ADVERTISEMENT

Bullock question

I think he's just our 7th guy right now at the 1-3 spots, so he's not seeing much burn.... Sanders, Thiam, Laurent as starters... then Johnson, Williams, Omoruyi, and Bullock off the bench, in that order.

My guess is that he's just not at the level of those guys yet, and is still developing. The way Pike is rotating players and going deep into the bench, I'd expect Bullock to see minutes if he earned them. He's a true frosh and behind a lot of guys on the depth chart right now - we'll see how he develops over time.

I hope he's practicing 3s. There can be a role for him at some point. If not this year, next.

Teams don't really play 12 guys deep. I'll leave it at that.

Can he redshirt still?

I do not know if the rules for bball are the same as football. He did play a little against Molloy. other than that I have not heard his name mentioned in any other game.

I doubt he's going to get much time this year if everyone stays healthy. My guess is that he'll have either developed enough to see time as a junior when Johnson/Williams graduate, or he'll transfer somewhere that will give him playing time.

Reactions: RUJMM78
from what ive read he is a bull...scrapper type on the inside

ive been wondering too......I hope he gets minutes in the next 5 games
scrappers are always welcome(read" Rashod Kent style" )

Reactions: NickyNewark51
neither. you just can't play everybody on the bench. he's a true frosh 8 games into D1 Basketball. We have a lot of guys 1-10 that have to develop before we hit the league schedule.

We're trying to win games and put a team together that can compete in the B1G...

neither. you just can't play everybody on the bench. he's a true frosh 8 games into D1 Basketball. We have a lot of guys 1-10 that have to develop before we hit the league schedule.

We're trying to win games and put a team together that can compete in the B1G...

This is true. The only guys coming in without prior experience are Thiam, Omoruyi, and Bullock... and only Thiam has really been a part of the standard rotation (and showed well enough in practice to be named a starter). Let's let these guys develop and see how they are as sophomores and juniors.

Rotation at PG/SG/SF by min played and experience:
28.6 Sanders - 34 games
24.4 Johnson - 69 games
23.3 Williams - 68 games
21.0 Thiam - 7 games (but showed well enough in practice to be named starter, and is 6-9)
19.9 Laurent - 34 games
9.4 Omoruyi - 7 games
2.0 Bullock - 2 games

Rotation at PF/C by min played and experience:
26.3 Freeman - 15 games (and Juco)
20.4 Gettys - 75 games
19.4 Sa - 7 games (and Juco)
6.3 Doorson - 35 games
2.0 Diallo - 16 games

Have seen him play throughout high school and don't feel he's a B1G level player. Bullock is really a heavily undersized post player when it boils down. Believe the staff probably only took him to mke some inroads with one of the top high school programs in the state and the fact that he played aau for a sneaker program that will always produce kids in NJ. Don't think he lasts at Rutgers. The kid wants to play and I don't see it happening here.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
He played a bit in the first two games. I don't think he can redshirt. He's a project for sure.

he had adequate time to show what he can do in practice. i am sure Pikiell would reward him with minutes if he showed something.

the growing debate about his weight probably is an issue too. If you are looking to make an impact early and you have more intangibles than tools I'd think you would come to camp in the best shape possible.

His only Power 5 offer was from Rutgers. He played his high school ball at a very high profile school. College coach's were in and out of that high school recruiting and no one offered. When he signed here the boards many keyboard talent evaluators called him a great player who would do well here. Hope I am wrong but he will probably be looking for another home soon.

He was taken to form an inroad with the RC program, the above poster has it correct. And there's nothing wrong with that. After this year he can re-evaluate his options. I am sure he would flourish at a NEC level school.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Why are we expecting true freshmen to get significant minutes?

Usually true freshmen get limited time behind players with more experience, and get worked in more as they develop within the system. That's fairly normal. True freshmen usually only see significant time when they're superstars, or they're on teams that lack talent/depth among their existing roster.

Not worried that Bullock isn't seeing time. Let him take the year to develop, seeing spot minutes as he earns them, and see how he looks as a sophomore.

Why are we expecting true freshmen to get significant minutes?

Usually true freshmen get limited time behind players with more experience, and get worked in more as they develop within the system. That's fairly normal. True freshmen usually only see significant time when they're superstars, or they're on teams that lack talent/depth among their existing roster.

Not worried that Bullock isn't seeing time. Let him take the year to develop, seeing spot minutes as he earns them, and see how he looks as a sophomore.
Totally disagree. Is Eugene Omoruyi a superstar? He's playing. Ru fanatic hit the nail on the head above.

