ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking: Rutgers fills its baseball head coach vacancy, and it’s 1 of the winningest coaches

Sounds like an awesome hire if we can close him.

Owenshighlights.jpg

https://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/bsb/Coaches/Steve_Owens?view=bio

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
Very good & successful coach at very good & successful program, my alma mater D3 Cortland.

OMG, I remember him from Little League and High School Baseball
(I believe he also played high school basketball against our team)
Did not realize he was that Owens from Sauquoit, NY
I have another reason to root for RU baseball.
(he graduated a year behind me)

Last edited:
As an alum of the program and somebody who is connected in baseball circles, this is a fantastic hire. Guy has won everywhere he's been and is a proven builder with a great reputation.

I was hoping that Hobbs would conduct this search the right way and not hire another somebody within NJ baseball circle. As much as I like Cundari, this program needed to hire somebody like this. Someone who has won a lot and knows how to win at a Northeast program. The best part is he's not an NJ guy. Meaning that recruits in state will only know him for what he's done, and that's win and get kids drafted. Even from the northeast. His rep is clean here and is someone that will get immediate respect. It's about time we treated this program like a B1G contender and with this hire, Hobbs has done that. Very well done Hobbs!

At 54 still young enough to have some gas left in the tank. If successful here, will probably be his last stop, which is good.

“Some”? I would think he’s got a good 15 years if not more of “gas left in his tank.”

Oh yeah, to a few of you, “I told you so” HAHAHAHA just messing around we should ALL be VERY happy today!!

[cheers]

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
“Some”? I would think he’s got a good 15 years if not more of “gas left in his tank.”
Well I beg your pardon. If you think that you have as much gas left in your tank at 65 no less at 70 as you did at 55 dream on.

Well that was the implication. Congratulations, you took a positive comment, engaged in semantics, twisted yourself in a knot to be right & turned a positive into a negative.

Dude, what the heck is your problem with me? Did I do something personal to you in an effort to offend you, purposely, over the last couple of months?

...and, NO, it wasn't the "implication." It simply was a statement based on the fact that others coach (or do even more difficult jobs) well into their 60's and or 70's these days. Not really a big deal.

Last edited:
Dude, what the heck is your problem with me? Did I do something personal to you in an effort to offend you, purposely, over the last couple of months?

...and, NO, it wasn't the "implication." It simply was a statement based on the fact that others coach well into their 60's and or 70's these days. Not really a big deal.
Well just hang me because I said some gas. It's all relative. I'm quite finished wasting time on this with you. And by the way trust me, you don't have as much gas in your tank at 65 & 70 as you did at 55.

Well just hang me because I said some gas. It's all relative. I'm quite finished wasting time on this with you. And by the way trust me, you don't have as much gas in your tank at 65 & 70 as you did at 55.

(not worth it...)

Reactions: TRU2RU
"wasting your time with me"? Seriously dude, get off your high horse, it's really not cool for anyone let alone an older person. Obviously you don't "have as much gas" as you get older - doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out - but you're not everyone and people are built differently. Hey, MAYBE he only wants to coach 10 more years, who knows, but I was just making a point that MAYBE that's not the case. Sorry for expressing my opinion.
Well you've been all over the lot with your position. You're the one who took issue with a positive comment & turned a positive series of posts into shit. Don't look at me.

Well you've been all over the lot with your position. You're the one who took issue with a positive comment & turned a positive series of posts into shit. Don't look at me.

No, I did NOT do that, you simply chose to take it that way.

Reactions: goru7
Hope he can recruit baseball-rich areas and JUCOs, as most of the successful programs do. Regional recruiting is not enough if you want to compete for titles. It will be interesting to see how his staff snd roster shapes up.

Hope he can recruit baseball-rich areas and JUCOs, as most of the successful programs do. Regional recruiting is not enough if you want to compete for titles. It will be interesting to see how his staff snd roster shapes up.

915–483–2

....I think he knows how to get it done. :chairshot:

No, I did NOT do that, you simply chose to take it that way.
No, you're the one who took issue. I'll repeat. At 54 he still has some gas left in the tank. Some is clearly a general & subjective concept. Could represent 10,15, 20, or 6 or 8 years, who knows. If you still want to take issue with the use of "some" have at it. Time for bed for this septuagenarian.

"Owens has two sons currently on the Bryant baseball team. Sam Owens, a rising junior infielder/catcher, batted .326 with six home runs and 37 RBI while redshirt senior Jack Owens compiled a 4-2 record with a 3.00 ERA in 18 innings of relief in 2019. He also has a daughter, Jane, who was a freshman infielder/outfielder on the Bryant softball team in 2019."

Will they transfer in ?

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/06/...of-the-winningest-coaches-in-the-country.html

"Owens has two sons currently on the Bryant baseball team. Sam Owens, a rising junior infielder/catcher, batted .326 with six home runs and 37 RBI while redshirt senior Jack Owens compiled a 4-2 record with a 3.00 ERA in 18 innings of relief in 2019. He also has a daughter, Jane, who was a freshman infielder/outfielder on the Bryant softball team in 2019."

Will they transfer in ?

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/06/...of-the-winningest-coaches-in-the-country.html
If they can play, I sure hope so!

No, you'rthe one eco took issue

I did NOT “take issue.” Holy shit dude are you drunk or just a complete asshole today? I made a simple comment. That’s all. You could’ve just moved right on but instead you chose to make a big deal out of this not me (and you’ve been doing it for months now).

I know it is the main job for Pat and Sarah, but I hope he can schmooze with alumni to get some money for a stadium. That is a lot of wins. I would be happy with that percentage at RU. Hopefully he hits the ground running with New Jersey coaches and players and we still can make inroads with kids from the class of 2020.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT