ADVERTISEMENT

Bud Harrelson

As a HUGE Mets fan growing up, Harrelson was one of my favorite players, sad to hear. I will always remember this scene in the 73 playoffs. Somehow I still have all my Mets baseball cards, they were the only ones I saved. From 1967-1975.

s-l300.jpg

I would batboy for the Mets in spring training.
Buddy would give me his extra pair of uniform pants to wear because they were smaller than the batboy pants, he played at 145 pounds.
He would be in the on deck circle getting ready to hit against Bob Gibson or Bob Veale, he’d say to me “watch me rip this guys tits kid”
He’d break his bat and hit a weak ground ball to second, he’d come back to the dugout and roll his eyes at me smiling.
He knew he’d save a run with his glove,
and win games with his defense.
He was all the Mets pitchers best friend out there.

Great memories of that 69 season. Grote, was a reason I became a catcher, and Buddy was a great SS. Sad to hear about this.At 14, that season was probably the best time of my life as a Mets fan.

Buddy would give me his extra pair of uniform pants to wear because they were smaller than the batboy pants, he played at 145 pounds.
He would be in the on deck circle getting ready to hit against Bob Gibson or Bob Veale, he’d say to me “watch me rip this guys tits kid”
He’d break his bat and hit a weak ground ball to second, he’d come back to the dugout and roll his eyes at me smiling.

Best post of the year.

As a HUGE Mets fan growing up, Harrelson was one of my favorite players, sad to hear. I will always remember this scene in the 73 playoffs. Somehow I still have all my Mets baseball cards, they were the only ones I saved. From 1967-1975.

s-l300.jpg

Do you have the Seaver rookie card from 1967? I always wanted that card but it was too expensive by the time I started collecting.

I also despised Pete Rose from that moment onward. We have the same birthday (obviously different years) which never made me happy. I recall Willie Mays, Yogi, and Tom Seaver had to go out and plead to the left field fans not to throw things at Rose after that incident (Rose was playing left field in that game).

That's the cool kind of story folks like to hear from an insider. Thanks.

Do you have the Seaver rookie card from 1967? I always wanted that card but it was too expensive by the time I started collecting.

I also despised Pete Rose from that moment onward. We have the same birthday (obviously different years) which never made me happy. I recall Willie Mays, Yogi, and Tom Seaver had to go out and plead to the left field fans not to throw things at Rose after that incident (Rose was playing left field in that game).

I do, as well as 2 of Nolan Ryan's rookie card. Most of them are not worth much due to the tack hole in the top from hanging them up in my room as a kid.

Little Buddy Harrelson was definitely a met fan favorite. Always wondered if he may have been a better hitter if he did not switch hit. Seemed to have a little more pop right handed. Sorry to hear about this development.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Harrelson to Boswell to Kranepool! DOUBLE PLAY!

As a Mets fan with friends who were Mets fans.. had a friend that had a repeating nightmare where the Cubbies Ron Santo was chasing my 10 year old pal and Bud Harrelson around the stands in Shea stadium with a bat.. the brain is a funny thing.

Best Wishes for BH. Hope there is some kind of breakthru on Alzheimers and Parkinsons soon.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Since were talking about past Mets... Anyone remember a pitcher named Jim McAndrew. He pitched in the late 60s early 70s for the Mets. @zappaa do you remember the guy?

The reason I asked is he was my teacher in 6th grade. One day he brought in a Mets Team picture to show to a couple of us boys who had a close relationship with him. And none of us believed him when he told us it was him in it. We thought he was pulling our leg(s). Felt bad later after remembering how sad he looked that we didn't believe him.

He forgave us and we had a great year paling around with him. He was a very nice man.

Last edited:
One of my childhood heroes is battling Alzheimer’s.
When I was a kid I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the ballpark with my dad.
Looking back in retrospect, obviously he was an excellent defensive player, but as a Kid he was a hall of famer to me.
Good luck Buddy
One of my favorite players growing up. Loved it when he took on Pete Rose in the NL championship series.

When I was a kid I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the ballpark with my dad.
Looking back in retrospect, obviously he was an excellent defensive player, but as a Kid he was a hall of famer to me.
Good luck Buddy
I had his baseball card tucked in my hat for good luck when I played. Prayers go out to him.

Wow, sad to hear. I wish him well. He was my favorite Met when I was growing up. I remember always wearing number 3 every year that I played shortstop in little league, and pretending to be Bud and trying to emulate him while fielding grounders as a boy. It's sad to see your childhood idols age.

Good luck Buddy

Sad, big Mets fan in the later 60s in time to catch the 69 run.
An all to prevalent disease, 1 in 4 at risk if you make it to age 85. We all need to eat a good fish meal once a week.

73- my favorite Met team...11 y/o and if not taking Stargell's batting stance it was Milan or The Hammer..John Milner. But my Fav's (not counting pitchers) on the team in order were Buddy, Kranepool, Grote, Milan, Milner, Staub, Garrett...loved those guys but have no idea how we ever scored runs. hahahaha - Zap, I have a confession...I never copied your stance :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: though, you probably could have batted cleanup on those teams

Great memories of that 69 season. Grote, was a reason I became a catcher, and Buddy was a great SS. Sad to hear about this.At 14, that season was probably the best time of my life as a Mets fan.
I was living on the Island in that year and we had the Jets, Knicks, and Mets as champs and landed on the moon to boot! What a year it was. If I recall, Bud was a LI guy, too.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Since were talking about past Mets... Anyone remember a pitcher named Jim McAndrew. He pitched in the late 60s early 70s for the Mets. @zappaa do you remember the guy?

The reason I asked is he was my teacher in 6th grade. One day he brought in a Mets Team picture to show to a couple of us boys who had a close relationship with him. And none of us believed him when he told us it was him in it. We thought he was pulling our leg(s). Felt bad later after remembering how sad he looked that we didn't believe him.

He forgave us and we had a great year paling around with him. He was a very nice man.

I remember him. I believe he wore #43. Had a fairly deliberate big motion delivery. A serviceable start for a few years. I thought came from one of less populated states but I could be wrong. Long time ago.

I remember Jim McAndrew, was a Mets fan from early on. Remember listening to the games on radio during the 69 world series.

Jim McAndrew was my favorite pitcher. My dad took me to my first Mets game in 1972. McAndrew was pitching against the Montreal Expos and he became my favorite player. Remember the game as if it was yesterday. Mets won 3-1. Agee hit a HR. McAndrew lasted 6 and Tug ended up getting the win. During the game an Expo player flipped off the crowd and the Mets fans really let him have it. McAndrew would only last another 2 years with the Mets.

I remember McAndrew. I have the 1969 Mets team photo hanging in my office. Just took a look for Buddy and Jim. (This is the photo that some non-baseball fans look at curiously, unable to identify anyone except Yogi. Then they say, what's Yogi doing in a Mets uniform?)
Pretty cool to have a teacher who played in the big leagues. What town was he teaching in?

That's funny - I also remember Rose being interviewed on Phil Donahue and they were talking about that game. He said the restaurant in NY they ate at that night burned his steak too.

s-l300.jpg
Great photo. My Grandmother was a huge Met fan and listened to or watched every game. I remember sitting in her kitchen listening to this playoff game on the Radio. My grandmother never cursed in my presence except one. When Buddy fought Pete Rose. I learned words I have never heard a sailor utter that afternoon. God bless Bud.

I remember him. I believe he wore #43. Had a fairly deliberate big motion delivery. A serviceable start for a few years. I thought came from one of less populated states but I could be wrong. Long time ago.

IIRC he was from the midwest originally. Like I said just a wonderful man.

I remember McAndrew. I have the 1969 Mets team photo hanging in my office. Just took a look for Buddy and Jim. (This is the photo that some non-baseball fans look at curiously, unable to identify anyone except Yogi. Then they say, what's Yogi doing in a Mets uniform?)
Pretty cool to have a teacher who played in the big leagues. What town was he teaching in?

Twin Hills Elementary School in Willingboro in South Jersey. He was also a no nonsense chief of the safety patrol - who were basically student crosswalk guards. @herdof3 and I were just beginning to be friends back then. I don't think he was in Mr. McAndrew's class with me though.

Reactions: rutger80
I thought you got by on your good looks and charm?

That only worked on the young girls.

And in high school, on a particularly hot English teacher.

I mean, she probably would have given me an 'A' anyway, but...

Jim McAndrew was my favorite pitcher. My dad took me to my first Mets game in 1972. McAndrew was pitching against the Montreal Expos and he became my favorite player. Remember the game as if it was yesterday. Mets won 3-1. Agee hit a HR. McAndrew lasted 6 and Tug ended up getting the win. During the game an Expo player flipped off the crowd and the Mets fans really let him have it. McAndrew would only last another 2 years with the Mets.

Thanks man. Wish I could like this post twice.

Reactions: RURM85
Anyway sorry for the derail on this thread best wishes to Buddy and his family.

this is a small bud h. tibit story,,,,,i'm a 72 grad from bellville h.s...my friend is a 73 grad and , played on the baseball team. we'd play montclair in the old big 10
conf...in 73 yogi managed the mets, and dale berra was a freshman starting varsity for the mounties.........my friend trying to be helpful to the young fosh dale, pointed out a flaw in his foot work at ss,,,dale responded, and i quote "that's not how buddy showed me",,,,,meaning bud h....we all had a big laugh, and the young dale turned out to be a pretty good ball player..​

Reactions: cicero grimes
ADVERTISEMENT