ADVERTISEMENT

Bronny James to RU?

Luckily, the boards opinion of LeBron doesn't matter.

HC Pike clearly doesn't think LeBron is a coach-killing sideline distraction since he's actively recruiting Bronny.

As if Dylan Harper wasn't enough, this is further evidence that Rutgers is all-in on 1-and-done players.

Reactions: Knight Ed
Luckily, the boards opinion of LeBron doesn't matter.

HC Pike clearly doesn't think LeBron is a coach-killing sideline distraction since he's actively recruiting Bronny.

As if Dylan Harper wasn't enough, this is further evidence that Rutgers is all-in on 1-and-done players.
I wouldn’t say he’s “all in” on them and that’s his strategic plan. More like - he recognizes a role Rutgers can play as an appealing alternative for some of those types of kids and he’s getting his foot wet with it. Nothing more.

Pike knows his place. RU doesn’t have the budget to pay recruits for potential. We will not be going after projected one and done types who do not come from families with money. I’m not saying that all kids don’t “love” money. But to kids like Bronny or Harper - securing the best initial NIL deal possible out of HS isn’t going to be life changing for their families. That gives him a pitch. He has a track record of developing players that he can point to and there’s a real argument that the longer term tail risk for a kid like Bronny is higher if he gets lost in the shuffle on a roster full of 5 stars whose teams often do not end up playing team basketball.

He’s not a troublemaker? How many teammates or coaches did he screw?
And you know why he gives money to charity. Dude is a hypocrite. If he really cares about social rights or poor people, he wouldn’t take the dirty money from CCP.
It's pretty offensive to be branded as part of the "shut up and dribble" club just because LeBron is not necessarily your cup of tea. His massive ego doesn’t make him unique among megastars, just make sure wider doorways are part of the RAC renovation. Locker room lawyer, and if he’s not a certified coach-killer he certainly operates in the shadows.
Did he do this to his son’s HS coaches?

It's pretty offensive to be branded as part of the "shut up and dribble" club just because LeBron is not necessarily your cup of tea. His massive ego doesn’t make him unique among megastars, just make sure wider doorways are part of the RAC renovation. Locker room lawyer, and if he’s not a certified coach-killer he certainly operates in the shadows.
Not saying you are part of it.... but does the shut up and dribble crowd ever admit to being part of the shut up and dribble crowd?

They might rename the RAC back to the LBAC, The LeBron Athletic Center.
People here would boycott Rutgers for life if that ever happens, even if LBJ gives Rutgers a $3 Million donation for what they’ve done for Bronny

Sneakers? A kid chooses what college to attend based on sneakers.
Never had this problem when everyone was wearing Chuck Taylors. Only question was if they would be black or white.
Show companies sponsor AAU teams. It’s very common for players to stay in that same echo system.

Sneakers? A kid chooses what college to attend based on sneakers.
Never had this problem when everyone was wearing Chuck Taylors. Only question was if they would be black or white.
While I agree that choosing a college over which sneakers they wear is a bizarre scenario (when you say those words out loud)…the Chuck Taylor reference is a
a bit ironic.
Chucks were the original pair of basketball sneakers that were endorsed to increase their sales. I mean they kind of started this whole thing, but had a bit of a monopoly because they were first.

Im not sure the wider selection of sneakers if the issue at heart. I think it’s the ultra competitiveness amongst marketing, sales and CEOs to monetize every freaking thing we touch. It just gets old.

Reactions: colbert17
Did you say the same thing about Ron Harper? Every other son of a pro athlete?
No of course not. Ron sr is not lebron and seem to have very different personalities. Ron sr. seems to sit back and let his son play(full disclosure I have not seen him behave at Ron’s aau tournaments as a kid), lebron is very clearly a me first guy. It would take a week for bronny not to play or an substitution befor lebron posting subliminal messages on Twitter after games. If bronny was 5 star than the juice maybe worth the squeeze.

Reactions: Caliknight
Lebron is a known bore and yes, his kids high school games were a spectacle because of his antics.

Good news is he is still in the NBA so his presence would probably be limited.

The biggest issue isn't Lebron. It's more that his kid just isn't that good. The younger one is much better. He's got a lot of stars for a kid with not a lot of offers.

Rivals has him listed as a 4 star, yet he has one offer from NC Central.

Something doesn't add up.

Reactions: NickRU714
Did he do this to his son’s HS coaches?

How many minutes does he play? i do know lebron makes himself very visible at his aau games.

What happens when Pikiell decides that Bronny is the next Montez and puts him on the bench? Or puts him on the bench in a late game scenario? Or doesnt run an offense that Lebron agrees with?

Do you think Lebron doesnt say a thing on twitter?

What happens if bronny is all hype and turns into Douc who doesnt play at all and Bronny tansfers? Does Lebron go scorched earth?

Lebron is a known bore and yes, his kids high school games were a spectacle because of his antics.

The biggest issue isn't Lebron. It's more that his kid just isn't that good. The younger one is much better. He's got a lot of stars for a kid with not a lot of offers.

If Pike thinks he can coach the kid it’s good enough for me.

Reactions: tm_nj and Knight Ed
How many minutes does he play? i do know lebron makes himself very visible at his aau games.

What happens when Pikiell decides that Bronny is the next Montez and puts him on the bench? Or puts him on the bench in a late game scenario? Or doesnt run an offense that Lebron agrees with?

Do you think Lebron doesnt say a thing on twitter?

What happens if bronny is all hype and turns into Douc who doesnt play at all and Bronny tansfers? Does Lebron go scorched earth?
Post the links of videos showing LeBron disrespecting AAU, HS coaches. Or him making coaches play his son? Or his tweets about his son’s being disrespected by basketball coaches? Or him going scorched earth because of basketball?

So there should be plenty of videos of Lebrons antics at his sons Hs games. Post the links.

I would imagine LeBron attends minimal Brony college games.
He'll likely be across the country based in L.A. and have his own team commitments (I'm ignoring the LeBron to Brooklyn thread).

It's easy to attend HS games when it's the same city you spend half the season in.

Also - Brony isn't transferring anywhere.
He's playing college for 1 year (if that don't change the NBA rules) and then getting drafted.
A team is going to draft him in hopes of gaining favor with LeBron (who said previously he wants to play with his son in the NBA).

Post the links of videos showing LeBron disrespecting AAU, HS coaches. Or him making coaches play his son? Or his tweets about his son’s being disrespected by basketball coaches? Or him going scorched earth because of basketball?
Again it is one thing when your kids plays 98% of the minutes. what happens when he does play? Lebron clearly from the links below is very active

here is one. very clearly talking to a player during the game and slapping a guy five on the bench. The second video do LeBron clearly walking up the sideline on the court after a bronny dunk.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/27/lebron-james-coach-dad-son-bronny-jr-aau-team-vegas/

Here is another one with lebron fighting with the announcer mid game. the shooting around with the players making it all about him.

Third of lebron dunking in the warm up line at bronny's games.

4th lebron running on court give kids high fives.
https://people.com/sports/lebron-ja...sketball-game-sparks-online-parenting-debate/

Reactions: Caliknight
Wow, well that is the smoking gun. That in of itself is enough for me to say stay away.

the links from Pancho right above my post. Wouldn’t be worth it given there is no chance he plays more than one year and Lebron potentially making it about him and meddling.
In any event, he’s not coming here so it’s just something fun to talk about in August

Again it is one thing when your kids plays 98% of the minutes. what happens when he does play? Lebron clearly from the links below is very active

here is one. very clearly talking to a player during the game and slapping a guy five on the bench. The second video do LeBron clearly walking up the sideline on the court after a bronny dunk.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/27/lebron-james-coach-dad-son-bronny-jr-aau-team-vegas/

Here is another one with lebron fighting with the announcer mid game. the shooting around with the players making it all about him.

https://people.com/sports/lebron-ja...sketball-game-sparks-online-parenting-debate/

That's it.
LeBron isn't allowed to attend any games in July!
Can't let him be a distraction.....

This is so overblown.
Our season is Novemeber to March.
LeBrons is November to April.

LeBron is based in L.A.
Rutgers is based in N.J.

This isn't attending a HS game around the corner on an off day.

Not to mention, LeBron will still have his other son playing in local HS games.

Maybe LeBron attends a RU-USC/UCLA game in L.A. at best.

Reactions: tm_nj and Scangg
it will take 1 tweet from lebron to set us back on the recruiting trail. Bronny isnt good enough for that. Lebron is a me first guy. he cares about himself and his kid. thats it. Lebrons goal is to playwith bronny. not playing at rutgers will not help make that happen.

Just because pikiell did a phenominal job with ron does not translate to doing a great job with bronny. if ron sr. tweeted most high school players would wonder who the hell he is.

it will take 1 tweet from lebron to set us back on the recruiting trail. Bronny isnt good enough for that. Lebron is a me first guy. he cares about himself and his kid. thats it. Lebrons goal is to playwith bronny. not playing at rutgers will not help make that happen.

Just because pikiell did a phenominal job with ron does not translate to doing a great job with bronny. if ron sr. tweeted most high school players would wonder who the hell he is.
Have you considered what one tweet about how awesome Pike and Rutgers would do?

I personally could care less for LeBron but this is a stretch if you think any of this would carry over in college.

Layup line shenanigans & high fives at AAU games are nothing compared to the parents throwing punches at officials and others. These examples show more an axe to grind than actual issues we should be concerned about. Plus the fact that his own NBA schedule will probably limit how many games he sees in person.

Tico this seem normal to you? You want to see that at Rutgers? #Pass

If you didn't want LeBron to be present at RU games, you care more about a personal petty dislike of a superstar athlete than you do about the bball program. #TakeAllDay

That's it!
Lebron isn't allowed to attend any games at Rutgers!

Oh wait - all these "shenanigans" occurred in July and games over the summer?
During our actual season, Lebron would be involved with his own season and games?

Doesn't matter! No Lebron at July basketball events!

If you didn't want LeBron to be present at RU games, you care more about a personal petty dislike of a superstar athlete than you do about the bball program. #TakeAllDay

It's a combo. "Bronnys" offer list doesn't match his stars. And yea, culture is very important. If you have a mega star breathing down the coaches neck it has the potential to cause some serious issues. Especially if his kid isn't actually that good.

There is zero chance he comes to Rutgers now after signing a deal with Nike. He will be a Nike school guaranteed.

It's going to be interesting though. I thought about this awhile ago and it's going to come to fruition. At some point there some contracts are going to be tested. What if say, Nike wants to sponsor a kid on our team? Our school has an apparel deal, including shoes, with Adidas but the kids don't. In the pro leagues you see off brands all the time, but that's because those leagues have apparel deals with the leagues themselves for uniforms. In college those deals are for all apparel including shoes.

Something is going to give. If I am a manufacturer, I'd stop having blanket deal with schools and just poach the best players.

ADVERTISEMENT