ADVERTISEMENT

Bucknell game

RutgersSouthFL

Redshirt
Nov 30, 2022
Rutgers should beat Bucknell on Friday but it is nevertheless a game that needs to be taken seriously. They are 7-4 and have been competitive in every game, including a 4-point loss on the road at Georgia. What will hopefully help RU most is that Bucknell has to play a road game on Wednesday at Richmond and then head up to Jersey less than 48 hours later. Hopefully RU can wear them down in the 2nd half and win by a comfortable margin.

How come there is no mention of offense including the number of turnovers in the last two games ?

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Tidbits …
King Rice’s son Xander from The Patrick School plays for Bucknell. I guess we should assume that King Rice will be at JMA.
Bucknell has two 7-footers.
Bucknell has a guard who belongs to Mensa.

Geez, Twister, you’re throwing a lot at me here to process: 7 footers, Mensa, King Rice offspring…worst case scenario and we’re screwed! 😄

How do you figure?
Both teams require nothing but sound effort to defeat them.
Why wouldn’t you whine if we lost to either?
My figuring is based on past precedent of our board fanatics: win, lose, or anything else and the noise can become...noise.

We've lost games we should've won (SHU, OSU, UM) but with them should be a healthy dose of perspective: SHU was a letdown game/lack of energy/OSU hangover, what-have-you. OSU was not the team's fault (though we can speculate about events leading to the conclusion and what could've been done to avoid said conclusion.) UM might be a case of THIS edition of our team needing to learn to play for the full game, etc.

As opposed to some lackluster play resulting in losses last year (which deserved the whining at times.)

But you did write it well: "require nothing but sound effort to defeat them" so IF we drop a game to either, one would hope it was not due to a lack of effort or desire.

But that's just me. Different fanatics deal with things a different way,

Last edited:
My figuring is based on past precedent of our board fanatics: win, lose, or anything else and the noise can become...noise.

We've lost games we should've won (SHU, OSU, UM) but with them should be a healthy dose of perspective: SHU was a letdown game/lack of energy/OSU hangover, what-have-you. OSU was not the team's fault (though we can speculate about events leading to the conclusion and what could've been done to avoid said conclusion.) UM might be a case of THIS edition of our team needing to learn to play for the full game, etc.

As opposed to some lackluster play resulting in losses last year (which deserved the whining at times.)

But you did write it well: "require nothing but sound effort to defeat them" so IF we drop a game to either, one would hope it was not due to a lack of effort or desire.

But that's just me. Different fanatics deal with things a different way,

Don’t forget Temple

Don’t forget Temple
To me it comes down to one thing regarding coppin state and bucknell.

Will they have the ability to put on ball pressure and get up in passing lanes so our half court offense is disrupted and ran further out then we want.

Temple did this PLUS Simpson and Spencer were the primary ball handlers. Can coppin state and bucknell take us out of our comfort zone?

I am guessing not, but I don’t know the personnel. I am fairly confident with depth at every position that the defensive effort and execution will be there. Wake was 6-9 from 3 in 1st half so we absorbed a hot shooting team.

Bucknell lost by 10 last night at Richmond. They played well offensively in the 2nd half, but it wasn't enough to overcome a 16-point halftime deficit.

Rutgers having fresh legs should definitely be a big help tomorrow.

Bucknell is playing @ Richmond tomorrow before our game on Friday and...

Coppin St is playing @ Richmond on Dec 28th before our game on the 30th, next Fri.

These are the little things that make a big difference. Any hope for an upset has to be severely hampered by the fresh legs advantage RU will have. Nothing is guaranteed but thank you scheduling Gods.

I was told not to sleep on Dean Reiber and I didn’t. I am tired. Taking a nap.

All kidding aside, I am a bit surprised that Reiber has appeared to have regressed rather than taking the next step forward this year. I thought he would be a good 10-15 min per game contributor this year.

That was before Woolf came in and outplayed Dean at the 5.

I think Reiber is showing that he's more suited as a stretch 5, but there's no minutes there right now between Omoruyi/Wolf... and he's just not that suited to the 4, so he's not seeing much time at all at either spot. Curious if he's getting more burn at the 4 or the 5 in practices.

They can shoot threes, so they can beat anybody if they get hot from deep. Our perimeter defense needs to NOT sag down into the paint.

Exactly. Their top three starters shoot 53%, 52% and 42% respectively from three-point land for the season. That is impressive against any competition!

Exactly. Their top three starters shoot 53%, 52% and 42% respectively from three-point land for the season. That is impressive against any competition!

Sorted by 3PA/Game:

6.2 (.419) - Rice (6-3)... with .556 3PAr
3.2 (.526) - Edmonds (6-2)... with .567 3PAr
2.8 (.529) - Motta (6-6)
2.8 (.303) - Van Der Heijden (6-9)... with .611 3PAr

By contrast, the only "rotational" player (using the term loosely) we have with a 3PAr north of .500 is Reiber at .588

They shoot a ton of threes, and their shooters have height.

Last edited:
Well, if we destroy Bucknell and Coppin the negatoids will whine…. If we lose to either, hoo boy…we’ll need a few cases of cheese to go with the barrels….

Isn't it usually the opposite?
We crush Columbia and Sacred Heart and it's "Clif is a 1st round draft pick!"?
For every dumb "Fire Pike!" we get an equally dumb "Cam can replace RHJ scoring".

The exuberance goes both ways.

Reactions: RUHouston
Don’t forget Temple

To me it comes down to one thing regarding coppin state and bucknell.

Will they have the ability to put on ball pressure and get up in passing lanes so our half court offense is disrupted and ran further out then we want.

Temple did this PLUS Simpson and Spencer were the primary ball handlers. Can coppin state and bucknell take us out of our comfort zone?

I am guessing not, but I don’t know the personnel. I am fairly confident with depth at every position that the defensive effort and execution will be there. Wake was 6-9 from 3 in 1st half so we absorbed a hot shooting team.
Temple game is pointless to draw comparisons to. We were missing Paul and Caleb. That's clearly the reason for the loss and ball pressure will be less effective with them on the court against lower level competition

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT