ADVERTISEMENT

Build only up to 1062

As been pointed out several times these gifts are great and those people deserve a world of credit but no school gets anything done with just hundreds or thousands of smaller donations. Look at any school in the B1G or Power 5 and you'll see 1, 2, or a number of donations in the tens of millions financing projects. Penn State's Arena (Pegula's $88 million donation) and the Athletic Complex at Northwestern where $70 million plus came from 5 individual donations are two fairly recent examples.

Far be it for me to say anyone should donate any amount but his project desperately needs 10 or more extremely generous people like the Browns, Towers, etc, along with those of us who donate what we can.

Reactions: NorthNJRUFan
As been pointed out several times these gifts are great and those people deserve a world of credit but no school gets anything done with just hundreds or thousands of smaller donations. Look at any school in the B1G or Power 5 and you'll see 1, 2, or a number of donations in the tens of millions financing projects. Penn State's Arena (Pegula's $88 million donation) and the Athletic Complex at Northwestern where $70 million plus came from 5 individual donations are two fairly recent examples.

Far be it for me to say anyone should donate any amount but his project desperately needs 10 or more extremely generous people like the Browns, Towers, etc, along with those of us who donate what we can.
Hobbs said he wanted 10,000 donors. That's $25 million or so from the average guy and $50 million from big donors.

Reactions: demauroj
Hey, today is Friday and payday for many. Just give what you can. $25, $50, $75, $100, $500, $1000, $10,000, $100,000, etc.

If everyone that post on this board just gave something, anything, that would add up a quite a bit.

I understand that many don't have extra money to give away, but anyone can at least do $25.

Those who are doing better, please give more, heck get your name on something :sunglasses:

speak for yourself--I'm still working-although I do come and go as I please--by the way prove me wrong and send in your week's beer $ --at least

Hopefully,there will be a large article and/or ad in the upcoming issue of Rutgers Magazine with phone numbers,address,email,etc. about how to donate and where it is going.

It's May 20. How do we know how many donated since May 12? Plus not everyone knows about this particular fund. I actually didn't and I regularly donate to Rutgers athletics. I just donated to this fund after May 12, so it's definitely higher than 1062 :P

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
The old fans are the cheapest one's. The old alums for years were giving nothing which is why we have always been near the bottom in giving back to Rutgers. The old fans complain about rising ticket prices and hot dogs prices im no spring chicken graduated in 1999 but I think on a whole it's the newer grads and alums that are stepping up more. IMO

The old fans are the cheapest one's. The old alums for years were giving nothing which is why we have always been near the bottom in giving back to Rutgers. The old fans complain about rising ticket prices and hot dogs prices im no spring chicken graduated in 1999 but I think on a whole it's the newer grads and alums that are stepping up more. IMO

That's a lot of assumptions with nothing to back it up. Just another it's someone else's fault post.

It's not the age of the fans, it's the age of the fanbase as an entity. Up until 10 years ago it was considered a major plus if there were 30,000 people in the stadium and that was back when you could get a good seat really cheap. Back when you were in school they couldn't get students to come to games. Do you really think they now make up the bulk of whatever donations RU can scrape up? Seems pretty iffy to me.

Young or old Rutgers just doesn't have the alumni resource most of it's peers enjoy. It's changing but it will likely never get to the Nebraska, Michigan, OSU, and yes, PSU levels. Just not enough people invested in RU Athletics. Apathy knows no age demographic.

Reactions: hiwater
That's a lot of assumptions with nothing to back it up. Just another it's someone else's fault post.

It's not the age of the fans, it's the age of the fanbase as an entity. Up until 10 years ago it was considered a major plus if there were 30,000 people in the stadium and that was back when you could get a good seat really cheap. Back when you were in school they couldn't get students to come to games. Do you really think they now make up the bulk of whatever donations RU can scrape up? Seems pretty iffy to me.

Young or old Rutgers just doesn't have the alumni resource most of it's peers enjoy. It's changing but it will likely never get to the Nebraska, Michigan, OSU, and yes, PSU levels. Just not enough people invested in RU Athletics. Apathy knows no age demographic.
Yes, Yes, Yes. There are 2 separate groups of fans and probably still are to a degree. Local people who enjoy seeing college football and supporting RU by showing up on game day. Many of these people also made donations and have no affiliation to RU. But their donations are next to nothing compared to what is expected/required today. The old RU had endowments to finance many of the projects of yesteryear and the costs were substantially less.
The alums probably donated whatever and was used as needed and supplemented existing funds. Not nearly as many athletic upgrades were required because we weren't in the B1G and competing in dollars with wealthier schools. Now everything affects something ! In order to attract better players, you need great facilities and if what you have is old, it costs BIG BUCKS.
The other thing is that a lot of people donated for years and still haven't seen results. So why would they continue to donate at elevated levels ? My dad use to donate $ 500 - 1,000 yearly in the 50' s, 60' s and 70' s (nothing by today's standards), but he lived in NB and loved RU. He attended any sporting event they played and I went too. People like him don't have the kind of dollars to contribute to get things done. So it falls back on the Alums who can afford to give back at today's levels or Big contributors.
Not to be selfish, but the older fans probably won't reap the benefits of RU stepping up as compared to the younger fan base. They haven't seen it happen consistently while the younger group will see it happen at some point. It's a different time and the rules have changed.

Reactions: The Original Rah
hey knightsh#t--for your info I've given 4 times already to the build fund and I would bet I donate many ,many times more than you each and every year to RU and this age sh#t is so ridiculous but it's even more infantile--some of you know absolutely NOTHING

how does it feel to be called out? not good. your major obligations are behind you. some of us have mortgages, college tuition and mandatory health insurance to pay for, things you probably don't have to worry about. and housing is expensive in this state. so we don't need some old timer telling people to donate. some people are tapped out. and some of us don't need to come on the board and beat our chests over how much we gave.

hey knightsh#t--for your info I've given 4 times already to the build fund and I would bet I donate many ,many times more than you each and every year to RU and this age sh#t is so ridiculous but it's even more infantile--some of you know absolutely NOTHING

Ummm, you seem to have a problem. Your individual donation has nothing to so with what I said. Read it again. I said Rutgers doesn't have enough people who donate because it's a relatively small and new fan base as opposed to the schools RU is competing against.

I also took exception to the oft stated opinion around here that older folks are responsible for whatever ills affecting RU. According to the stats for giving back to the school every age group is severely lacking.

Like 52's dad I'm not an alum but have been making small donations almost 20 years. The amount has increased the past 5 years or so. I just don't come here and talk about it or expect people to pat me on the back for doing it.

Take a deep breath man.

Reactions: RUsince52
no ones "beating their chest"--and your call out is so weak ,its dumbass-- no one's so tapped out they can't give something/anything, the only one being called out are those making excuses---and you' re an uninformed dummy to say my major obligations are behind me-you know sh#t about peoples obligations-any macho man demanding wins and excellence who doesn't give to this effort is a phoney

knightfan--I'm not commenting on anything you wrote--it was this comment I was addressing --"ru66 should give even more if he is still working. A lot more"

I want everyone on the board to include Rutgers University as a beneficial in your will for no less than 3% and no more than 15%.

no ones "beating their chest"--and your call out is so weak ,its dumbass-- no one's so tapped out they can't give something/anything, the only one being called out are those making excuses---and you' re an uninformed dummy to say my major obligations are behind me-you know sh#t about peoples obligations-any macho man demanding wins and excellence who doesn't give to this effort is a phoney

ok, thought you meant me by the way you addressed the poster.

geez knightfan7 you are the one lost--I am commenting on knight shift (aka knightsh#t)--are you one and the same?

One thing is certain most on this board and the pay board have not donated. This is sad since we are all the "die hards". What do we have on both boards total? I'd say atleast 3000 people and only about 1200 people in total have donated. We suck as a whole I wonder if all the BIG Eastern division was doing the same thing if they would struggle as much as this fan base? There is no excuse why such a small amount of people have donated. It's pathetic and embarrassing IMO.

Reactions: RedSpartan
One thing is certain most on this board and the pay board have not donated. This is sad since we are all the "die hards". What do we have on both boards total? I'd say atleast 3000 people and only about 1200 people in total have donated. We suck as a whole I wonder if all the BIG Eastern division was doing the same thing if they would struggle as much as this fan base? There is no excuse why such a small amount of people have donated. It's pathetic and embarrassing IMO.

I don't believe anyone has the right to tell another how to spend their money but you're right. It's sad that more don't want to donate even $50 or $100.

The "old" alumns have given plenty. I think you forget something: Rutgers was Rutgers College, a small school, until the early 70's. Most of the guys still attending football games from before then, like my dad, have given plenty over the years and will be leaving something in their wills and whatnot. This is not just an athletics-donating issue, either, but things are slowly changing as more and more alumni who graduated once the schools combined, to form the university, hit their prime giving years.

The "old" alumns have given plenty. I think you forget something: Rutgers was Rutgers College, a small school, until the early 70's. Most of the guys still attending football games from before then, like my dad, have given plenty over the years and will be leaving something in their wills and whatnot. This is not just an athletics-donating issue, either, but things are slowly changing as more and more alumni who graduated once the schools combined, to form the university, hit their prime giving years.
what years are prime?

Has Johnson and Johnson donated? You know, the largest and most profitable pharmaceutical company in the world whose headquarters are 100 feet from Old Queens?

I wouldn't expect one from J&J. Healthcare profits are down tremendously due to Obamacare and its effects.

Focus more on getting alumni to participate more.

I wouldn't expect one from J&J. Healthcare profits are down tremendously due to Obamacare and its effects.

Focus more on getting alumni to participate more.
Even a $10 million dollar donation from a company as huge as J&J is pocket change for them. I'm just surprised Rutgers hasn't taken full advantage of such a giant company that is basically on campus. This is true about academics as well. J&J can single handily turn RU into a top 25 institution. Or at least turn our pharmD program (which is already very good but could be better) into a top 5 program.

I know J&J does donate to Rutgers but just not to the degree which what you would expect. I know DuPont donates a crap load to UDel which is part of the reason they have a larger endowment that we do.

Johnson & Johnson Practice Facility anyone?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT