ADVERTISEMENT

Brecht talks lacrosse on the Scarlet Spotlight podcast

Very impressive. You guys are knowledgeable, ask real, good questions, and the production is professional. Nice flow with you and Brian. My only suggestion would be more of it! As you know, Brian keeps the program very open and accessible. Player perspectives would be great too.

Thanks for doing this. The program certainly deserves all the interest they are getting.

I agree this was a real good listen, and it comes on the heels of the e-mail I received today saying that they will be officially breaking ground on the Roskin Center at the end of March, so excited for the future.
You going to practice tomorrow (and the coaches clinic)? If yes, find 44 and put a headlock on him for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: Caliknight
Great news about the Rodkin Center. We need to raise a little more money. Donate everyone! Some good naming rights available.
The Big Ten Build site is really out of date. I don’t know why the RFund lets it get that way. Lazy and doesn’t look good.

You going to practice tomorrow (and the coaches clinic)? If yes, find 44 and put a headlock on him for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I will be there tomorrow I will do what you ask I just hope he does not punch me.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Where do you coach?
I don’t but I was invited by one of my friends who coaches youth lacrosse, I have been to Football and Basketball practices but I have never been to a lacrosse practice

Enjoyed the podcast immensely. Solid job by all involved. Early on in his tenure I was a Doubting Thomas on Coach Brecht. I was completely wrong. I think enough of him now that the doubt has turned in the other direction. Can we hold on to him if a higher profile program makes overtures? The scope of his recruiting is impressive as well as the W-L results. He has not been tied to the recruit locally paradigm that has set us back in so many other sports programs for decades.

Enjoyed the podcast immensely. Solid job by all involved. Early on in his tenure I was a Doubting Thomas on Coach Brecht. I was completely wrong. I think enough of him now that the doubt has turned in the other direction. Can we hold on to him if a higher profile program makes overtures? The scope of his recruiting is impressive as well as the W-L results. He has not been tied to the recruit locally paradigm that has set us back in so many other sports programs for decades.

Assuming we take care of him, he has no reason to go anywhere. I know he was being looked at by other big time programs, specifically Uva when that opened up. We are a big time program. With the facility being done, he has everything here to win big.

After speaking with him after he was hired, it was pretty obvious he was the guy.

Just got back from the clinic and practice. Clinic was very good as the reinforced some really good concepts and the coaches are very personable.
Practice was all drills with a focus on stick work and basic skills. Really liked the presentations and on field demos. Not much to say about the team yet there were a couple
Of position changes as Schnacte looks like he is moving to Attack, and Russo back to close defense The pace was very fast and the new coaches have done an excellent job of drilling skills to develop a better player.
I think that we can be very good on offense as Sprock, Kamish and Schnacte provide some more athleticism to go along with Rose and a lightning quick Gallagher.
Coyneis all of 6’3” and has filled out he is just a monster. This attack with him, Mullins and a fully healthy AC ( he took today off) could be better than the 2016 version.
I Spoke to several players and to a man they are very excited for the season

Golfer one head lock delivered to your son. Once again you have done a very nice job with that young man.

Don’t want to be too specific as things about the team will come out over the course of the next few weeks. Nothing big and it is stuff some of you already know

Really excited for the season. If AC stays healthy, this attack is going to put up serious numbers. Hard to believe Coyne is an 18 year old soph. Kid is a beast. Mullins is going to have a monster year assuming good health. Throw in a healthy AC who has a skill set unlike any other, and it’s going to be very exciting with the horses in the midfield.

Really excited for the season. If AC stays healthy, this attack is going to put up serious numbers. Hard to believe Coyne is an 18 year old soph. Kid is a beast. Mullins is going to have a monster year assuming good health. Throw in a healthy AC who has a skill set unlike any other, and it’s going to be very exciting with the horses in the midfield.
The scary part is that with the exception of Rose all of them are underclassmen.
I think this team may need a little while to get into an offensive flow, as they are going to have few plays and more sets and free motion. Which most people would think would be great but it is much more about reading and understanding the people you are playing with and AC has not played a game with these other attackman since the fall of 2017. Needless to say they will need some time to jell and work together. Same with the midfield as Kamish and Sprock are new and Schnacte played attack last year. Lots of great pieces but they will need some time to figure it out.

Just got back from the clinic and practice. Clinic was very good as the reinforced some really good concepts and the coaches are very personable.
Practice was all drills with a focus on stick work and basic skills. Really liked the presentations and on field demos. Not much to say about the team yet there were a couple
Of position changes as Schnacte looks like he is moving to Attack, and Russo back to close defense The pace was very fast and the new coaches have done an excellent job of drilling skills to develop a better player.
I think that we can be very good on offense as Sprock, Kamish and Schnacte provide some more athleticism to go along with Rose and a lightning quick Gallagher.
Coyneis all of 6’3” and has filled out he is just a monster. This attack with him, Mullins and a fully healthy AC ( he took today off) could be better than the 2016 version.
I Spoke to several players and to a man they are very excited for the season

Golfer one head lock delivered to your son. Once again you have done a very nice job with that young man.

Don’t want to be too specific as things about the team will come out over the course of the next few weeks. Nothing big and it is stuff some of you already know
Thanks for the update family...good stuff

Thanks for checking in on my son...he told me you guys chatted..good to hear the buzz and excitement is ramping up...

Last edited:
The scary part is that with the exception of Rose all of them are underclassmen.
I think this team may need a little while to get into an offensive flow, as they are going to have few plays and more sets and free motion. Which most people would think would be great but it is much more about reading and understanding the people you are playing with and AC has not played a game with these other attackman since the fall of 2017. Needless to say they will need some time to jell and work together. Same with the midfield as Kamish and Sprock are new and Schnacte played attack last year. Lots of great pieces but they will need some time to figure it out.
Your post is spot on...that's the direct feedback I'm getting...lots of impressive pieces...but they need time and reps together to get a better feel as an offensive unit...which is to be expected...

Next weeks practices and upcoming scrimmages will help, and if health holds up across the board, I think the team will see rapid improvement with a very high ceiling as they work through February and into March

Keep getting better with a focus on playing out best ball at the end of the season. Fam, how did Peterson look?

Keep getting better with a focus on playing out best ball at the end of the season. Fam, how did Peterson look?
Peterson is a very large young man and in 1v1 drills and uneven situations he is very hard to handle and I think he could be very good but he still needs to develop a higher lacrosse IQ.

Reactions: Caliknight
I’m sure with coaching that will come. Let’s remember, he’s a young early enrollee too.

Reactions: rufamily
Looking forward to the scrimmage Saturday, I know the boys are fired up since Nova was the team that stole the NCAA bid....
just as a heads up. I appears like there is, at least a possibility of some weather on Saturday that may force the scrimmage into the bubble, if this is the case the scrimmage would be closed as there is not enough room for fans in the bubble. obviously not my decision but I am hearing that it is possible if the weather is bad.

just as a heads up. I appears like there is, at least a possibility of some weather on Saturday that may force the scrimmage into the bubble, if this is the case the scrimmage would be closed as there is not enough room for fans in the bubble. obviously not my decision but I am hearing that it is possible if the weather is bad.
Thanks for the heads up

That’s something that should be advertised big time. Why keep it so quiet?
Sometimes, these things are announced well after the fact for very simple, well thought out reasons. It can be to get the most out of the announcement, to leverage the news with an additional donor to entice them for a big gift, to make sure that all of the I’s are dotted, to make sure that verbal commitments are signed so they are codified, so on. There is no need to push the news out the second the final pledge has been made. This kind of news can be big, or a bust, if you do it right or wrong.

Pretty sure scrimmage is closed...being played in bubble...I've heard it from a pretty good source...weather related as you note

Sometimes, these things are announced well after the fact for very simple, well thought out reasons. It can be to get the most out of the announcement, to leverage the news with an additional donor to entice them for a big gift, to make sure that all of the I’s are dotted, to make sure that verbal commitments are signed so they are codified, so on. There is no need to push the news out the second the final pledge has been made. This kind of news can be big, or a bust, if you do it right or wrong.
Hopefully, they broadcast this soon. $100 million was the goal and if they reached that like it’s been mentioned here, that’s big news. Lots of skeptics out there, so this would shut them up.

Hopefully, they broadcast this soon. $100 million was the goal and if they reached that like it’s been mentioned here, that’s big news. Lots of skeptics out there, so this would shut them up.
I hear ya. Priority goes to those who have made commitments and making sure that their documents and wishes are all being set up properly.

It also could be a stylistic choice. $100MM is a big deal, but not the biggest deal in the world. We need to act like we've been there, which we have overall, just not in athletics. Not saying it's the best idea, but it is an approach.

It has just been announced that the scrimmage will be in the bubble and is closed to the public

ADVERTISEMENT