ADVERTISEMENT

Brother Jimmy's closes

S_Janowski

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 24, 2009
Marlton, NJ
Friend of mine said they shut down a couple days ago. That didn't last long.

I've never been and heard the food wasn't that great, but NB needs these types of places. It's a shame these businesses can't stick.

Too bad. Something must not be being done right from the point of restaurant operations to see places closing down after only a few years. Not an easy business by any means. I think BJs went for about 5-6 years IIRC, seem to remember they opened prior to or during the 2012 football season.

Was usually crowded even if the food wasn't always great so this is a surprise. Location has been taken off of the main site. Wonder if they just didn't want to keep this location open. Appears some of the ones in NYC closed also.

This a great location also. The right place can be a gold mine. I still Rutgers needs a legitimate sports bar which the likes of which can be found in any college town.

They probably closed because there barbecue just wasn't that good.

This a great location also. The right place can be a gold mine. I still Rutgers needs a legitimate sports bar which the likes of which can be found in any college town.

Location was just okay...at the bottom of Easton. Lost train traffic because most people don’t exit the train through there anymore when the path directly to somerset was opened.

Also, wasn’t Rutgers enough. Didn’t feel like they went out of there way to cater to RU...

If they closed multiple locations, the chain might be running into financial problems.

The problem with Brother Jimmy's in NB was the food wasn't too good and the place was poorly managed. You knew it was in trouble when there was a wait at other restaurants on a Saturday night, but you could walk right into Bro Jim's. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

In general chain restaurants are not doing well these days. Millenials just don't like them.

And I don't see the Gen Z entering RU to save these types of businesses. They're also experience oriented and no one is raving about chains on Snapchat (maybe Taco Bell, lol).

I also agree the service was awful. Outside of a club in NYC on NYE it was the longest I've ever waited to be served at the bar in my life. Generally the other bars on Easton and downtown are much better, even when crowded. I've been in SYF on packed nights up the street and been served quickly.

Reactions: Korbermeister
Yeah, I'm going to call BS on that as it's a gross exaggeration. Millennials eat at chains all the time, some of them don't even know that the places they are dining at are chains.

Obviously. Millennials who are single and/or without kids aren't eating at casual chain restaurants geared toward families. But there are plenty of chain restaurants that are growing with millennials. It is less about whether the restaurant is part of a chain, and more about what the restaurant offers. Maybe TGI Fridays will go the way of Howard Johnson's a generation earlier, but there will be another chain to take its place.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Yeah, I'm going to call BS on that as it's a gross exaggeration. Millennials eat at chains all the time, some of them don't even know that the places they are dining at are chains.

Obviously. Millennials who are single and/or without kids aren't eating at casual chain restaurants geared toward families. But there are plenty of chain restaurants that are growing with millennials. It is less about whether the restaurant is part of a chain, and more about what the restaurant offers. Maybe TGI Fridays will go the way of Howard Johnson's a generation earlier, but there will be another chain to take its place.

In terms of quality, would you put Brother Jimmy's closer to the Fridays side of the spectrum?

You are right in that some chains are doing well, like Surf Taco or Playa Bowls, but those are a little more niche.

I was not very impressed by Brother Jimmy's. Relative to other NB options chain or not- honestly I had better service at Fridays lol.

In terms of quality, would you put Brother Jimmy's closer to the Fridays side of the spectrum?

You are right in that some chains are doing well, like Surf Taco or Playa Bowls, but those are a little more niche.

I was not very impressed by Brother Jimmy's. Relative to other NB options chain or not- honestly I had better service at Fridays lol.

That's the point. People didn't frequent Brother Jimmy's because the food/service wasn't very good, not because it was a chain. If the food were better and the management was better, it would have been popular.

That's the point. People didn't frequent Brother Jimmy's because the food/service wasn't very good, not because it was a chain. If the food were better and the management was better, it would have been popular.

OK, well I guess we will see because I would imagine it will take a chain and not a mom and pop to take over that space.

The restaurant business is such a tough business. I would personally never invest in the food/bar service industry. You have to make it your life for it to work.

Bbq is in 50x better than brother Jimmys. Feel bad as I think a few RU players had investments in Brother Jimmys.
Dino BBQ is decent BBQ for the northeast. It can't really compare to Texas BBQ. Any run of the mill Texas BBQ joint is 100x better than Dino BBQ. I still can't believe how good Texas BBQ is from my trip to Austin last year.

Dino BBQ is decent BBQ for the northeast. It can't really compare to Texas BBQ. Any run of the mill Texas BBQ joint is 100x better than Dino BBQ. I still can't believe how good Texas BBQ is from my trip to Austin last year.

That's the truth....doesn't get much better than that, especially Texas brisket, IMO. I really miss it since not being in Austin any longer.

Feel like it would be a great spot for a brew pub. Let someone like magnify or cricket hill come open one.

Harvest Moon just doesn't do it for me. Plus look at other college towns like Ann arbor, chapel Hill, etc they all seem to have multiple

Feel like it would be a great spot for a brew pub. Let someone like magnify or cricket hill come open one.

Harvest Moon just doesn't do it for me. Plus look at other college towns like Ann arbor, chapel Hill, etc they all seem to have multiple
I honestly could see a craft brewery in that location, maybe Demented puts a NB location there. After they disparaged RU and offered a quarter assed apology, Harvest Moon is dead to me and I would never drink there again. Demented or Magnify putting a NB location would solve two problems...putting a quality craft brewery in NB and putting pressure on RU hating Harvest Moon.

Competition should be encouraged so I agree that NB could use at least one or more new brewpubs after all these years with just one. HM has been there for 20+ years now, IIRC it opened in '96 or '97. The BJ location could probably work well for that concept, or even just a decent sports bar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT