ADVERTISEMENT

Bumped Into BTN's Jon Crispin Tonight...

DirtyRU

All American
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
... as my son is in his brother Joe's basketball camp at Rowan, and Jon helps out. Chatted with him for a bit, and a few quick things:

1. He left BTN, took a job with ESPN. He said he'll be working a lot of ACC games but that Bilas gets all the premier ACC matchups, obviously. Said the main reason why he switched was less travel.

2. He said he absolutely LOVES Coach Pike and called him one of the nicest head coaches in the country.

3. As we were parting he yelled to me "I hope Steve doesn't do TOO well at RU." I asked why and he said "Because I want you guys to hang onto him for as long as possible!" AKA he's afraid a bigtime program might be able to steal Pike away if he wins too much at RU.

Nothing earth-shattering, but it was nice chatting RU hoops during the off-season with someone in the industry. :Rutgers

I don't think he's going anywhere. I think he's really genuine and loves being at Rutgers. Besides, if he gets to the point where he's competing for the Big 10 title every year which I think is very possible then there's not many places to move up to, plus he's a northeast guy. I don't see him pulling a Schiano.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I think he's really genuine and loves being at Rutgers. Besides, if he gets to the point where he's competing for the Big 10 title every year which I think is very possible then there's not many places to move up to, plus he's a northeast guy. I don't see him pulling a Schiano.
Never say never.
Pike might want to stay, but it will be up to the RU administration to make him happy at Rutgers and that includes more than salary.
If Pike has RU moving towards the top and needs a little more support from the AD to do that, if he gets it he'll probably be a lifer.
But deny him what he feels he needs to move up to the top and his competitive spirit might have him look for a school that allows him to compete with the best on an equal bases.

Never say never.
Pike might want to stay, but it will be up to the RU administration to make him happy at Rutgers and that includes more than salary.
If Pike has RU moving towards the top and needs a little more support from the AD to do that, if he gets it he'll probably be a lifer.
But deny him what he feels he needs to move up to the top and his competitive spirit might have him look for a school that allows him to compete with the best on an equal bases.
If Hobbs is here and Pikiell is doing well, Hobbs will do all he can to hang on to him.

Reactions: PeteGiam07
If it’s one thing Hobbs will do that is good from a major revenue sports standpoint, it ll be extending / raising compensation etc for Pikiell. Least of my concerns with Hobbs for who I am no big fan of.

Reactions: RUfromSoCal?
He and his brother at Pitman killed my Highland Park Owls with LJ Smith a few years in the states in the mid to late 90's .I am told they could shoot from half court blind. Ok exaggerating a little. Time passes ya know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT