ADVERTISEMENT

Boston College Party Plans

mikebal9

All American
Oct 15, 2005
Bound Brook
My friends and I will be at the game in a month, and we're looking for a way to tailgate. We'll have a group of 17, including 9 kids. So far, all I can discern is that Shea Field is the main tailgating area, and it's also only sold as a full season ticket lot.
Is anyone else going up? If so, what's your pregame plan? We may end up juat finding a breakfast spot and eating there if we can't find a better option. Anyone have any good ideas?

Reactions: bori_blanco

A lot of info in this thread:

EDIT- I just noticed you started that thread. Sorry if that is not what you wanted.

Last edited:
A lot of info in this thread:

EDIT- I just noticed you started that thread. Sorry if that is not what you wanted.

Yes, I was hoping someone weaseled their way I to Shea Field and we could latch on. These other options are ok, but not optimal for smaller kids.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Yes, I was hoping someone weaseled their way I to Shea Field and we could latch on. These other options are ok, but not optimal for smaller kids.
Yeah, the tailgating situation seems kind of sucky up there. The Comm Ave Garage at $250 does not work for you?

We are resigned to taking the train from that station with all the parking to avoid the hassles.

Where did you buy your tickets? I’m going but not sure if I should buy through RU or stubhub

Looking on Google maps there is a cemetery right near the stadium, seems like a good place to have some drinks and sandwiches and give the kids a history lesson at the same time. Grilling probably out though. In all seriousness, some cemeteries are quite beautiful

Also a place called, Cassidy Playground nearby which may work for the kids, picnic tables and it has restrooms which are key when tailgating

Possibly the worst campus for tailgating unless your a season ticket holder. Used to live on Lake St down the hill toward Brighton and lots of folks used to park there on game day. There was always a steady stream of folks walking up or down the hill on game day. This was 30 years ago, but doubt much has changed in that neighborhood. Its permit only for the first stretch, but after that is usually open.

There's some bars near Cleveland Circle T Stop but will likely be packed.

BC grad, life-long Rutgers fan here. BC tailgating definitely lacks compared to RU. Believe it or not, they've actually expanded tailgating areas since I graduated a decade ago. These days, when I make it up there, we generally tailgate in the Upper Brighton lot (top right of the image below). It's probably the most collegiate/CFB-tailgating type atmosphere BC has to offer. In my day, this lot didn't exist, and Shea Field was the main area, but Shea has since been downsized to make space for a new practice facility. The Upper Brighton lot is about a 10 minute walk to the turnstiles. You'd probably have to pay some $$ on StubHub to get a pass for one car in your group, then have the rest of your group Uber/take the T to the tailgate.

I was really looking forward to going to this game (and wearing red), but my wife's due date is the same week, so we can't stray too far from home in NJ.

Happy to answer any questions about the area.

DBS-Parking-map.png

Sorry guys and gals I've been swamped the past few weeks at work and slacking in the "party planning" department. Somewhere there's a thread, from last Jan/Feb maybe, in which I noted the perfect bar to have the party at (both Friday night and, if they're open early enough, Sat morning). If someone can find that thread for me - again, super busy this morning - I'll get to work on it today/tomorrow I promise!

NUTS

Possibly the worst campus for tailgating unless your a season ticket holder. Used to live on Lake St down the hill toward Brighton and lots of folks used to park there on game day. There was always a steady stream of folks walking up or down the hill on game day. This was 30 years ago, but doubt much has changed in that neighborhood. Its permit only for the first stretch, but after that is usually open.

There's some bars near Cleveland Circle T Stop but will likely be packed.

Mary Ann's closed permanently due to the pandemic

• Wow
Reactions: BeantownKnight
What about Cityside (Tavern) -- cityside-tavern.com? It's right there in Cleveland Circle and just a short walk around the reservoir to the stadium. I imagine that they get busy on gameday but if one were to try and reserve a room / several tables / roof deck, there's a chance, no?

Also, @mdk01 - Mary Anne's closed?! There is no god. I would walk by on my way to the T to go to work, and there were winos in there still getting served (at 7am, on a weekday).

Well the good thing is is that for anyone who has an itch there will be plenty of french whores around.

Reactions: Knightmoves
What about Cityside (Tavern) -- cityside-tavern.com? It's right there in Cleveland Circle and just a short walk around the reservoir to the stadium. I imagine that they get busy on gameday but if one were to try and reserve a room / several tables / roof deck, there's a chance, no?

Also, @mdk01 - Mary Anne's closed?! There is no god. I would walk by on my way to the T to go to work, and there were winos in there still getting served (at 7am, on a weekday).
This MIGHT be the place I was looking at months ago...is it a couple of stops up the B-Line? For some reason I'm thinking there were some good "sports" bars off either the Washington St or Sutherland St stops? Just a few minutes from campus/stadium area?

I googled it when I saw the tailgate thread. Don't know about Cityside

Sorry guys and gals I've been swamped the past few weeks at work and slacking in the "party planning" department. Somewhere there's a thread, from last Jan/Feb maybe, in which I noted the perfect bar to have the party at (both Friday night and, if they're open early enough, Sat morning). If someone can find that thread for me - again, super busy this morning - I'll get to work on it today/tomorrow I promise!

NUTS

Here's the place. It was CitySide Tavern.

Cityside Tavern was recommended to me by 2 different friends who live in Boston.

This MIGHT be the place I was looking at months ago...is it a couple of stops up the B-Line? For some reason I'm thinking there were some good "sports" bars off either the Washington St or Sutherland St stops? Just a few minutes from campus/stadium area?

@AreYouNUTS - CitySide is at the end of the C line (right at Cleveland Circle), on Beacon Street. From there, the walk - around the reservoir - is probably about a mile to the stadium. It's not far at all and probably the place I'd most likely think of when I think "big bar near campus".

The closer you get to Washington Street, the nicer and more upscale the bars/restaurants get. Obviously, that neighborhood has changed quite a bit since I lived there. However, the Abbey and Publick House are contenders. Although, time of day would be an issue. CitySide does brunch on weekends (at least they used to) and would be open early. Not sure about the others.

What time are people looking to gather? Depending on schedule, other places (a bit further out) might also be possibilities but would require taking transportation (i.e. the T) - such as "Game On" in Kenmore Square.

Okay so I had it right all along lol!

@AreYouNUTS - CitySide is at the end of the C line (right at Cleveland Circle), on Beacon Street. From there, the walk - around the reservoir - is probably about a mile to the stadium. It's not far at all and probably the place I'd most likely think of when I think "big bar near campus".

The closer you get to Washington Street, the nicer and more upscale the bars/restaurants get. Obviously, that neighborhood has changed quite a bit since I lived there. However, the Abbey and Publick House are contenders. Although, time of day would be an issue. CitySide does brunch on weekends (at least they used to) and would be open early. Not sure about the others.

What time are people looking to gather? Depending on schedule, other places (a bit further out) might also be possibilities but would require taking transportation (i.e. the T) - such as "Game On" in Kenmore Square.
My thought process is this:

- Friday I say we just get there early, take it over early, and stay lol! I'll call BUT not so sure they're just gonna give "us" specials the night before a game. This isn't a bowl or a city on the other side of the country. It is, also, a holiday weekend and I have no idea if students are on campus yet? Anyway they serve the lunch menu 11:30 to 4PM; "supper" 4 to 11PM; bar closes at 2AM.

- Sat morning they don't even open until 10AM (for brunch) and again, I'll ask, but I can't imagine a place like this having their brunch crew come in early to stop brunch (not regular menu) preparations for us. Again, I'll ask, no harm no foul.

- Friday I say we just get there early, take it over early, and stay lol! I'll call BUT not so sure they're just gonna give "us" specials the night before a game. This isn't a bowl or a city on the other side of the country. It is, also, a holiday weekend and I have no idea if students are on campus yet? Anyway they serve the lunch menu 11:30 to 4PM; "supper" 4 to 11PM; bar closes at 2AM.

- Sat morning they don't even open until 10AM (for brunch) and again, I'll ask, but I can't imagine a place like this having their brunch crew come in early to stop brunch (not regular menu) preparations for us. Again, I'll ask, no harm no foul.

I don't know if it still holds true, but September 1 used to be officially designated as "Move-in Day", when all the leases in the non-campus student ghettos turned over and Boston had a glut of U-Hauls trailers that took 3 months to get rid of. So you are likely to have most of the students in town.

We are parking over at the New Balance Garage over in Brighton and taking the shuttle over.
Would definitely hit the Cityside Tavern for pre game if there is time and they are open.

We are parking over at the New Balance Garage over in Brighton and taking the shuttle over.
Would definitely hit the Cityside Tavern for pre game if there is time and they are open.
They open at 10 (unless they open earlier on home game Saturday’s).

Students will be on campus.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT