we have in the room the better. If he starts, you have a 2-time AA at a weight.
If he doesn't, he provides valuable depth and we all know the old phrase, iron sharpens iron.

I want as many high quality wrestlers at the program as possible. Never know who turns into a quality coach or wants to stick around and work with the team down the road either.

If Cannon never wins another match, he has a better career record than Perrotti. Finished 7th twice vs two 8ths for Perrotti. Anthony will be always remembered as Goodale's 1st AA and he played a big role in the turnaround of the program. Perrotti should go down in Rutgers wrestling history.

Not convinced that Cannon is the right pick-up as he would likely replace Shawver or Olivieri. Olivieri twice came out of redshirt to replace Alvarez losing the growth of a full redshirt year. Shawver seemed to take an "injury redshirt" so Peterson wouldn't miss a year.

Both Shawver and Olivieri sacrificed for the team and shouldn't pay a price for loyalty. If Cannon were a sure fire semifinalist, I would consider him. Otherwise, would pass.

It seems that Harer's commitment will be announced soon. Let's be patient. He has great potential. At the same time, we may be see him on the mat for three years. Most freshman (unless you are Levi Haines) benefit from a freshman redshirt year.

If Cannon never wins another match, he has a better career record than Perrotti. Finished 7th twice vs two 8ths for Perrotti. Anthony will be always remembered as Goodale's 1st AA and he played a big role in the turnaround of the program. Perrotti should go down in Rutgers wrestling history.

Not convinced that Cannon is the right pick-up as he would likely replace Shawver or Olivieri. Olivieri twice came out of redshirt to replace Alvarez losing the growth of a full redshirt year. Shawver seemed to take an "injury redshirt" so Peterson wouldn't miss a year.

Both Shawver and Olivieri sacrificed for the team and shouldn't pay a price for loyalty. If Cannon were a sure fire semifinalist, I would consider him. Otherwise, would pass.

It seems that Harer's commitment will be announced soon. Let's be patient. He has great potential. At the same time, we may be see him on the mat for three years. Most freshman (unless you are Levi Haines) benefit from a freshman redshirt year.
Perrotti will always be a RU legend that’s a fact.
Enough of this loyalty crap, did PSU stay loyal to Beard when Dean came in? As a program striving to be on the rise we gotta get the best guys possible and may the best man win for the starting role… it’s up to the staff to assemble the best roster with the limited resources.. also up to the staff with how they manage the roster timeline..imo u don’t want 2 or 3 guys of similar skills to be on the same time line and force them to lose years ofc this won’t matter as much if we had unlimited resources.. anyways, most freshmen these days r coming in ready then ever.. also with this new NIL thing if recruits think they get a better deal somewhere else they can transfer it gives them more power, which I feel is a good thing depending on how you look at it.

ADVERTISEMENT