He is in my book. Isn't this his 4th year playing basketball? Thaim and Omoruyi are nice pieces.
I didn't say they were or they weren't nice pieces. I said Omuruyi was not a "superstar" which was the description of the type of player that gets significant playing time as a freshman according to the other poster.

Totally disagree. Is Eugene Omoruyi a superstar? He's playing. Ru fanatic hit the nail on the head above.

Yes, he's playing, but he's not in the primary rotation for minutes. Omoruyi's got 9.4 minutes per game right now... a fair amount of which was in short stints or late in games that we had in hand. That's about what you'd expect from a true freshman. He's played 66 total minutes, or just under 5% of total team minutes. It's clear that Pike has him ahead of Bullock right now, so Omoruyi gets to be the 6th man in the rotation at the 1-3.

Don't see that as doom and gloom for Bullock, just that he's not at a place right now where he warrants being the 6th guard on the court.

Now, next year, assuming no one leaves, he'll also have Geo Baker to contend with for minutes. I'd imagine it'll be decision time at some point for him - whether he's earned enough minutes to warrant staying, or if he'll transfer in search of a larger role. He has the opportunity to play his way to more minutes - but if he doesn't, I'm sure he'll be encouraged to explore his options and we'll have fostered some good will among his HS and AAU team (as mentioned above).

We're going 10 deep in our roster right now, which leaves Bullock and Diallo on the outside at the moment.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
We have essentially a solid 8 man rotation who are all seeing between 19.4-28.6 min per game.... then there's the "last man in" at guard (Omoruyi at 9.4 min) and big (Doorson at 6.3 min). Right now, Bullock would need to steal minutes away from Omoruyi after the established top five guys at the 1-3 spots (Sanders, Johnson, Williams, Thiam, Laurent)... and it seems Pike feels that Omoruyi provides more value in that final rotation spot right now.

Minutes for Bullock or anyone else on the roster don't need to come from a specific position. Pikiell often goes big to small to big in the middle of a half. The reality is an increase in minutes for Bullock or Omoruyri could come from Nigel Johnson or CJ Gettys or anywhere in between.

My prediction for B1G.......average and range

Sanders 33 36-28
Freeman 25 32-15
Johnson 24 30-13
Williams 24 30-13
Laurent 20 30-10
Sa 20 24-13
Thaim 20 28-14
Omoruryi 14 22-6
Gettys 14 22-8
Doorson 6 10-0

.....and i think we will see time w/o Sa AND Doorson AND Gettys on the floor....

Sanders, Williams. Thiam, Laurent, Freeman as an example

Minutes for Bullock or anyone else on the roster don't need to come from a specific position. Pikiell often goes big to small to big in the middle of a half. The reality is an increase in minutes for Bullock or Omoruyri could come from Nigel Johnson or CJ Gettys or anywhere in between.

My prediction for B1G.......average and range

Sanders 33 36-28
Freeman 25 32-15
Johnson 24 30-13
Williams 24 30-13
Laurent 20 30-10
Sa 20 24-13
Thaim 20 28-14
Omoruryi 14 22-6
Gettys 14 22-8
Doorson 6 10-0

Sure - but I think it'd be safe to say that the minutes are allocated largely on value to the team. That is, the staff is giving the most minutes to players who provide the most value, regardless of the lineup. Given that, if you were to take minutes away from Johnson or Gettys, who would they be given to? Likely, those minutes would trickle down by value - where Bullock and Diallo are at the bottom of the list right now, based on how many minutes the staff has been giving them.

If we had a game where a couple of our guys from 1-3 got into severe foul trouble, the rotation would dip down further into our depth... and Omoyuri would probably see more minutes before Bullock would, because he's above him on the value list. If we went with a small lineup for most of an entire game, and Gettys/Sa/Doorson saw their total minutes shrink to 20 or so combined, then we'd also see a lot more of Omoyuri and probably see Bullock get more minutes to spell the guards.

To your list, it looks like you're expecting us to do a lot of small ball in the Big Ten. Gettys/Sa/Doorson/Freeman would see an overall reduction of about 7.5 min per game (mostly from Gettys), which would go instead to Sanders/Omoruyi. Not sure why we'd go small so consistently - it seems a little counter-intuitive since we have the most height in the conference. Overall, players who stand taller than 6-7 would see 8.5 fewer minutes overall, with only Sa seeing a touch more time than he has so far. I do agree that Sa will probably start seeing more minutes than Gettys, though.

I think we have to play more of our best basketball players and that means going small. We have used our height as an advantage in OOC. We won't be able to get additional offense out of a bigger lineup in B1G, just be able to do a better job on both boards.

.....and i expect more of a role for Eugene O which i think ultimately comes from Gettys and Freeman.

Reactions: SirScarlet
He and Diallo seem to be the odd men out right now but everything is fluid isn't it? He will find a role through hard work and a coaching staff that is looking for a place for him to nest.

We finally have depth. What if someone gets hurt? No team stays 100% healthy all year. If we're going 10 deep, Diallo and Bullock have to be ready when their number is called. I hope Matt can drain the 3.

He will get minutes in the future its impossible for us to go the whole season without someone getting nicked up. That is why a 12 person team was that important.

He and Diallo seem to be the odd men out right now but everything is fluid isn't it? He will find a role through hard work and a coaching staff that is looking for a place for him to nest.
... through hard work [and injury and suspension to teammates] and ...

Choppin, Your math is incorrect. Omoruyi has played 66 minutes out of a team total of 280 minutes. That is not below 5% but is 23.6%. If he was playing 10 minutes a game he would be at 25%. I think you are getting the less than 5% by taking 280 minutes times 5 getting 1400 minutes. That is not the way to figure what percentage a guy is playing. If that is what you are doing than a guy playing 30 minutes a game would only have 210 total minutes out a possible 1400 minutes which would only be a little over 14%.

Last edited:
Choppin, Your math is incorrect. Omoruyi has played 66 minutes out of a team total of 280 minutes. That is not below 5% but is 23.6%. If he was playing 10 minutes a game he would be at 25%. I think you are getting the less than 5% by taking 280 minutes times 5 getting 1400 minutes. That is not the way to figure what percentage a guy is playing. If that is what you are doing than a guy playing 30 minutes a game would only have 210 total minutes out a possible 1400 minutes which would only be a little over 14%.

There's no "team total of 280 minutes" - I think you mean a single player maximum across 7 games (7 games * 40 minutes = 280 minutes). Which is to say that he's playing 23.6% of his maximum possible minutes. And that's one way to look at it, and it again lines up with a roleplaying freshman getting more limited minutes than the starters and first guys off the bench (who routinely play 50-90% of their possible minutes).

Maybe look at it relative to the minutes other players get playing the 1-3 spots... Sanders sees the floor 3x as much, Johnson 2.6x, Williams 2.5x, Thiam 2.2x, Laurent 2.1x... every other non PF/C on the team is seeing 2-3x his minutes, and that makes sense for where he's at right now. He's the the 9th guy in a 10 man rotation.

As I said above, we have a consistent 8 man rotation of guys all getting 19+ minutes, and then we have Omoruyi and Doorson getting less than half that time (and frequently in short stints, or late in games). And then there's Bullock and Diallo outside the rotation entirely, who would need to show that they provide more valuable minutes than the guys ahead of them right now in order to see the floor.

Last edited:
Choppin, Now we are on the same page but I always look at how much a guy is playing as to a 40 minute game. I know 8 guys are getting about a half a game or more Omoruyi is playing just under 10 minutes a game which think is pretty good. He has gotten into every game in the first half I believe except one. He is a very important member of the team who plays physical and passes very well. I think his minutes will go up. I have been at every game except DePaul and he has been getting important minutes when we need a more physical game. One game changed completely when he came in. I think he will wind up at about 12-13 minutes per game but I could be wrong. That would be over a quarter of a game which I think is very good for a freshman.

Choppin, Now we are on the same page but I always look at how much a guy is playing as to a 40 minute game. I know 8 guys are getting about a half a game or more Omoruyi is playing just under 10 minutes a game which think is pretty good. He has gotten into every game in the first half I believe except one. He is a very important member of the team who plays physical and passes very well. I think his minutes will go up. I have been at every game except DePaul and he has been getting important minutes when we need a more physical game. One game changed completely when he came in. I think he will wind up at about 12-13 minutes per game but I could be wrong. That would be over a quarter of a game which I think is very good for a freshman.

He has been doing well, and I do hope that continues (and that he improves, too). He's getting the minutes I'd expect right now, and it's clear Pike is trying to lay a foundation for him moving forward by getting him time in different situations. Having him also gives Pike more of an opportunity to sit guys ahead of him when they aren't playing in control or need some direction from an assistant coach, which makes everyone better.

I don't know about 12-13 minutes per game, though, unless FIG's prediction of us playing a ton of small ball happens. As Omoyuri develops, I'd expect Thiam to, too - as both are getting acclimated to the speed and size of the college game. Williams also probably deserves more minutes than he's been getting, as he's the most consistent shooter we have right now. That'd mean reducing time for Sanders/Johnson/Laurent in some way... so it's hard to see where minutes might come from without reducing time for the bigs (while Sa also seems like he could see more minutes down low).

We'll see where Pike takes the rotation once we hit more significant games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT