ADVERTISEMENT

brandon paetzell Leaving Rutgers

Yes it is true. Will let you know where he is going.
You might be the best person to answer this, how did Mackall look in the room before he got hurt last year? Physically, he looked stronger coming out of high school than Paetzell as Paetzell was more wiry and Mackall was more compact. How about wrestling-wise? Were you able to see him head-to-head against Paetzell? I don't remember when Mackall got hurt.

I heard this rumor of few days ago. Was hoping it wasn't true. Lehigh has a National Champ at 125, Cruz , who beat Gilman. Cruz will be a senior (not sure about 5th year eligibility), and Paetzell will have to sit a year . Which he needs to do anyway to get stronger to compete with the top 125 pounders. Kid was game, and had a good motor, just out muscled in many Big10 matches.
I talked to him at the Open practice before one of the football games, and he said he loved it at RU, and was also told Brandon and his mom were at the RU wrestling banquet recently, so again, I'm surprised and a bit bummed. I'm originally from Warren County and root for all District 1 kids (Hackettstown, P;burg, Warren Hills, Belvedere, etc. Heck even Blair was nearby and we'd go to check out a few matches although most of their matches were out of town tourneys and high profile matches out of state).

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUPOWER
I heard this rumor of few days ago. Was hoping it wasn't true. Lehigh has a National Champ at 125, Cruz , who beat Gilman. Cruz will be a senior (not sure about 5th year eligibility), and Paetzell will have to sit a year . Which he needs to do anyway to get stronger to compete with the top 125 pounders. Kid was game, and had a good motor, just out muscled in many Big10 matches.
I talked to him at the Open practice before one of the football games, and he said he loved it at RU, and was also told Brandon and his mom were at the RU wrestling banquet recently, so again, I'm surprised and a bit bummed. I'm originally from Warren County and root for all District 1 kids (Hackettstown, P;burg, Warren Hills, Belvedere, etc. Heck even Blair was nearby and we'd go to check out a few matches although most of their matches were out of town tourneys and high profile matches out of state).
So the main reason Paetzell is transferring to Lehigh is to get a inside track to start at 125??

So the main reason Paetzell is transferring to Lehigh is to get a inside track to start at 125??
Why would he have to sit a year @Lehigh? Word is that he wants to wrestle @133. Struggles @25,aint gonna be easier @33 thats 4 sure

I have no idea IF he is even thinking of going to Lehigh. Just bringing up the fact that Cruz is there, a senior to be. Plus some good 125 pounders behind him in Nick Farro coming inand Matt Parker, PIAA runner up.
IMO, he looked smaller , muscle wise and even height wise, then almost every Big10 kid he wrestled. He needed to Redshirt and get stronger, but when McCabe apparently could not make weight, Paetzell was the next best option. He had some nice early wins, but the grind of the Big 10 season eventually wore him down, imo.
And to Ironia Horses' comment about not having to sit out, he is probably right, as long as it's not a Big10 team, I think the sit out applies to Football, Basketball and maybe Baseball.

Last edited:
I believe it is Lehigh. He and Mackall were very close in the room. Remember Alex had a bum shoulder so you have to take that into account. He had surgery so now he is healthy. He is built like a fire plug. Brandon would have red shirted next year anyway. Firestone is a 33 pounder so he is not a 125 option.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
"It wasn't one particular thing," Paetzell said. "It was a number of things relative to my situation that made me feel it was time to move on. You only get four chances at college wrestling. I really don't want to say anything negative about Rutgers. There wouldn't have been anything negative about staying at Rutgers. It was more the positive things about going to Lehigh. I had great training partners at Rutgers, but at Lehigh I would have a national champion. You can't beat that."

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/spo...aetzell_planning_to_t.html#incart_river_index

It's going to cost his family a lot more money if he lives on campus in Bethlehem.

Lehigh is a headscratcher & it appeared he had to try really hard to not say something negative. I hope we land Glory.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Bill,
I was wondering how often Tyler Graff is in the room training with the lower weight guys. It is one thing for Brandon to say that he looks forward to working with Cruz but Tyler Graff is a top 3 National senior level freestyler. The lower weight guys must be benefiting greatly from Tyler Graff if he is with them consistently, right?

Frank Pirelli is also training with us so he just finished 4th in the US Open. Cruz has 1 year left so He should care about his last 3 years. Graf is there often enough and is a great workout partner and a great kid.

Farro redshirted last year for Lehigh (125). I think Farro beats Paetzell.
Sounds like wng has some inside info, maybe Paetzell thought he was getting bumped.

That might have caused the stress Brandon spoke about on the Lehigh site that he might not wrestle at RU for the rest of his career. Time will tell.

Too bad about Paetzell. I'm thinking we have a better shot at Raimo than Glory. Thoughts?

Its a shame only because the best schools, where we want to be, are able to keep kids like Paetzall in the room. That said, some guys are always going to try to chase a starting role somewhere. It really would have been best for the program if he stayed. But with the scholarship limits being where they are, I am sure any demotion has financial repercussions as well.

Lehigh fans would never admit to it, and some might even snicker, but I firmly believe they will be in our rearview mirror in another 5 years.

I'm getting a little nervous about Perrotti's tweeting. First with the support for Downey and then this one. While anybody is allowed their opinion, and while he's not officially on staff (worked for SKWC last year), I'm not sure how much our coaches want him being so vocal on an open forum like that.

Reactions: plcoolg
ADVERTISEMENT